Willem Dafoe is...??...in Justice League

Started by BatmAngelus, Tue, 19 Apr 2016, 17:29

Previous topic - Next topic
Tue, 19 Apr 2016, 17:29 Last Edit: Tue, 19 Apr 2016, 17:44 by BatmAngelus
Now that the former Daredevil is Batman and the former JJJ is Gordon, it looks like yet another actor from a no-longer-in-continuity Marvel movie is joining the DC Universe...Willem Dafoe!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/justice-league-adds-willem-dafoe-880889

Unfortunately, all that's known about his character is that he's a good guy. Which is a shame 'cause if Leto wasn't already in Suicide Squad, I'd have loved Dafoe as Joker.

Speculation:

- An older JSA-type superhero. Maybe he's Jay Garrick, mentoring Miller's Barry Allen.

- If the JL is facing off Darkseid...maybe Dafoe is Highfather.

- A supporting character to one of the other JL members, much like Simmons as Gordon or Fishburne as Perry White.

He could be the cinematic universe version of Maxwell Lord and helps out with the JL in this one, but becomes a villain in the future, like in the comics.

Maybe he's Aquaman's dad, Thomas Curry, who gets taken hostage. When Batman and Aquaman fight and Batman nearly kills him by dehydrating him, Aquaman will cry out to save Thomas, prompting another Wayne murder flashback... ;D
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Tue, 19 Apr  2016, 17:29

Maybe he's Aquaman's dad, Thomas Curry, who gets taken hostage. When Batman and Aquaman fight and Batman nearly kills him by dehydrating him, Aquaman will cry out to save Thomas, prompting another Wayne murder flashback... ;D

Smartass. lol.

Kitty approves of this casting. Even though we don't know who he's been cast as.

I just saw the news.  Of course in an ideal world Willem Dafoe would have played The Joker, although he's probably a few years too old for the part now (I rather like that Affleck's Batman and Leto's Joker are about the same age, even though Leto has been hinting that his Joker is 'older').
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Now that the former Daredevil is Batman and the former JJJ is Gordon, it looks like yet another actor from a no-longer-in-continuity Marvel movie is joining the DC Universe...Willem Dafoe!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/justice-league-adds-willem-dafoe-880889

Unfortunately, all that's known about his character is that he's a good guy. Which is a shame 'cause if Leto wasn't already in Suicide Squad, I'd have loved Dafoe as Joker.

I think it's unlikely, but you don't suppose he could be playing Martian Manhunter? I could imagine him playing a lonely soul in human form and convey the pathos that character requires. MM might be appearing on Supergirl, but then again, Flash/Barry Allen is still headlining his own show and that didn't stop WB from hiring Ezra Miller to play the part on film. And besides, David Goyer is thankfully not involved anymore, so that should mean WB will keep an open mind over characters like MM appearing on the big screen.

We'll see.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed, 20 Apr  2016, 10:59

I think it's unlikely, but you don't suppose he could be playing Martian Manhunter? I could imagine him playing a lonely soul in human form and convey the pathos that character requires. MM might be appearing on Supergirl, but then again, Flash/Barry Allen is still headlining his own show and that didn't stop WB from hiring Ezra Miller to play the part on film. And besides, David Goyer is thankfully not involved anymore, so that should mean WB will keep an open mind over characters like MM appearing on the big screen.

We'll see.

I love that idea. I actually suggested MM in another thread but idk, we've been through the alien fear thing already with Supes so I dunno what direction they would go. There's plenty of things they can do. Maybe showcase him hiding his true self with all the different disguises out of fear of being hated even as the others try to bring him out of his shell and then he has to and saves a bunch of people in the process and their gratitude shows him to be his real self?

Eh, too "hokey" for modern audiences. Ug. I hate people.

Quote from: Catwoman on Wed, 20 Apr  2016, 12:45
I love that idea. I actually suggested MM in another thread but idk, we've been through the alien fear thing already with Supes so I dunno what direction they would go. There's plenty of things they can do. Maybe showcase him hiding his true self with all the different disguises out of fear of being hated even as the others try to bring him out of his shell and then he has to and saves a bunch of people in the process and their gratitude shows him to be his real self?

Eh, too "hokey" for modern audiences. Ug. I hate people.

You're right about the alien theme already being covered so far in the DCEU. But if MM were to appear on the big screen, I would assume he'd still be in hiding and disguise as many forms, as you say. In fact, that entire concept you've dreamed up is even better than what I suggested.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/05/12/willem-dafoe-will-go-under-the-sea-in-justice-league

Speculation is that Willem Dafoe is now playing an Atlantean. Poseidon maybe?

He's either that or the voice of Topo the Octopus...
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Based on nothing I'll venture Dafoe is playing an original character and probably nobody we'd know. That's totally a possibility, guys.