Justice League Part One....filming underway!

Started by Grissom, Tue, 12 Apr 2016, 15:51

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Dagenspear on Sat,  8 Jul  2017, 02:20
Of course it's going to do better. It would be silly otherwise. It should be doing better than what it's doing though.
This is the negative spin you see, perfectly exemplified by the above post. Thanks for proving my point.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat,  8 Jul  2017, 02:37This is the negative spin you see, perfectly exemplified by the above post. Thanks for proving my point.
There's an odd desire present here to not admit the flaws of the DCEU. Have a very great day!

God bless you all!

There's an odd desire present from you not to admit the successes of the DCEU without giving a negative slant. You just can't say the DCEU is banking more cash than Marvel. You have to fidget around and say they should be making MORE money than what they are already making. I mean, c'mon.

Comic book movies generally make what they make, regardless of which characters are starring in them. Does DC have to make $1 billion plus for each movie to be considered a really big success? Because that's not going to happen on a regular basis anymore.

If a film makes a profit that's a win, and that's what has been happening for DC. But to sit around and whine that DC should be making more money....when they are already banking good money, is just sour grapes.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat,  8 Jul  2017, 03:29
There's an odd desire present from you not to admit the successes of the DCEU without giving a negative slant. You just can't say the DCEU is banking more cash than Marvel. You have to fidget around and say they should be making MORE money than what they are already making. I mean, c'mon.

Well, considering this is the same guy who says the Nolans are wrong when they acknowledge Batman broke his no-kill rule in the trilogy, what do you expect?
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat,  8 Jul  2017, 03:29There's an odd desire present from you not to admit the successes of the DCEU without giving a negative slant. You just can't say the DCEU is banking more cash than Marvel. You have to fidget around and say they should be making MORE money than what they are already making. I mean, c'mon.

Comic book movies generally make what they make, regardless of which characters are starring in them. Does DC have to make $1 billion plus for each movie to be considered a really big success? Because that's not going to happen on a regular basis anymore.

If a film makes a profit that's a win, and that's what has been happening for DC. But to sit around and whine that DC should be making more money....when they are already banking good money, is just sour grapes.
It's needless to ignore the problems of something. If it helps I could point out the problems of the MCU, but that doesn't seem relevant to the situation. I would change pretty much the majority of phase 2, the first Avengers movie and AOU. CA should be more gritty and war oriented. It's cheap otherwise. IM 2 is an empty movie. Thor is more like a TV Pilot than a movie and its story is lacking. Every movie, every movie, has a lacking. If someone's going to hide behind profit and ignore expectations, it's gonna be said.
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat,  8 Jul  2017, 03:36Well, considering this is the same guy who says the Nolans are wrong when they acknowledge Batman broke his no-kill rule in the trilogy, what do you expect?
If you want to think Nolan's word matters when it contradicts the statement of the main character in the movie, be my guest. But Christopher Nolan doesn't walk on water. He's simply wrong here.

Quote from: Dagenspear on Sat,  8 Jul  2017, 02:16Much like riddler said, there are different expectations. DC movies should be more profitable. But they're not as profitable as it should be.
According to whom?

And if past is prologue, Superman has been viewed as a box office risk for at least twenty five years. Batman has done really well at the movies in recent years, sure, but that hasn't been universal. And there was risk in rebooting the character considering how successful the Nolan version was. Wonder Woman was a completely unproven commodity until a few weeks ago.

WB started from behind the 8-ball in ways Marvel didn't have to and had limitations Marvel didn't. On balance, I think they've done pretty well on a creative level.

Quote from: Dagenspear on Sat,  8 Jul  2017, 10:11
If someone's going to hide behind profit and ignore expectations, it's gonna be said.
How on Earth does the DCEU 'hide behind profit' when the profit aspect is either not reported or downplayed by people like you? There is NOWHERE for the DCEU to hide given the level of aggression and bias against it. Their case must be made because no-one else will make it, because they're too busy pointing at Rotten Tomato scores.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat,  8 Jul  2017, 14:55
According to whom?

And if past is prologue, Superman has been viewed as a box office risk for at least twenty five years. Batman has done really well at the movies in recent years, sure, but that hasn't been universal. And there was risk in rebooting the character considering how successful the Nolan version was. Wonder Woman was a completely unproven commodity until a few weeks ago.

WB started from behind the 8-ball in ways Marvel didn't have to and had limitations Marvel didn't. On balance, I think they've done pretty well on a creative level.
Agreed. BvS is one of the most hated comic book films by the 'know it all crowd'. But this quote nails everything for me: "I never wanted to be popular. I want to be significant. Significant people can become popular, popular people almost never become significant." Most Marvel films just come and go and don't challenge your senses in any real way. Snyder created something that will always drive debate. I know what I'd prefer.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat,  8 Jul  2017, 14:55According to whom?

In all honesty, a Batman and Superman movie should have done better than it did. That's what I was talking about mainly. MOS did solid for it's starting point. That makes sense considering it's one of the better made DCEU movies, 2nd to WW from what I hear.
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun,  9 Jul  2017, 02:03How on Earth does the DCEU 'hide behind profit' when the profit aspect is either not reported or downplayed by people like you? There is NOWHERE for the DCEU to hide given the level of aggression and bias against it. Their case must be made because no-one else will make it, because they're too busy pointing at Rotten Tomato scores.
The DCEU doesn't. In this particularly case the person defending it did. The sad truth is that many things make a profit that aren't good. Age Of Ultron Thor TDW and IM 3 made a profit and those certainly are the lesser of the MCU totem polls.
QuoteAgreed. BvS is one of the most hated comic book films by the 'know it all crowd'. But this quote nails everything for me: "I never wanted to be popular. I want to be significant. Significant people can become popular, popular people almost never become significant." Most Marvel films just come and go and don't challenge your senses in any real way. Snyder created something that will always drive debate. I know what I'd prefer.
It's funny, because that sounds like something a know it all would say. The conflict attachment to justify the fact that there's a split in fans regarding a movie isn't something I get. But it's certainly not the most hated cbm. That goes to something like Batman & Robin, unjustly. Have a very great day!

God bless you all!

Mon, 10 Jul 2017, 09:41 #168 Last Edit: Mon, 10 Jul 2017, 09:51 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: Dagenspear on Sun,  9 Jul  2017, 12:12
The DCEU doesn't. In this particularly case the person defending it did.
You will always see me defending the DCEU films, Suicide Squad to a lesser extent, on their creative merit. That's why I like them in the first place. To suggest I'm hiding behind profit alone is simply false. It's just an added bonus that the franchise is banking cash, because naturally that means the franchise continues. The issue I have is that the cash banking fact isn't emphasised by others, and when it is, sour grapes come into play.
The sad truth is that many things make a profit that aren't good. Age Of Ultron Thor TDW and IM 3 made a profit and those certainly are the lesser of the MCU totem polls.
Oh, here we go. The good old 'you must just like bad movies' routine.
It's funny, because that sounds like something a know it all would say.
Thanks for the laugh Mr. Holier Than Thou.
The conflict attachment to justify the fact that there's a split in fans regarding a movie isn't something I get.
Then that's your problem and not mine.
But it's certainly not the most hated cbm. That goes to something like Batman & Robin, unjustly.
I said it's one of the most hated comic books of all time, and I stand by that claim, even though the tide is turning.

Mon, 10 Jul 2017, 12:40 #169 Last Edit: Mon, 10 Jul 2017, 12:43 by Dagenspear
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 10 Jul  2017, 09:41You will always see me defending the DCEU films, Suicide Squad to a lesser extent, on their creative merit. That's why I like them in the first place. To suggest I'm hiding behind profit alone is simply false. It's just an added bonus that the franchise is banking cash, because naturally that means the franchise continues. The issue I have is that the cash banking fact isn't emphasised by others, and when it is, sour grapes come into play.
If you bring it up as a way to point to a movie's quality, it's hiding behind. More than anything the sour grapes are coming from the side who don't like that, according to them, a movie they like is "one of the most hated cbm of all time".
QuoteOh, here we go. The good old 'you must just like bad movies' routine.
Do you like those movies? You're allowed to. That's your God given free will.
QuoteThanks for the laugh Mr. Holier Than Thou.
That seems to be the pot calling the kettle black.
QuoteThen that's your problem and not mine.
My opinion isn't a problem in this regard.
QuoteI said it's one of the most hated comic books of all time, and I stand by that claim, even though the tide is turning.
Who cares if the tide turns? It won't make anything good or bad. Have a very great day!

God bless you all!