Justice League Part One....filming underway!

Started by Grissom, Tue, 12 Apr 2016, 15:51

Previous topic - Next topic
That's unfortunate. But Elfman has demonstrated the ability to work within a pre-existing style and color inside the lines. There's no reason to think the existing DCEU musical themes will be tossed out.

There is a possibility that the Elfman Batman theme might make a comeback though. Playing that against Junkie XL's Batman themes could be pretty awesome.

Warner Brothers did say Whedon would film new scenes, and they'd match the tone Snyder already established. I'll take them at their word for now. I'm guessing Elfman will be scoring those additional scenes, while respecting the musical themes that have already been established. I think people elsewhere need to chill the F out.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 15 Jun  2017, 01:42Warner Brothers did say Whedon would film new scenes, and they'd match the tone Snyder already established. I'll take them at their word for now. I'm guessing Elfman will be scoring those additional scenes, while respecting the musical themes that have already been established. I think people elsewhere need to chill the F out.
I don't see the downside of Elfman scoring a movie that has Batman in it. If other people are losing their minds over it... well, that's their problem.

So Zimmer scored part of BVS. Now Elfman is scoring at least part of JL.

Say, anybody else wondering if Goldenthal might handle the musical chores for The Batman? :D

From The Hollywood Reporter:

Superman, Batman and now ... Elfman.

Danny Elfman is set to dole out the sweet sound of justice, coming on board to compose the score for Justice League, Warner Bros.' all-star superhero extravaganza, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

The hiring comes just as additional photography, with director Joss Whedon standing in for Zack Snyder, for the movie gets underway in London. Whedon is overseeing the new shoot and postproduction work on Justice League after Snyder stepped aside to deal with a family tragedy.

Snyder had been working with Antonius Tom Holkenborg, aka Junkie XL, on the movie. Holkenborg, who scored Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice and counts movies like Mad Max: Fury Road and Deadpool among his credits, is now moving on to Tomb Raider, according to sources.

In a statement to THR, Holkenborg said, "As my mentor Hans Zimmer told me — you haven't made it in Hollywood as a composer until you get replaced on a project. So I guess finally graduated this week. It pains me to leave the project, but a big thanks to Zack for asking me to part of his vision, and I wish Danny, Joss and Warner Bros all the best with Justice League."

Elfman has some familiarity with coming in late on projects and with working with Whedon. He was brought on board in the later stages of making Whedon's 2015 superhero movie Avengers: Age of Ultron, adding to the music already written by Brian Tyler.

Elfman is one of the big names in the movie music field, known for his longtime work with director Tim Burton, early comic book movies Batman and Batman Returns, among them. He also worked with Sam Raimi on Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2, among the filmmaker's other titles.

This year, Elfman worked on Fifty Shades Darker and The Circle.

Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/justice-league-danny-elfman-compose-score-1013319

As much as I love Danny Elfman as a composer, I'm mixed about this news.

On one hand, I'm happy that he's returning to collaborate with WB/DC once again. But on the other hand, I can't help but feel it's very odd that he's replacing Junkie XL if he was Snyder's original choice. What I don't like about this news is the gossip mongers will spin this to demonstrate "Whedon is changing course" for the film. I've seen some fans on Twitter getting apprehensive about this news because it gives them the impression the rumours that Whedon is changing the film does have some merit after all. But then again, I've noticed a lot of these people actually don't like Elfman, so I wouldn't take them seriously.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 15 Jun  2017, 01:19
There is a possibility that the Elfman Batman theme might make a comeback though. Playing that against Junkie XL's Batman themes could be pretty awesome.

To be honest, I doubt - and hope - it doesn't happen. I love the Elfman theme as much as everybody else here, but that time has passed. That would be the equivalent to John Williams' Superman theme featuring with DCEU Superman. It doesn't fit. As great as those themes are, they don't have the be all, end all of the characters in live action.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Elfman was hired to do some additional score, like with Avengers 2. It's a coincidence that it's a movie with Batman in it, but no doubt "Elfman Returns" can get even the most jaded people of a certain niche (myself included) very-very excited. At least one subtle reference to his motif wouldn't be ruled out.

I'm fairly happy about the Elfman news. I haven't been too fond of Junkie XL's work as a composer. I know some people really like his stuff, but it's not my style.

Nice shot. I see Zack is the one who shared it. I'm hoping he attends Comic-Con, and I think he probably will.

Don't know why the amount of official stills available is so small. BvS had only a handful (you were mostly seeing the same trailer screencaps posted over and over, not actual stills) and now with Justice League it's pretty much the same. Very few.

Compare to the Nolan era. The amount of official stills avaliable during the few months before The Dark Knight Rises came out was vast, and mostly hi-res (4000-6000px) too.

Same with Batman Begins and (especially) The Dark Knight.

Quote from: Travesty on Tue, 27 Jun  2017, 21:10
New pic of Batman from JL.

I thought we would see the BvS Batsuit one more time in JL. This is a great image. Reminds of Keaton's Batman wandering around the dark cathedral in B89.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei