The Forever BVS connection

Started by eledoremassis02, Sat, 30 Apr 2016, 08:32

Previous topic - Next topic
Sat, 30 Apr 2016, 08:32 Last Edit: Sat, 30 Apr 2016, 08:38 by eledoremassis02
Watching Batman V Superman I couldn't help but get the feeling that these films could be connected, or even to the Burton Schumacher franchise as a whole (even though they weren't)

- Bruce running away and falling into the cave during his parents funeral is one big thing
- Seeing Zorro (its different from Burton and established in the comics but there are the only two films to explore it)
- The Giant Bat. I know people are saying it's Man Bat but I think it's supposed to more of the "giant scary bat figure" that is Batman. Also when I saw that scene the first thing that come to mind was "what kind of a person has a Bat on the Brain"
- Two suits. I know batman has alot of suits but having a Second special suit later on in the movie reminded me of the 2 suits per movie in the Schumacher era
- Cinematography it's kind of silly but they do share some similar cinematography with the off balance shots and such and my brother pointed out that alot of the way that Batwing was shot had a schumacher feel

What do think? Is there anything that made you think "Batman Forever"?

Any associations between this film and the Burton movies would turn me against BvS even more.  >:(  I might eventually give this film a chance, assuming it is its own thing and a one-off in no way connected to the world that came before it.  But I'm fed up with having to embrace this film on other people's terms.  >:(  It's bad enough as it is.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: eledoremassis02 on Sat, 30 Apr  2016, 08:32
- Bruce running away and falling into the cave during his parents funeral is one big thing

The similarity is hard to ignore. What I liked about both versions is the image of the bat made Bruce understand how powerful of a symbol the animal is and how fearful it can be, without becoming completely afraid of it like in BB. Bruce's lines about wanting to strike terror among criminals in BF is more or less in tune to his intentions in the Golden Age comics. Whereas in BvS, he becomes mezmerised by bats as they help him get back up on the ground. From thereon in, he found his purpose in life during a time of mourning.

- The Giant Bat. I know people are saying it's Man Bat but I think it's supposed to more of the "giant scary bat figure" that is Batman. Also when I saw that scene the first thing that come to mind was "what kind of a person has a Bat on the Brain"

I'd say that nightmare tells us how being Batman has consumed him psychologically. Like in the cave fall scenes, both BF and BvS are inspired by the frightening image of the bat as shown in Frank Miller's comics (The Dark Knight Returns perhaps more so than Year One). Of course, the only difference is TDKR show Bruce falling into the cave before his parents were murdered.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

A perfect continuity would be:

Batman Begins -> Batman -> Batman Returns -> Batman Forever -> Batman & Robin -> Batman V Superman

(Ignore TDK, TDKR & Suicide Squad)

That's my official Batman movie timeline.  8)

Quote from: OutRiddled on Sat, 30 Apr  2016, 11:50

Batman Begins -> Batman -> Batman Returns -> Batman Forever -> Batman & Robin -> Batman V Superman

Nice idea, but you'd have to change the continuity between BB and B89 to make it fit together.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat, 30 Apr  2016, 12:55
Quote from: OutRiddled on Sat, 30 Apr  2016, 11:50

Nice idea, but you'd have to change the continuity between BB and B89 to make it fit together.

How?  It actually matches up perfectly.  You have the origin of Batman.  In B'89 we don't see Batman's origin.  You get the tease at the end with the Joker card.  Who has Joker cards in B'89?  JACK NAPIER.  It makes perfect sense.

Quote from: OutRiddled on Sat, 30 Apr  2016, 13:44
How?  It actually matches up perfectly.  You have the origin of Batman.  In B'89 we don't see Batman's origin.

You might have forgotten Bruce witnessing his parents being murdered by Jack Napier.  ;) Sure, it may not be a comprehensive origin story, but the backstory was still explored.

You get the tease at the end with the Joker card.  Who has Joker cards in B'89?  JACK NAPIER.  It makes perfect sense.

Yes, the Joker cards can match up to Jack Napier (although Jack didn't become flamboyant until he became the Joker, so Gordon's "taste in the theatrical" line at the end of BB wouldn't gel), but don't forget BB had Joe Chill responsible for murdering the Waynes. Not Jack. Plus, both endings to BB and B89 had the Batsignal introduced and would've conflicted with each other, Gordon had never met Batman before during the Axis Chemicals scene, whereas they began an acquaintance in BB. Besides, the first act of B89 portrayed Gotham City believing Batman was more of a urban legend, rather than a known force to be reckoned with by the end of BB.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sat, 30 Apr  2016, 09:50
Any associations between this film and the Burton movies would turn me against BvS even more.  >:(  I might eventually give this film a chance, assuming it is its own thing and a one-off in no way connected to the world that came before it.  But I'm fed up with having to embrace this film on other people's terms.  >:(  It's bad enough as it is.

Don't worry its pretty clear these are separate timelines. It's just a few things I thought of when watching the movie

Sat, 30 Apr 2016, 18:48 #8 Last Edit: Sat, 30 Apr 2016, 18:52 by OutRiddled
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat, 30 Apr  2016, 14:04
How?  It actually matches up perfectly.  You have the origin of Batman.  In B'89 we don't see Batman's origin.

You might have forgotten Bruce witnessing his parents being murdered by Jack Napier.  ;) Sure, it may not be a comprehensive origin story, but the backstory was still explored.

You get the tease at the end with the Joker card.  Who has Joker cards in B'89?  JACK NAPIER.  It makes perfect sense.

Yes, the Joker cards can match up to Jack Napier (although Jack didn't become flamboyant until he became the Joker, so Gordon's "taste in the theatrical" line at the end of BB wouldn't gel), but don't forget BB had Joe Chill responsible for murdering the Waynes. Not Jack. Plus, both endings to BB and B89 had the Batsignal introduced and would've conflicted with each other, Gordon had never met Batman before during the Axis Chemicals scene, whereas they began an acquaintance in BB. Besides, the first act of B89 portrayed Gotham City believing Batman was more of a urban legend, rather than a known force to be reckoned with by the end of BB.

Ok, some good points.

Joe Chill - remember the scene in B'89 is a flashback/memory and not literal.  It's the same with the scene in Batman Forever.  Bruce Wayne remembers it differently each time.
Gordon - it's possible he was pretending not to know Batman, since 'officially' he is a criminal
Urban Legend vs "known force" - that's debatable
The Bat Signal - I grant you that, but it still wasn't 'officially' adopted by the city at that point in BB
Jack's "flamboyancy" - that's debatable  :D

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat, 30 Apr  2016, 10:19

The similarity is hard to ignore. What I liked about both versions is the image of the bat made Bruce understand how powerful of a symbol the animal is and how fearful it can be, without becoming completely afraid of it like in BB. Bruce's lines about wanting to strike terror among criminals in BF is more or less in tune to his intentions in the Golden Age comics. Whereas in BvS, he becomes mezmerised by bats as they help him get back up on the ground. From thereon in, he found his purpose in life during a time of mourning.
I actually like how both Batman Forever and BvS consolidated the "Bruce falls into the cave" and "Bruce sees the bat and gains inspiration" scene by having him see the bats after his parents' deaths rather than before. Almost universally, none of the Batman unproduced scripts or movies have adapted the bat flying through the window scene from 1939. Perhaps filmmakers find it too cheesy?
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...