Superman comics in The Lost Boys

Started by Bobthegoon89, Sat, 16 Mar 2013, 20:04

Previous topic - Next topic
In Joel Schumacher's The Lost Boys there is a scene in the Frog Brothers comic store in which Sam Emerson feels the need to educate them on how to display their Man of Steel titles in numerical order. My favourite gag scene in the movie ("Where the hell are you from?...Krypton?!").

Just wondered what issue numbers those Superman titles were? They do recieve a close shot but not enough to read the publication info. They are great covers and I've always been on the lookout for those particular issues at conventions.

It's quite fun as a comic nerd trying to spot the numerous titles that pop up in that store throughout the movie. At one point Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars can be seen and The Dark Knight Returns poster ad. I've even managed to spot a Dr Who comic magazine.

What I could identify were Action Comics 492 and Superman 319, 321, 410, 419. Just pay no attention to what Sam says about those issues because his comments have almost "jack" and "sh!+" to do with those specific issues. I realize it's probably easier to find a bunch of trivia about Superman comics and then apply it to a bunch of random comics (A) because most people won't care about or know the difference and (B) because that's a lot easier and probably cheaper than finding the actual comics.

Haha yes I believe so. Ah well who cares really? As you say it's meaningless information except to us comic fans. At least they knew what red kryptonite and Lori was lol

Richard Donner was originally slated to direct the Lost Boys, but in the end he simply produced it and handed the director's reins to He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.

Seriously though, it's a fun film. Probably the second best vampire movie of the eighties after Near Dark (in my humble opinion).

You mean JOEL SCHUMACHER?  ;)  Ooops!

Ah give Schumacher a break. Honestly I'm more annoyed by Nolan these days.

On a side note I'm not sure The Lost Boys would have been as good if Donner directed it.

One thing I'd like to know is is Sam's comment about looking for a rare Batman#14 also utter rubbish? lol At least I think it's issue 14.

Maybe this would've been asking a bit much of the production but considering this is a movie about vampires, it might've been kind of cool if Sam had been looking for a copy of Detective #31. That's about as obtainable than Batman #14.

One of my favourite synthwave bands, GUNSHIP, have released a new song themed around The Lost Boys. It even features the original sax man himself, Tim Cappello. The video includes lots of references to the original movie, as well as other vampire flicks such as Blade and From Dusk Till Dawn. Fans should check it out.