Most Anticipated Films of 2016

Started by Silver Nemesis, Tue, 12 Apr 2016, 19:43

Previous topic - Next topic
I realise it's a bit late to start a thread like this, what with us already being a quarter of the way through the year. But I believe most of 2016's best films lie ahead of us and I'm interested to know which ones people are most looking forward to. In particular, which non-comic book based films are you most excited about?

My most anticipated drama this year has to be Martin Scorsese's Silence. It's based on a brilliant novel by Japanese author Shūsaku Endō (one of my favourite writers), and Scorsese's been building up to it since the early nineties. Take a great director, give him a powerful and harrowing novel to adapt, and throw in an excellent cast that includes Andrew Garfield, Liam Neeson, Adam Driver and Tadanobu Asano, and the end result has all the makings of a masterpiece. I loved the novel and I'm predicting this movie will be my 'film of the year'.

Another Andrew Garfield film I'm interested in seeing is Mel Gibson's Hacksaw Ridge. This one's a WW2 drama based on the true story of a conscientious objector who saved the lives of 75 soldiers and earned the Medal of Honour. It's Gibson's first directorial work since the absurdly underrated Apocalypto and it sounds like yet another great role for Garfield. His post-Spider-Man career is looking pretty sweet right about now.

Then there's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. There's already a thread on this film, so there's no need to talk about it too much here. Suffice it to say it's shaping up nicely and I think it'll be my blockbuster movie of the year. It's certainly going to be 2016's biggest Christmas movie.

One final movie I'd like to mention is The Founder starring Michael Keaton. This is the first film Keaton shot after his Academy Award nomination last year. It's directed by John Lee Hancock, who also directed Sandra Bullock's Oscar-winning turn in The Blind Side, and is based on the shady true story behind the McDonald's franchise. I confess, my own views on the Academy Awards generally concur with those of actor George C Scott. But at the same time, I think it'd be nice if Keaton could cap off his career by bagging an Oscar. Especially after he came so close to doing so in 2015.

So those are the films I'm most looking forward to in 2016. But what about everyone else? We've got a diverse range of appetites represented here and I'm interested to know which films people think will stand out. I know quite a few of you are looking forward to The Jungle Book (currently sitting at 100% on Rotten Tomatoes with 30 reviews!) and that certainly looks promising. I haven't seen Zootopia yet, but I've heard that's very good too. Are there any other films you guys think will deliver the goods?

I concur with you on Silence.  This also my most-anticipated film of the year (Martin Scorsese? Liam Neeson? A Japanese-set religious drama featuring Portuguese monks?  I can't wait!  :) )

I'm also curious to see how Damien Chazelle's next film La La Land, supposedly a musical, turns out since 2014's Whiplash is one of my two favourite films of 2014.  And Spielberg's movies are almost always must-see events, so I'm looking forward to The BFG.

This is also the first time I've heard that Mel Gibson has a new film coming out.  As a fan of The Passion of the Christ, an understandably divisive film, yet one that is incredibly powerful and highly accomplished from a technical POV, this news definitely piques my interest.

And of course, Rebel One, looks awesome.

By the way, I've see three new films on the big-screen so far this year, High-Rise, Hail Caesar and Eye in the Sky, and I'd highly recommend all three.

Otherwise, one of the most exciting entertainment events of the year will be season six of "Game of Thrones" that premieres later this month.  It will be fascinating to see how the show develops now that they're effectively up-to-date with the last of George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire books.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I'm embarrassed to admit I still haven't seen Whiplash. I've heard nothing but good things about it though. I'm planning to watch it before I see Simmons' take on Gordon.

In terms of the mainstream, big entertainment films, I have about five I'm looking forward to:

1. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (saw it and enjoyed it)
2. Legend of Tarzan
3. Independence Day Resurgence
4. Star Wars - Rogue One
5. Captain America Civil War

Films I've seen in theatres this year
Deadpool, BvS

on the docket
Captain America Civil war
Suicide squad
Doctor strange

ones I may or may not see in theatres
Alice in Wonderland 2
TMNT 2
Now You see me 2
Ghostbusters

I'm afraid I've been suckered in by Ghostbusters lol Against my better judgement I've decided to go and see it. I mean it's the best we're ever gonna get to a number 3, like it or not. This is also probably the last time ever you will see Bill Murray, Annie Potts, Sigourney Weaver e.c.t, however brief or not, in any new Ghostbusters project. I doubt completely any original cast will ever return in any potential sort of future movies and so I'd rather go and join the party even if I hate myself later.

But I've already had the pleasure of experiencing my personal most anticipated film: The Jungle Book. And while I too am excited for new Ninja Turtles and the Independence Day sequel, nothing shall top the colorful, adventure masterpiece I just witnessed. I'd literally been waiting to see that intriguing project for three long years while many had all too little faith or interest in it. So it fills me with glee that it didn't disappoint (well perhaps on a Scarlett Johansson and ending level!) and to see everybody waking up and giving it respect where it's due. 

I hate the word, it's destined to join 80's sayings like "wicked" and erm, "ace" in the dustbin of language embarrassment but the music in that film was.....epic *cringe*. I think somebody should seriously eye John Debney as a potential new Batman composer? He basically took the classic Disney 1967 music and transformed it into a John Williams styled Indiana Jones and The Temple Of Doom magnum opus of excitement and scariness. This track in particular, "The Red Flower", practically blew me through the back wall of the theater. Here at 1:38, as Mowgli dashes through the dark jungle with stolen fire, a demonic choir belts out the theme to Kaa the snake's Trust In Me with such power. As my favorite of the songs it was joy to the ear (there is a special treat in the credits too courtesy of "Lucy" herself). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZhguC1BHVEYou There were definite Batman Returns/Edward Scissorhands-esque Elfman choir moments on this score, particular during the recreation of the 1967 main title music. You also haven't experienced true cinema this year until you see and hear Christopher Walken's King Louie performing I Wan'na Be Like You.

Here's the powerful first trailer for Gibson's Hacksaw Ridge. Between this and Silence, I think Garfield's locked for a 'Best Actor' nomination.