RIP Prince

Started by eledoremassis02, Thu, 21 Apr 2016, 17:02

Previous topic - Next topic
Reports are coming in that Prince died http://www.tmz.com/2016/04/21/prince-medical-emergency-paisley-park/

We all know of his involvement with Batman

:(

I only know his Batman music but that makes me so sad. RIP. :(

I don't think I can take anymore of this year.  First David Bowie, and now Prince, my two favourite musicians of my lifetime (I'd include Marvin Gaye but he tragically died only a couple of years after I was born).

I was lucky enough to see Prince three times during his 2007 Earth Tour at the O2 Arena in London, and of course he was awesome on each occasion.  The little guy was a legend.

Of course the Batman connection speaks for himself, but like the recently departed Bowie, I'd feel inclined to post my condolences here simply because the man was one of the greatest popular music artists of all time.  From 'Little Red Corvette' to '1999' to 'Raspberry Beret' and 'Purple Rain', he has left us an incredible collection of classic pop tunes.

Rest in Peace TAFKAP.  :(

In tribute to the Purple One, let's all broaden are minds, gentlemen and ladies:

Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I can't think of an artist/band closer associated with a superhero other than possibly AC/DC and Iron Man (or black Sabbath).

The Nolan films an batman vs superman had virtually no music (only background themes). While Schumacher's films both had some good songs in the credits, Prince was one of the many great parts of that film. I can't think of any musical artist more perfect for that film, Prince is the closest thing I've seen to a real life joker; not the insanity or homicidal tendencies but his style matched that of the Joker's. That joker parade is considered by many as the best 10 minutes in any batman film and the music is one of the main reasons. I watched the music videos for that film a few weeks ago and many people would probably think Prince was mimicking the joker when in essence he was just playing himself.

I'll say it before anyone else does, that skit on the Dave Chappelle show with Prince playing basketball was epic as well.

A lot of folks are passing this year. So sad he had to go at age 57. I will never forget his contribution to Batman '89. It lives on even today. One of favorite songs off all time "Scandalous" came from that film.

Bye Prince.  :(

Quote from: riddler on Thu, 21 Apr  2016, 17:59
I can't think of an artist/band closer associated with a superhero other than possibly AC/DC and Iron Man (or black Sabbath).

The Nolan films an batman vs superman had virtually no music (only background themes). While Schumacher's films both had some good songs in the credits, Prince was one of the many great parts of that film. I can't think of any musical artist more perfect for that film, Prince is the closest thing I've seen to a real life joker; not the insanity or homicidal tendencies but his style matched that of the Joker's. That joker parade is considered by many as the best 10 minutes in any batman film and the music is one of the main reasons. I watched the music videos for that film a few weeks ago and many people would probably think Prince was mimicking the joker when in essence he was just playing himself.

I'll say it before anyone else does, that skit on the Dave Chappelle show with Prince playing basketball was epic as well.
It's often customary to say only nice things about a person when they've died, but I've always maintained that Prince's music was perfect for Batman '89, and one of the reasons the film is just so fun and highly re-watchable.  It's a film that perfectly gets the balance between treating its characters with reverence whilst not taking itself too seriously, and Prince's soundtrack is symptomatic of that playful approach.

Of all the various unfair criticisms that occasionally gets lobbed Batman '89's way the attacks on Prince's Bat Soundtrack are, for me, the most misplaced and baffling.  The motives for including his music in the film may have been more to do with commercial considerations and tie-ins than for artistic reasons, but so what if the songs are as enjoyable and memorable and 'Scandalous', 'Party Man' and 'Trust'?  Whatever the reasons behind their inclusion, they work seamlessly within the film (and presumably inspired the decision to turn the subsequent year's Dick Tracy into a semi-musical defined by, the similarly iconic, Madonna's soundtrack), and serve as a type of signature for Nicholson's Joker, a villain whose infectious joie de vivre one can't help but love, however many innocents he casually slaughters.  It's partly thanks to Jack bopping away with giddy abandon to Prince's music, that his character remains one of the most entertaining movie villains, never mind simply CBM villains, of all time.

Suffice to say, Prince's fun and infectious songs perfectly accompany Danny Elfman's iconic and rousing score, to result in one of the best movie soundtracks of all time, and serve as an instrumental element of one of what is in my humble opinion still the most entertaining comic-book movie of all time.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Prince was the musical guest on a 2014 episode of the iconic American sketch comedy show Saturday Night Live. The episode was hosted by Chris Rock and Prince's musical contribution to the episode was unique. Usually the musical guest has two separate segments but with Prince it was one giant segment. A small concert almost.

RIP :(

I'm at a loss for words. R.I.P.

What a shock. RIP Prince.

There have only been three real times where major personalities passing's have affected me to the point where I'm embarrassed to admit I've almost shed tears. The first being Christopher Reeve and the second Harold Ramis. Prince is the third.

Beyond devastated by this. In the Superman franchise we of course have lost faces like Jackie Cooper, Marlon Brando and Richard Pryor over the years but Prince is really the first major person we have now lost from the Batman franchise. He was by all means the single last person I expected to depart first. From here on in things will get worrying.

I never got a chance to see him. I came close all too recently. There were reports of him bringing his Piano and a Microphone tour here to Liverpool but those plans alas seemed to be cancelled after the Paris attacks of last year. Now they will never come to be.

I first saw his image in, of all places, my old Panini Batman movie sticker album. A two page section on him featuring photo's from his then Lovesexy tour. I remember being astounded reading his apparent ability to play all his instruments himself and produce his music. Which I interpreted at him playing guitar, drums and keyboards all at the precise same time! lol Still even at that young age I knew this man had something special about him.

So grateful he was given that film project in 1989. It introduced me to him (at just the age of one) and thrilled my young imagination. As Jack Nicholson memorably tore apart a Gotham art museum it was the magical music of Prince that allowed we, as an audience, to revel in the fun on-screen wickedness of this classic character through the funkiest beat Gotham City will ever hear. A moment that will live in film and music history forever. Thank you for making me happy Prince! The bat signal shines in love and respect for YOU tonight...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB-fSOds9AU