Spider-Man: Homecoming

Started by The Laughing Fish, Wed, 13 Apr 2016, 11:37

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Joker on Thu, 28 Apr  2016, 04:47I wouldn't mind Mysterio. He's probably the one un-used villain in Spidey's rogues gallery that most people want to see finally realized in live action, but at the same time, I wouldn't mind Vulture either. It's just too bad that it won't be John Malkovich, as it was planned to be for the cancelled Spider-Man 4, as that would have been something!

I wish we could've seen that. I've got my own ideas about how I would've liked Raimi's second trilogy to have panned out. Obviously Spider-Man 4 would've featured Vulture and Felicia Hardy. I expect Peter and MJ would have finally tied the knot in that one too.

Then for Spider-Man 5 I would've liked an adaptation of Kraven's Last Hunt, only with Doc Connors turning into Lizard and fulfilling the role Vermin played in the original comic. This would have been the darkest of all the Spider-Man films.

Then for Spider-Man 6, the final entry in Raimi's saga, I would've liked the Sinister Six to have shown up. I had an idea that following the events of Spider-Man 2 Otto Octavius' body had washed ashore, barely alive, minus his arms and horribly burned following his experience with the fusion reactor (the burns would allow another actor to play the role if Molina was reluctant to return). The combination of oxygen deprivation and the loss of his arms has left him with amnesia (always a convenient plot device). So he spends the next few years living as a John Doe in a mental hospital in upstate New York. Then one day some salvagers recover his arms from the bottom of the Hudson and inadvertently reactivate them. The arms then home in on Octavius' brainwaves and reattach themselves to his body, restoring his memory and spurring him to unite the other surviving villains in a final campaign against Spider-Man. Sandman, Vulture and Lizard would join him. And I like the idea of another villain discovering the Green Goblin technology and becoming Hobgoblin. For the final member of the Sinister Six, they could've brought back Venom or used someone like Swarm or Mysterio.

I'd have preferred this over the Webb movies. Then they could have neatly tied up the Raimiverse in time for the MCU Spider-Man to take over.

Quote from: The Joker on Thu, 28 Apr  2016, 04:47I recently read the graphic novel "Spider-Man: Season One" and I thought Vulture, as a physical adversary, was more than competent. I remember reading somewhere that comic book creator Roger Stern felt that the Vulture should be represented as one of Spider-Man's top villains, due to the idea that Peter Parker represents youth, where the Vulture represents age, and what we are left with is a "Youth vs Age" motif that could be highlighted greatly in Spider-Man: Homecoming. Especially with the film supposedly being very much a high school/John Hughes type Spider-Man movie. Something of which I don't believe we have ever quite got before...

I've never read that one, but from the way you describe it it sounds like a solid basis for the new film.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu, 28 Apr  2016, 22:57
I wish we could've seen that. I've got my own ideas about how I would've liked Raimi's second trilogy to have panned out. Obviously Spider-Man 4 would've featured Vulture and Felicia Hardy. I expect Peter and MJ would have finally tied the knot in that one too.

Then for Spider-Man 5 I would've liked an adaptation of Kraven's Last Hunt, only with Doc Connors turning into Lizard and fulfilling the role Vermin played in the original comic. This would have been the darkest of all the Spider-Man films.

Then for Spider-Man 6, the final entry in Raimi's saga, I would've liked the Sinister Six to have shown up. I had an idea that following the events of Spider-Man 2 Otto Octavius' body had washed ashore, barely alive, minus his arms and horribly burned following his experience with the fusion reactor (the burns would allow another actor to play the role if Molina was reluctant to return). The combination of oxygen deprivation and the loss of his arms has left him with amnesia (always a convenient plot device). So he spends the next few years living as a John Doe in a mental hospital in upstate New York. Then one day some salvagers recover his arms from the bottom of the Hudson and inadvertently reactivate them. The arms then home in on Octavius' brainwaves and reattach themselves to his body, restoring his memory and spurring him to unite the other surviving villains in a final campaign against Spider-Man. Sandman, Vulture and Lizard would join him. And I like the idea of another villain discovering the Green Goblin technology and becoming Hobgoblin. For the final member of the Sinister Six, they could've brought back Venom or used someone like Swarm or Mysterio.

I'd have preferred this over the Webb movies. Then they could have neatly tied up the Raimiverse in time for the MCU Spider-Man to take over.

Something like that would have been pretty spectacular, and it's apparent you've given some time and thought on how the Raimiverse would have eventually panned out, and I appreciate the sentiment. I actually dig your ideas for the sequels quite a bit to be perfectly honest. Especially the bit about the Lizard essentially taking the place for Vermin in a live action "Kraven's Last Hunt" adaptation. Which definitely works, considering after a film featuring the Vulture, I'm sure the fans would have most assuredly been clamoring for a live action take on the Lizard by that point. The 6th film in the Raimiverse, being a Sinister Six film, with the return of Alfred Molina as the Sinister Six's leader, Doc Ock, is just spot on and perfect. I guess I'll always wonder how Bruce Campbell would have been as Quentin Beck/Mysterio. I remember that idea being pretty popular for awhile...

I've never read that one, but from the way you describe it it sounds like a solid basis for the new film.

Yeah, I might have read it from John Byrne's forum. He refers to Roger Stern quite a bit, and evidently respects his opinion on comic book subjects like that. It is a interesting viewpoint, and adds a element (youth vs age) to a Spider-Man/Vulture rivalry that could seen as being more or less exclusive to them....

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Fri, 29 Apr  2016, 02:33
I guess I'll always wonder how Bruce Campbell would have been as Quentin Beck/Mysterio. I remember that idea being pretty popular for awhile...

I forgot about Campbell. His character is another loose end that never really had a payoff. He should've appeared in the final movie as Mysterio.

Regarding Spider-Man: Homecoming, I'm a lot more excited for it after seeing Holland and Tomei in CA: Civil War. It's the first Spider-Man movie I've really looked forward to since 2007. I just wish Keaton hadn't passed on it. :(

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sun,  1 May  2016, 18:54
Regarding Spider-Man: Homecoming, I'm a lot more excited for it after seeing Holland and Tomei in CA: Civil War. It's the first Spider-Man movie I've really looked forward to since 2007. I just wish Keaton hadn't passed on it. :(
Agreed on all counts. Interesting how 'Homecoming' is referenced a few times in CW via dialogue, too. I'm hoping for villains like Mysterio and Vulture in the first solo film. Then later on, bring back Doc Ock.

Yeah, following Alfred Molina's Doc Ock is one tall order, but I'm very much looking forward to seeing the MCU's Doc Ock in the Spider-Man movies one day. I don't care how many times people bring up 'The Night Gwen Stacy Died', Ock will always be Spider-Man's #1 villain to me. Spider-Man writer Dan Slott has really put Ock back in the spotlight over the course of his run, and I love him for that. Looong overdue!

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Mon,  9 May  2016, 21:52

Yeah, following Alfred Molina's Doc Ock is one tall order, but I'm very much looking forward to seeing the MCU's Doc Ock in the Spider-Man movies one day. I don't care how many times people bring up 'The Night Gwen Stacy Died', Ock will always be Spider-Man's #1 villain to me. Spider-Man writer Dan Slott has really put Ock back in the spotlight over the course of his run, and I love him for that. Looong overdue!
Molina's Doc Ock was a lot more sympathetic than the standard comic-book version, so I hope that any reboot of the character has him act in a suitably nefarious manner, albeit with some degree of pathos (completely despicable villains are rarely effective).
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Knowing Marvel/Disney, they'll get Ock's characterization. Doc Ock's one of those villains where, despite not being a nice guy at all, you can reason with him ... to a point, where Green Goblin/Norman Osborn is much more of a b@stard. With Marissa Tomei being Aunt May in the MCU, it will be interesting to see if Marvel/Disney will play up the relationship between May and Ock like in the comics. I believe Spidey even went to Ock following Aunt May getting shot by a sniper, in order to see if Ock could help in any way possible, knowing Ock would because it's May Parker.

Variety is now reporting Keaton's back on board to play the villain.  :D

QuoteAfter momentarily passing on the opportunity to play the next "Spider-Man" villain, Michael Keaton is back in talks to join Sony's "Spider-Man: Homecoming."

Variety first reported that Keaton was being eyed to play the villain last month, but talks had barely begun before the actor pulled his name from consideration over money issues. Sources said the dispute occurred after Robert Downey Jr. was added to the cast to reprise his role as Tony Stark. At the time, it appeared as though the studio wouldn't be able to afford both talents.

With Downey's deal now closed, insiders say Sony and Marvel have now returned to Keaton and have found a way to make both parties happy.

If a deal closes, Keaton would join Tom Holland, who is set to play the web-slinger in the film, directed by Jon Watts. Marisa Tomei is set to play Aunt May and Zendaya is also on board in a mystery role. Kevin Feige is producing with Amy Pascal.

Plot details are still being heavily guarded.
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/spider-man-michael-keaton-villain-1201770783/

Oooooooh yeah!

Now we're talkin'.

JoBlo.com is reporting that Keaton's character is indeed Vulture:

QuoteOkay, good. So, you'll recall the rumor that The Vulture would appear in SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING and that talks with Michael Keaton to play the character eventually fell through. Well, we can confirm that not only is The Vulture in the film, but he is, in fact, the main villain. But, he's not the only bad guy in the mix. The Vulture will be aided by none other than The Tinkerer, who will help him build his suit with recovered Chitauri tech from the Battle of New York.
http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/exclusive-scoop-the-villains-and-costume-of-spider-man-homecoming-204

A bit off topic, but check out this awesome fan made Bat-Keaton poster. Our social media followers might be interested in this.