Justice League Part One....filming underway!

Started by Grissom, Tue, 12 Apr 2016, 15:51

Previous topic - Next topic
Sun, 23 Jul 2017, 12:08 #190 Last Edit: Sun, 23 Jul 2017, 12:10 by The Dark Knight
Edit: wrong thread

Sun, 23 Jul 2017, 12:34 #191 Last Edit: Sun, 23 Jul 2017, 12:39 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: Catwoman on Sun, 23 Jul  2017, 03:20
Holy. f***ing. sh*t.

I can't wait. Ugh but I've got to. Ugh but I don't want to. Ughhhhh.
I'm just as excited for this as I was with BvS.

Probably more so actually, because I now know how good Affleck and the team are. This is Snyder with his back up against the wall. If this is the last time he directs a DCEU film, I'm sure he will go out with a bang.

Back to the trailer itself, I like how they say there's a crime wave around the world and that Batman has been missing from Gotham. We all know why. He's been busy assembling the League, and obviously Superman is no longer around to protect the globe as a whole. I think the end message is definitely going to be Superman completes the team. As Alfred says, he hopes he's not too late. Which to me means the League fought admirably but they are going to lose.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Also, how about that Flash: Flashpoint announcement. Wow. Jeffrey Dean Morgan possibly returning but as the alternate universe Batman is a big deal. I'm up for it because it's something so different for the cinematic franchise. The recent Rebirth storyline focusing on this timeline was excellent and is well worth a read. In any case, I'm hoping they manage to tie this film in with the BvS Flash cameo somehow.

And for the hell of it, here's this GIF.

Has Batman ever looked any better?

I personally loved the trailer. Every single thing. I don't think there's one thing I disliked about it. It pumps me up for the movie, while also pumping me up for Aquaman, Flash, Batman, and WW2. I can't wait for more DC movies.

I'm stoked for it. Bring it on.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 23 Jul  2017, 16:21
Also, how about that Flash: Flashpoint announcement. Wow. Jeffrey Dean Morgan possibly returning but as the alternate universe Batman is a big deal. I'm up for it because it's something so different for the cinematic franchise. The recent Rebirth storyline focusing on this timeline was excellent and is well worth a read. In any case, I'm hoping they manage to tie this film in with the BvS Flash cameo somehow.

And for the hell of it, here's this GIF.

Has Batman ever looked any better?
The view a lot of Batman fans have had post-Nolan is Batman less as a superhero and more as a freestanding sci-fi character. Things like Flashpoint integrate Batman more completely into a shared comic book universe. On that basis, I approve of adapting Flashpoint. Though the entire point of the story is changing the past. So I have to wonder what (if anything) will be changed for the DCEU. Seems interesting no matter what though.

One thing that annoys me about the Flashpoint announcement is the clickbait scumbags will spin this as a rumour to reboot the DCEU. It wouldn't even surprise me if they still want to fuel bullsh*t rumours about casting changes. But on the bright side, we could get that touching scene where Bruce reads his father's letter as delivered by the Flash. Try ridiculing that scene, you pathetic clickbait-chasing wankers.

Back to the trailer, I like how Bruce emphasises Superman was an inspirational symbol to the world and the League appears to be founded based on his legacy. Of course, I saw some idiot naysayer on Twitter claiming Superman was a dick in the last two movies and thinks WB are treating the audience like idiots. Right, because Superman killing off the last remaining member of his own race to protect humanity and sacrificing himself to stop Doomsday that wins the respect of the divisive population, including Batman, is something that a dick would do. ::) What can I say, some people are just hopeless.

By the way, did anybody else pick up resemblance between the trailer music on 2:54 to the music during closing credits of MOS? Check it out on the track below on 2:40 and compare.

Another recurring visual cue that's carried over from BvS is the bullet casing. We saw it dropping on the ground after the Waynes were shot to death in the opening credits, and saw it falling after the military fires into the air during Superman's funeral. Now we see it falling again after the Batmobile appeared to fire one of the machine guns.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

No disagreements with anyone here folks. Alfred and Gordon seem to be getting some decent screentime. One thing this is doing which the avengers didn't is showing heroes with different levels of experience. Diana has been Wonder Woman for over a century, Bruce has been Batman for 20 years, the other three are just starting out it seems. I am actually finding this flash might be more true to the character than the TV version. I like the show but Grant Gustin isn't as funny and quirky as the flash should be, it seems this new guy might be.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sun, 23 Jul  2017, 20:43
The view a lot of Batman fans have had post-Nolan is Batman less as a superhero and more as a freestanding sci-fi character. Things like Flashpoint integrate Batman more completely into a shared comic book universe. On that basis, I approve of adapting Flashpoint.
Me too. I've been a fan of fantastical Batman for a while now, but the DCEU kicked it into another gear. Before Snyder I was more or less a 'Batman works alone' kind of guy. I was okay with fantastical elements, ala Burton, but wanted it to remain 'in house', so to speak. But now I've completely embraced the shared universe concept.

It makes Batman's world broader and opens up more possibilities. You just have to change your mindset a little bit. Batman is no longer the main focus of the world. He's just a part of it. The world actually belongs to the meta humans, and obviously, everyday humans like Bruce Wayne inhabit this same world as well.

Quote from: riddler on Mon, 24 Jul  2017, 13:51
One thing this is doing which the avengers didn't is showing heroes with different levels of experience. Diana has been Wonder Woman for over a century, Bruce has been Batman for 20 years, the other three are just starting out it seems.
Yep. I like that as well. It's been said before, but I like how each member has their own unique skillset. Minus Batman (who remains the best character anyway), these characters are all incredibly powerful as well. If an alien invasion happened tomorrow, I'd bet my life that Superman, Wonder Woman and Flash could stop it rather quickly.

I am actually finding this flash might be more true to the character than the TV version. I like the show but Grant Gustin isn't as funny and quirky as the flash should be, it seems this new guy might be.
It's weird, but for me, Ezra has completely owned this role on trailers alone in comparison to the TV show which has been running for a long time now. I din't think it would happen, but it has. Ezra seems to have genuine talent in the sense he's mostly channeling himself, ala Gal Gadot. He's the same man off screen as he is on screen. He's fun, full of energy and knows his stuff. He's not a dummy.

I am actually finding this flash might be more true to the character than the TV version. I like the show but Grant Gustin isn't as funny and quirky as the flash should be, it seems this new guy might be.

But Barry isn't funny or quirky in the comics either. If anything he's a bit of a square. A meticulous analytical workaholic who misses half his social engagements because he's putting in overtime at the crime lab. Based on what we've glimpsed so far, I'd say Miller more closely resembles the Wally West Kid Flash than Barry Allen. I also think both he and Gustin are a little young for the role. Barry should really be closer in age to Clark and Bruce. But I'll reserve judgement until I've seen the finished film.

I'm not sure how I feel about Flashpoint being the basis for his first movie. I like Flashpoint. It's a good story and I'd love to see it adapted at some point. But as his first solo outing? There are so many other classic stories they could start with. Why this one? How about first establishing the vendetta between the Flash and Reverse-Flash before leapfrogging straight to that vendetta's culmination. It's like what we were recently discussing in another thread about Death of Superman – some stories have to be earned. Flashpoint is one of them.

I think it might have been better to save this particular storyline for a future Justice League film. If the DCEU reaches a point where the actors are looking to move on (a situation which the MCU will likely face after the fourth Avengers film), then Flashpoint would've been the perfect vehicle to perform a soft reboot and introduce new actors in the roles. Instead they're using it now, right at the beginning. It just seems an odd choice to me. And I worry that Batman – even the Thomas Wayne version – will end up overshadowing the Flash in his own film. One of the reasons Wonder Woman was so satisfying was the absence of other heroes. It was Wonder Woman's movie and hers alone. I'd like the Flash to get the same treatment. 

I'm confident about Matt Reeves' Batman movie, I'm confident about the Wonder Woman sequel, and I'm reasonably confident about James Wan's Aquaman film. But the Flash movie has got me a little worried and I'd be lying if I said otherwise. They've lost three directors in the last fifteen months and now they're rewriting the screenplay from scratch before they've even secured another director to handle the gig. A director should be involved in overseeing script development from the very beginning (hence why it was a good thing that Matt Reeves threw out the old Batman script). The Flash is my third favourite DC hero and I'd love to see him get a really great movie. But it shouldn't be this hard to get it right.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 26 Jul  2017, 13:00Me too. I've been a fan of fantastical Batman for a while now, but the DCEU kicked it into another gear. Before Snyder I was more or less a 'Batman works alone' kind of guy. I was okay with fantastical elements, ala Burton, but wanted it to remain 'in house', so to speak. But now I've completely embraced the shared universe concept.

It makes Batman's world broader and opens up more possibilities. You just have to change your mindset a little bit. Batman is no longer the main focus of the world. He's just a part of it. The world actually belongs to the meta humans, and obviously, everyday humans like Bruce Wayne inhabit this same world as well.

It was the logical way to go. We've seen solo Batman, Batman and Robin, dark Batman, light Batman, fantasy Batman and gritty realistic Batman. What we haven't seen in live action is a sci-fi Batman who exists in a wider universe of superheroes. That's exactly what the Affleck incarnation is delivering. Once this version of Batman is concluded, there's really nowhere else to go in theatrical terms except Batman Beyond.