Justice League Part One....filming underway!

Started by Grissom, Tue, 12 Apr 2016, 15:51

Previous topic - Next topic
Never mind the DCEU it took until 2017 for DC/WB to meet their own expectations on a film not featuring superman or batman. We can argue whether MOS, BvS or SS are good films all day but none came anywhere close to the expectations DC themselves set. Compare that to Marvel starting out the MCU where the first four films out of the gate (Iron man 1 and 2, incredible hulk, and thor), all met expectations and all but the incredible hulk exceeded them. Now I respect the fac that DC is doing it differently than establishing a few heroes and then doing their ensemble film but the Justice League has a lot riding on it for this DCEU to turn out anywhere close to what Marvel did through phase one (nevermind what they're doing now, I didn't like GOTG2 and I'm going to see Spider-man homecoming tonight, I suspect I will either be very happy or have some bones to pick with Marvel in about 12 hours).

Overall I like what I see and hear from the JLA. The Snyder tragedy is awful, coming from someone who has had over a dozen suicide attempts themselves, I really feel everyone involved handled the Snyder situation as best as they could. Joss Whedon seems to be trying to finish what Snyder started and isn't turning it into his own project, I like that they seem to be lightening up the tone to have more fun, and hearing Danny Elfman sign on made my day. Aquaman seems to be turned into a legit character instead of a laughing stock but DC still has a lot of work to do. It's been brought up that at least their DCEU films have been profitable so far but I want to see how they handle smaller properties Aquaman, Cyborg, and Shazam before calling this a success. We had to wait until this year before seeing an acclaimed feature starring neither Batman or Superman, who knows how long we'll have to wait before DC gives us another one? Hopefully just a year before Aquaman comes but nothing is guaranteed.

Quote from: Dagenspear on Sat,  8 Jul  2017, 10:11If someone's going to hide behind profit and ignore expectations, it's gonna be said.
Your expectations, right? I'm not sure what's so difficult for you to grasp about my argument about the variables concerning BVS and I'm honestly in no mood to relitigate that issue.

You're wrong. Simple as that.

As to appeal to authority vis a vis mentioning the movie's profit (of which there was a lot), that's an objective measure of success. The movie cost $X to produce. It grossed $Y in undeniable profit. Pointing that out is inconvenient to people who want to project flaws, failures and shortcomings BVS doesn't merit so I understand why you're eager to move away from that aspect of the discussion. But it doesn't change the facts (A) that you're wrong and (B) the movie was a box office success by definition.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed, 12 Jul  2017, 00:29Your expectations, right? I'm not sure what's so difficult for you to grasp about my argument about the variables concerning BVS and I'm honestly in no mood to relitigate that issue.

You're wrong. Simple as that.

As to appeal to authority vis a vis mentioning the movie's profit (of which there was a lot), that's an objective measure of success. The movie cost $X to produce. It grossed $Y in undeniable profit. Pointing that out is inconvenient to people who want to project flaws, failures and shortcomings BVS doesn't merit so I understand why you're eager to move away from that aspect of the discussion. But it doesn't change the facts (A) that you're wrong and (B) the movie was a box office success by definition.
Any money issues may BvS have is the least of its shortcomings. But that doesn't erase the fact that by all standards it should have done better. There are different expectations for different characters and they have no excuse because MOS did decently for itself. And BvS only got a couple hundred million more. That doesn't make the movie a failure, but it certainly doesn't make the movie a strong success. No matter what though, profit doesn't make any movie good. Those that try to use that as a defense for a movie aren't correct. Have a very great day!

God bless you all!

A new image has been released from the film, from a sequence we've already seen from the trailers:

I prefer the BvS cowl, but that's not a major gripe. The suit still looks fantastic.

I liked Batman v Superman but let's call a spade a spade. The first ever movie featuring Batman and Superman together along with even Wonder Woman was at least a step behind Iron Man, the Avengers, Captain America 2 and 3, Guardians of the Galaxy, Deadpool, heck maybe even Ant-Man. Even if you enjoyed the film, you'd have to admit that given the stakes it was a let down to some extent.

Quote from: riddler on Fri, 14 Jul  2017, 04:24
I liked Batman v Superman but let's call a spade a spade. The first ever movie featuring Batman and Superman together along with even Wonder Woman was at least a step behind Iron Man, the Avengers, Captain America 2 and 3, Guardians of the Galaxy, Deadpool, heck maybe even Ant-Man. Even if you enjoyed the film, you'd have to admit that given the stakes it was a let down to some extent.

I'd rate IM1, Avengers, and TWS as the better films from that list. I think Civil War is overrated. I did enjoy Deadpool but I don't think I 'll ever watch it again. GOTG1 and Ant-Man were good, and much better than the crap Marvel has released so far this year. But even then, I think I prefer BvS than either of them. A ciascuno il suo.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I liked Batman v Superman but let's call a spade a spade.
I always do.
The first ever movie featuring Batman and Superman together along with even Wonder Woman was at least a step behind Iron Man, the Avengers, Captain America 2 and 3, Guardians of the Galaxy, Deadpool, heck maybe even Ant-Man.
Not from my point of view.
Even if you enjoyed the film, you'd have to admit that given the stakes it was a let down to some extent.
It actually exceeded my expectations, especially the UE. If I want a more cheery first encounter between the two characters I always have the DCAU World's Finest crossover. I'm glad they didn't simply repeat that and instead gave us something else. Snyder and WB had balls of steel to take the direction they did. They could've played it safe but they didn't. I think that should be applauded, not lambasted. To me it's not just another film that came and went.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 14 Jul  2017, 08:50
It actually exceeded my expectations, especially the UE. If I want a more cheery first encounter between the two characters I always have the DCAU World's Finest crossover. I'm glad they didn't simply repeat that and instead gave us something else. Snyder and WB had balls of steel to take the direction they did. They could've played it safe but they didn't. I think that should be applauded, not lambasted. To me it's not just another film that came and went.

Christopher Nolan isn't above criticism here did he not take risks? I just don't give movie a passes based on what they tried to do. Take the Ang Lee Hulk as a classic example, it was ambitious and TRIED to do things which hadn't been done before but the execution was poor and so was the film. I'm not calling BvS poor but some of these risks did not pay off such as turning Superman into a flying batman and making Gotham and Metropolis indistinguishable from each other. The Batman treatment is fine, I put Affleck just behind Keaton and Irons was an excellent Alfred. The superman handling though is where the movie suffers.

Quote from: riddler on Fri, 14 Jul  2017, 13:00
Christopher Nolan isn't above criticism here did he not take risks? I just don't give movie a passes based on what they tried to do. Take the Ang Lee Hulk as a classic example, it was ambitious and TRIED to do things which hadn't been done before but the execution was poor and so was the film. I'm not calling BvS poor but some of these risks did not pay off such as turning Superman into a flying batman and making Gotham and Metropolis indistinguishable from each other. The Batman treatment is fine, I put Affleck just behind Keaton and Irons was an excellent Alfred. The superman handling though is where the movie suffers.

I don't understand what you mean when you say Superman is a flying version of Batman. Superman faces multiple challenges such as coping with a divisive world, a paranoid and cruel Batman, and with Lex manipulating everyone in between. Batman is increasingly paranoid and convinced that Superman will go rogue, because of his experience that goodness keeps getting lost somewhere down the line. None of the Batman films had focused on how Bruce Wayne affects the world around him like Superman does in BvS.

Just because Superman is struggling in a broken world despite trying to do the right thing doesn't make him a Batman clone.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei