Spider-Man: Homecoming

Started by The Laughing Fish, Wed, 13 Apr 2016, 11:37

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Joker on Sun, 26 Mar  2017, 01:16I'm kinda glad that it isn't to be perfectly honest. The Osborne's have been done to death, and would be perfectly fine if they sat it out in the MCU for atleast the foreseeable future. I would be more interested in a MCU Doc Ock at the moment. Especially in light of that character's notoriety in the comics in recent years.
I agree that the Osbornes shouldn't be done in the MCU for a good while.  Like you say, the previous Spider-Man franchises have practically done the character to death, but I'd still like some acknowledgement that Osborne Industries exists in this universe, so if and when Norman and Harry do eventually show up, it won't seem so contrived and/or sudden.

It would be akin to Man of Steel featuring vans with the LexCorp logo (admittedly, Snyder and co were most likely planning for Lex to appear in the sequel, but he didn't have to, and it represented a nice 'Easter Egg' at the time signifying that the company was a permanent fixture in Metropolis).
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Sounds good. I would be cool with that.

I believe there's a interest in seeing Spidey villains who haven't gotten their due on the silver screen finally be realized. Now with HOMECOMING, we're finally getting The Vulture. Mysterio seems a pretty safe bet for a sequel, and as far as a third film, Marvel/Disney could go back to the Goblins again, but I'm not entirely convinced that would be intriguing considering the overuse of the Osborne storyline with the prior sets of films.

Doc Ock is one that I think has been dormant long enough that may generate some excitement. Not gonna lie, I was interested in Sony's idea of casting Matt Damon as Otto for their cancelled "Sinister Six" movie. Which seems much more Ultimate Ock than the classic 616 version, and I wouldn't have a issue with that. Jackal, Kraven, Chameleon are others that could be incorporated. Actually, if Marvel/Disney simply cannot refrain from using a Goblin, I would be more open to the Hobgoblin to be perfectly honest. I believe in the 1990's Spider-Man animated series, the Hobgoblin was around even before the Green Goblin! Which I thought was an interesting/different route to take with that character.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

This is a great trailer, and Keaton looks like he'll be giving another awesome performance.

The only problem is, I feel more sympathy for small business owner Adrian Toomes/The Vulture than I do for big business honcho Tony Stark.  I hope the film delves into the 'problem with Tony Stark', rather than letting him off the hook, as a few of the previous films have tended to do.

*watches trailer*

All of you who are looking forward to this thing, hope you enjoy it. I'm officially out.

The trailer makes it look like Spiderman & Ironman, but we know trailers can be misguiding (they might have included 2 of the 5 minutes Downey is in it). For me, Keaton is the prime selling point.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue, 28 Mar  2017, 23:34
*watches trailer*

All of you who are looking forward to this thing, hope you enjoy it. I'm officially out.

I still regard myself a fan of the MCU, but honestly, what they're offering this year looks very weak. I have no desire to see this movie or GOTG2 in theatres. And I might skip Thor Ragnarok if the trailers don't impress me. The next MCU movie I'm more excited for is Black Panther, and that won't come out till next year. :(

I seriously don't see anything special from what I've seen in this Spider-Man so far, not even Downey and Keaton are exciting me. I'd say it's because Spider-Man is overdone at this point since he's in yet another reboot for the SECOND time in five years. f*** that! And why does Hollywood like to spoil too much in their trailers?! Enough!

I enjoyed the first GOTG as a fun ride, but the trailers feel like they're trying too hard to be funny. And I don't care for that baby Groot crap. I think the novelty for that team is wearing thin for me right now.

As for Thor Ragnarok? I'm bummed out to hear that the film was originally supposed to be more serious, but the producers are claiming it will be the "funniest Thor yet". No thank you. We've already had moments of levity in the first Thor, and it was done very well I might add, but please don't add forced humour for the sake of it.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I have to say that I do agree with some of the reactions from the trailer. As a guy who grew up a fan of Spider-Man, and absolutely loved reading the early Lee/Ditko era of Spidey (thanks to Spider-Man Masterworks Vol.1 being purchased for me, along with the short lived "Spider-Man Classics" comics that reprinted from the very start in Amazing Fantasy #15), it is difficult to really get amped up for yet another reboot that is obviously placing alot of it's appeal on the fact that it's now taking place within the MCU. Which is fine and dandy, and I can see for those who adore the MCU's product enjoying the novelty, but at the same time, it does come across as if Marvel is all too aware that there is going to be alot of people out there who are going to have a difficult time getting excited about yet another reboot, and hence the trailer essentially making this out to be a cinematic adaptation of "Marvel Team Up: Starring Spider-Man & Iron Man". Which may be smart marketing wise, just not my preferred method right out of the gate.

As far as humor goes, I don't have a problem with it within a Spider-Man movie. Cause he's a character that has always lent himself to humor, witty comebacks, and nicknames for his adversaries. With Guardians of the Galaxy, I guess it's fine too. Don't really know alot about those character's, so it's really not a big issue for me. Now with Thor Ragnorok, aiming to make it hilarious does come across as off-putting to me. Like I said, with Spider-Man, I expect him to be snarky during a fight. With Thor or Hulk? Not so much. And too much of that pretty much just takes me out of the movie, because the stakes literally just come across as mere sparring. Especially when the point is being conveyed within the film that everything is on the line yet here the hero and villain are trying to out wit and out snark one another.

Probably why I never cared for the Tony Stark vs Loki snark/wit battle during a actual ALIEN INVASION of New York in 2012's Avengers movie.   

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed, 29 Mar  2017, 10:59And why does Hollywood like to spoil too much in their trailers?! Enough!
Originally when I said "I'm out", I was including this thread. But this line caught my interest.

Compare the Spider-Man trailer (which basically lays out the high points of what the movie will be about) compared to the trailers for Man of Steel, Suicide Squad and Justice League.

Admittedly, BVS gave away a fair amount in the trailers. But the MOS, SS and JL trailers gave the flavor of each movie but with minimal detail. In fact, I think there's an argument that the DCEU trailers give less away with each subsequent film. The basic theme of MOS was suggested in the trailers while less was said about SS. As for JL, the lion's share of the marketing revolves around the novelty of teaming these characters up... which I don't think will be effective in the post-Avengers world but that's preferable to giving away the store in the trailers, right?

It's just interesting, that's all I'm saying.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed, 29 Mar  2017, 10:59I enjoyed the first GOTG as a fun ride, but the trailers feel like they're trying too hard to be funny. And I don't care for that baby Groot crap. I think the novelty for that team is wearing thin for me right now.
If past is prologue, the MCU is predicated upon a badass first installment in a franchise followed by weak sequels. Iron Man 2, Thor: The Dark World, Avengers: Age of Ultron and the rest have their fans but the consensus seems to be that they don't come anywhere near the originals.

If that holds true, GOTG's best days are already behind it.

Yes, the Captain America movies are exceptions to the rule. But the rule still holds.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed, 29 Mar  2017, 21:12If past is prologue, the MCU is predicated upon a badass first installment in a franchise followed by weak sequels. Iron Man 2, Thor: The Dark World, Avengers: Age of Ultron and the rest have their fans but the consensus seems to be that they don't come anywhere near the originals.

If that holds true, GOTG's best days are already behind it.

Yes, the Captain America movies are exceptions to the rule. But the rule still holds.
With respect to GOTG2, let's wait and see, shall we?

Neither Thor film was among the best MCU entries, so the door is open for Thor: Ragnarok to be an improvement on the first film and Thor: The Dark World.

And you're right about the Captain America series, but I'm also one of those people who prefers Iron Man 3 to its predecessors.