Screen Junkies' Honest Trailers for TDK and TDKR

Started by The Laughing Fish, Wed, 20 Apr 2016, 10:19

Previous topic - Next topic

I don't get Screen Junkies. I find it so strange they're mocking TDKR so much, yet they're willing to give TDK a pass despite making fun some of its deeply flawed plot points too. And yes, they do mean it when they say TDK is "awesome" because they refer to Nolan in their Inception Honest Trailer as "from the director of two good Batman films".  ::)

They make fun of how poorly paced the third one is, but the pacing in the second one isn't much better either. And if Bale's Batman using his voice to disguise himself in front of Catwoman despite she knows who he is counts as a gripe, then the same thing can be said when he speaks to Lucius Fox in costume.

They could've easily spent another two minutes on TDK review by making fun of things like Gordon's confusing and pointless faked death subplot, Batman killing Two-Face, the unrealistic boat scene, how Batman keeps referring Harvey Dent as Gotham's true hero despite he's the one who is doing all the hero work and so on.

I hate to imagine what their Honest Trailer for BvS would be like, if they haven't done it already. I can see them mocking the Martha line, despite going rather easy on Joker's stupid Agent of Chaos speech that made Two-Face crazy. I guess they have more than one standard when it comes to criticism.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

The Honest Trailers schtick got old a long time ago. I don't watch their crap any more. I'd like to see a Youtube clip rip into their reviewing style. It's unfunny and basic.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 20 Apr  2016, 13:43
The Honest Trailers schtick got old a long time ago. I don't watch their crap any more. I'd like to see a Youtube clip rip into their reviewing style. It's unfunny and basic.

I agree. The only thing worse than Honest Trailers though is CinemaSins. And I find How It Should Have Ended's non-superhero parodies (i.e. Terminator/Back to the Future) funnier than their usual stuff. Saying "I'm Batman" over and over again isn't funny.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Well, I think some of it has to do with these videos not being objectively critical. They're just made for satire.

I dunno, I wouldn't take these videos seriously.

Quote from: Travesty on Thu, 21 Apr  2016, 17:56
Well, I think some of it has to do with these videos not being objectively critical. They're just made for satire.

I dunno, I wouldn't take these videos seriously.
This is true.  Regardless of whether one finds them funny or not, I do find they're quite democratic in their targets.  I think TDK trilogy and other acclaimed movies come in for the same treatment as any other CBM/franchise film, if I'm not mistaken.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu, 21 Apr  2016, 10:06
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 20 Apr  2016, 13:43

I agree. The only thing worse than Honest Trailers though is CinemaSins. And I find How It Should Have Ended's non-superhero parodies (i.e. Terminator/Back to the Future) funnier than their usual stuff. Saying "I'm Batman" over and over again isn't funny.

I agree. At first I thought these kinda videos were mildly amusing but a lot of times it seems like they are criticizing movies for basically being movies and often the criticisms are lazy and forced, sometimes too flat out uneducated to be funny.