RIP Prince

Started by eledoremassis02, Thu, 21 Apr 2016, 17:02

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm really sad to see him go, especially so young.  I was visiting my mum for Christmas and we got on a Prince kick while driving around her hometown.  I found Prince's greatest hits CD for eight bucks (or something that was close enough to free) and I had to snap it up.  I had forgotten how much I loved his music.  All the way from "I Wanna Be Your Lover" to the 90s stuff he did like Diamonds and Pearls.  The last album of his that I remember buying was 3121 or Musicology.  I can't remember which came first.  I mean, he was the real deal.  Just like Michael Keaton said, he's the kind of guy you expected to be watching into his 80s.  And every time I hear Scandalous when the Batman credits roll, I remember being that kid, watching that movie, and I'm transported back to that wonderful time in my life.  Thanks Prince.  Rest in peace, matey, rest in peace.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sat, 23 Apr  2016, 12:07

I knew it was only a matter of time before someone did art like this. I had the precise same idea in mind. Why not post this on The Prince Museum page on Facebook? They'll love it!

There are a couple of extra songs that made their way onto the singles as B-sides. I consider them part of the movie too! lol

They are: 200 Balloons, Feel U Up ("Lemmme touch your body babe, let me feel u up...") and I Love U In Me. You may wish to add the much later released Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic as one, it was the song originally intended before Partyman became invented! And of course there is the unreleased Dance With The Devil which on occasion can be found briefly on Youtube and is no doubt presently contained somewhere deep within the legendary Prince Vault of thousands of unreleased tracks. There is also the extended version of Vicki Waiting. The version heard on the album is not the one heard at the Wayne party in the film. It too has popped up briefly on Youtube...elusively.

Scandalous is particularly interesting. If you've seen the Purple Rain film there is an interesting subplot that appears loosely based on fact that Prince's father had written occasional music. In the film he uses his failed father's compositions to form the track Computer Blue. In the real world Scandalous is credited as being co-written by John L Nelson, Prince' father. It appears it really is partially true and that is both cool and very touching.

Shocking news...

Rest In Peace, Prince.  :(

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

I checked out the BO's Twitter feed, and saw the article about Prince recording two versions of Batdance; the original featured Big Daddy Kane rapping, and the other one that featured on the album and music video. WB rejected the original.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-ms-prince-batman-big-daddy-kane-20160422-snap-story.html

The article above gives us a link to a podcast containing low quality version of the original Batdance song. It's the first track of the entire playlist - which is a mixtape of Prince and Michael Jackson's music.

http://www.mixcrate.com/bombhiphop/prince-and-mj-radio-show-episode-20-1312839

I prefer the version we ended up getting. For me, guitar solo > rap.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Here are the lyrics to one of my favourite songs.  It always touches me, especially the line 'Anything is better than the picture of a child in a cloud of gas' and chilling drumbeat (presumably signifying a child drummer-boy going off to war) that always plays during this verse:

QuoteMoney Don't Matter 2 Night

One more card and it's 22
Unlucky 4 him again
He never had respect 4 money it's true
That's why he never wins
That's why he never ever has enough
2 treat his lady right
He just pushes her away in a huff
And says 'Money don't matter 2 night'

Money don't matter 2 night
It sure didn't matter yesterday
Just when u think u've got more than enough
That's when it all up and flies away
That's when u find out that u're better off
Makin' sure your soul's alright
Cuz money didn't matter yesterday,
And it sure don't matter 2 night

Look, here's a cool investment
They're tellin' him he just can't lose
So he goes off and tries to find a partner
But all he finds are users (users)
All he finds are snakes in ever color
Every nationality and size
Seems like the only thing he can do
Is just roll his eyes, and say that...

Money don't matter 2 night (don't matter)
It sure didn't matter yesterday
That's when it all up and flies away
Makin' sure your soul's alright (soul's alright)
Cuz money didn't matter yesterday, (don't matter)

(ooh-wee-ooh, don't matter)
(it don't matter 2 night, no)

Hey now, maybe we can find a good reason
2 send a child off 2 war
So what if we're controllin' all the oil,
Is it worth a child dying 4? (is it worth it?)
If long life is what we all live 4
Then long life will come 2 pass
Anything is better than the picture of the child
In a cloud of gas
And u think u got it bad

Money don't matter 2 night (no, don't matter)
It sure didn't matter yesterday (yesterday)
That's when it all up and flies away (flies away, flies away)
Makin' sure your soul's alright (make certain that your soul's alright)
Cuz money didn't matter yesterday,
... it sure don't matter 2 night

Money don't matter 2 night
It sure didn't matter yesterday (yesterday, yesterday)
That's when it all up and flies away (flies away, flies away)
Makin' sure your soul's alright
Money didn't matter yesterday,

Of course the line ' If long life is what we all live 4 Then long life will come 2 pass' is particularly poignant now.  :(
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: The Joker on Sun, 24 Apr  2016, 06:10

Shocking news...

Rest In Peace, Prince.  :(
To be completely honest, I'm not familiar with Prince's music. But he was a very interesting person in interviews.

A tribute to Prince's Bat soundtrack, written before his death but appropriately published online this week:
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/04/26/in-defense-of-the-batdance
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1niQHQ2pLDk

Prince performs "Scandalous" from 1989 Batman album - Montreux Jazz Festival (2009)

Merry Christmas Eve, everyone! Sending my best wishes and all the love in the world to all of you... Here's a video clip of our beloved master, performing "I Love U, But I Don't Trust U Anymore" at Montreux Jazz Festival 2009:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiEYXylizAU