Spider-Man: Homecoming

Started by The Laughing Fish, Wed, 13 Apr 2016, 11:37

Previous topic - Next topic
Jeffrey Henderson has posted some concept art he did for Raimi's unmade Spider-Man 4 back when the film was in preproduction. It seems to confirm fan speculation that Bruce Campbell would have been Mysterio.

Evidently, with Mysterio originally only having a small part in Spider-Man 4, one can only assume that The Lizard would have been the main villain for a Spider-Man 5. Especially since Dylan Baker's Dr. Conners having previously made appearances in 2 and 3, so the seeds were already planted. Plus, we are talking about The Vulture, The Vulturess, and Mysterio all appearing in 4.

I wonder if Raimi had any plans on introducing Electro and/or Kraven the Hunter in his Spider-Man films ... I suppose he could have made 5 with Lizard/Electro/Kraven, but that seems a bit overstuffed, unless perhaps the Lizard and maybe Kraven would appear in 5, and Electro making his 1st appearance in 6 to round out Doc Ock's Sinister Six ... ?

Similar to being interested in a comic book continuing the Burton Batman saga, I would love for Marvel Comics to team up with Raimi and give us the sequels that might have been. Kinda like the Smallville Season comics, they would be a nice companion piece to the movies.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

The Raimi trilogy is such a massive driver of my Spider-Man passion. If I want to feel good about the character, I look in that direction. So those concept arts are like gold to me, but also haunting reminders of what could've....and should've been. They really didn't know how magical and on point Tobey Maguire and Sam Raimi were. They cut the cord on a proven combo. But hey, I liked TASM2 overall, even though it's still a rung underneath the others. Tom Holand has real potential, and with new set pics out now, the hype train can really gain momentum.

Fri, 1 Jul 2016, 15:01 #43 Last Edit: Mon, 26 Dec 2016, 05:48 by thecolorsblend
Andrew Garfield rocks! I was sad to see him go. People can say what they want that it's for the best and whatnot but I really like his Ultimatey take on the character. Plus, ASM2 gave Spider-Man something he's always lacked: a real hero theme. Zimmer gave Spider-Man a very precious gift and it breaks my heart to see it tossed away.

Spider-Man 4... look, guys, I'm the one in the room who said he never needed a reboot in the first place. I dig Garfield and the Webbverse but I was happy with the Raimiverse and would've been interested to see that iteration of the character grow, mature, change, get married, father children, etc. It could've been epic.

I'm also probably the leading Spider-Man 3 apologist to be found anywhere online.

Spidey 3 has nothing to apologise for. It has a lot going for it and it's my second favourite in the series. ;)

And agree about Zimmer's Spider-Man score. It's an under appreciated gem. Cold War/No Place Like Home is one of the best one/two punches you will find in the web slinger's audio history. Zimmer nailed the young, fun, rock and roll energy of the character. Check out I Need To Know and the rendition of the main theme. It's Inception dipped into superhero jelly. It's so good, and speaks to the character's optimism. You're My Boy and Ground Rules are solid too when it comes to poignancy. Hans really delivered top quality superhero soundtracks towards the end of his comic book run.

But yes, Holland really impressed me during Civil War.

I'm not a fan of Maguire, to me he dropped the ball on the character in 3 ways
1) playing it too much of a nerd
2) not getting the humour of the character right
3) the entire love story with Dunst was weak in all three films, especially the third
he was good as the powerless Peter Parker in the first and second films but I just didn't like him as the protagonist, he seemed far too mentally weak to be a superhero. All the crying was too much

Still I embrace all the 21st century versions of the character. As maligned as SM3 and TASM2 are, there are still plenty of enjoyable aspects to both those films; the black suit, venom, the entire electric theme.

So far spider-man has the most superhero films without a bad one. Perhaps it's because he got a late start on the big screen compared to Batman and Superman. I do own all five spidey films (three of them on blu ray) it should also be noted the five spidey films have combined for 7 feature villains (not counting the Rhino) with only one being repeated (Harry) so there's a lot of variety there. Nolan reused three of the previous villains and the superman films had been far too reliant on Lex Luthor.

I do prefer the Webb series to the Raimi series though the Webb one will be forever incomplete. Garfield captured more of the smartass aspects than Tobey did and felt more of the character than Maguire did (it was easier to believe it was Garfield inside the spidey costume than Tobey). It does seem so far that the things Garfield got right, Holand is getting better. One criticism with Garfield is that he seemed a little too confident. Spidey is a tragic hero and should never be too much in control, he should aways feel awkward in his own skin and be constantly beaten up on metaphorically. I liked how Spider-man 3 began with spidey in complete control and on top of his world before having it all crashing down (mainly his own doing while under the symbiote influence; he took things personally with Sandman, Eddie, and Harry.

I don't think anyone truly wanted a reboot with Webb on board. The only somewhat appetite for a reboot were extreme Venom/Carnage fans who knew those characters could likely never be featured in another film in the Raimi universe. I certainly was not happy SM4 got scrapped especially when the reboot used the likely villain for the fourth film anyhow. But nearly 10 years since the Raimi series ended, I accept things the way they are. Maybe SM4 would have been worse than 3 and it would have been another repeat of the Batman and Superman series?

Michael Keaton has finally commented on the film, describing it as – SPOILERS – a "big budget movie that will be an awful lot of fun."
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/spider-man/michael-keaton-comments-on-spider-man-homecoming-role-more-cool-set-a143399

I hope these details haven't ruined the movie for anyone.

Glad Keaton signed up for this one. He's had a good track record with films lately, so it all points to Homecoming being of similar quality.

I'll always respect Keaton for doing the films he wanted to do. He was heavily popular in the mid 90's coming off Batman and Beetlejuice, I'm sure he could have parlayed that into some high paying roles the way Kilmer and Clooney attempted to do (Clooney succeeding, Kilmer not so much) or held onto a monopoly on the character in a sense that only he could play him. He never did though and good for him for making that choice. It makes me trust the scripts he does choose.

The first footage has been shown at Comic-Con, including a brief clip of Vulture in action. Although the clip has yet to be released online, this concept art supposedly matches how he appears in the film: