Justice League Part One....filming underway!

Started by Grissom, Tue, 12 Apr 2016, 15:51

Previous topic - Next topic
Geeze, he even has to justify spending time with his family and grieving a child. I mean... no, there's no need to justify that. He should take all the time he needs and F anybody who doesn't like it.

I try not to be a misanthrope but people don't make it very easy.

I found a great article by somebody who denounces the lack of decency by degenerates taking pleasure in Snyder's departure from the film to grieve for his daughter, and his decision to cast Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman paved the way for some early overwhelming positive reviews for her performance in the upcoming solo film. BE WARNED: contains screenshots of unsavory, disgusting tweets by assholes making light of this tragedy, but it's necessary as it drives the author's point. 

Source: http://www.screengeek.net/2017/05/23/mocking-zack-snyder-tragedy-makes-you-a-piece-of-sh*t/

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed, 24 May  2017, 11:29
I found a great article by somebody who denounces the lack of decency by degenerates taking pleasure in Snyder's departure from the film to grieve for his daughter, and his decision to cast Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman paved the way for some early overwhelming positive reviews for her performance in the upcoming solo film. BE WARNED: contains screenshots of unsavory, disgusting tweets by assholes making light of this tragedy, but it's necessary as it drives the author's point. 

Source: http://www.screengeek.net/2017/05/23/mocking-zack-snyder-tragedy-makes-you-a-piece-of-sh*t/
Wow!  These people are scum!

That said, it shouldn't surprise me.  I've encountered such insensitivity, at best, and gleeful hate, at worst, before, and I could have counted on some of these trolls celebrating the news of Snyder's departure and even making light of suicide.

I don't think the ones simply saying "I'm not a fan of Snyder's films, but my heart goes out to him..." are so bad.  I think their overall point is valid and acceptable (but just to be clear, I don't particularly agree, since I am a fan of some, albeit not all, of Snyder's films including Watchmen and even the much-maligned Sucker Punch).  To me it's simply the timing that's the issue here.  There is a time and place to say 'I'm not a fan of Snyder's films'.  Commenting in relation to his daughter's suicide is NOT that time and place.

But the ones mocking Snyder with "You let them die" memes or celebrating his departure and suggesting he should never be allowed back into the DCEU, even after they've heard of the reason for his current decision to step away from shooting the rest of BvS, are vermin.  Plain and simple.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Wow, just wow.. These are like coming from the "other" internet, where being trash is the norm.

As for the rest, yes, starting with "not a fan" while commenting on a tragedy is out of place. It's beside the point, nobody asked, you shouldn't comment, does anyone think fake condolences acompanied by a "not a fan" disclaimer from nobodies over the internet mean anything to a grieving father?

Yeah, it's just sad now. I already saw Zack Snyder as a sympathetic figure, but this latest saga has taken things to a whole other level. The detractors have overplayed their hand. If being hired by a studio to direct a film and adding your own flair is a crime, then Zack Snyder is guilty. He made BvS in good faith and it wasn't to everyone's taste. That's fine, but where does the hounding end? His daughter committed suicide and these people are celebrating that he's off the film? I mean, really? That's as low as things get. This treatment has only strengthened my loyalty to Zack.

Legitimate criticism of art/entertainment is perfectly reasonable, but the problem is that some of Snyder's detractors online, including professional critics, who should in theory known better, took things to personal levels (rather than criticising the film(s) they attacked Snyder as an individual).  Of course, they weren't to know about the Snyder family's trauma, but that's the whole point.  One can never know what a person is going through, and so it's important to maintain civility and to treat people reasonably, at all times (unless of course they are being uncivil and unreasonable themselves). 

Snyder didn't deserve some of the personalised abuse he was receiving before the news of his daughter's suicide emerged, and he most certainly didn't deserve it in hindsight.  What's worse is that some of these cretins are still doubling down on the hate.  Clearly these people have no compassion, or are simply too clueless to understand the impact of such misanthropic trolling.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

You know, it hit me the other day that I could overlook everything. Literally all else Snyder has ever done. If I hated every movie he's directed (which I don't), I could still put it out of mind.

For one reason.

The opening of BVS shows the best, most perfect, dare I say definitive version of the Wayne murders. Burton did great, Schumacher only showed us a glimpse, I'm not sure Nolan even got the point and I never even bothered watching Gotham so who knows what they did. But BVS? I don't need to see any other cinematic interpretation of the Wayne murders ever again. Snyder nailed it. It's perfect, operatic, epic and the music (Junkie XL?) perfectly captures the tone without going to the left or the right with it.

Even if everything Snyder ever did sucked (which it doesn't; much of it is good, some of it is great), the Wayne murder sequence in BVS redeems everything.

When that opening sequence started with the amazing visuals and the amazing soundtrack, I just knew the movie had serious promise. The RT score was in the back of my head, and I was thinking it all must turn to s*** after this. But that never happened.

The Snyder version of the Wayne murders is hands down the most powerful, and those added scenes in the UE make it even more confronting. When those bullet shells fell to theground, we were literally witnessing the birth of Batman. It was chill inducing stuff.

Plus, I appreciated how Snyder had Thomas Wayne attack the mugger. It's what happened in the original origin story and it was finally depicted in live action. With that opening scene, Snyder really showed he meant business. And the Metroplis attack from Bruce's perspective kept that momentum going.

Thu, 25 May 2017, 03:40 #108 Last Edit: Thu, 25 May 2017, 04:03 by thecolorsblend
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 25 May  2017, 01:27Plus, I appreciated how Snyder had Thomas Wayne attack the mugger. It's what happened in the original origin story and it was finally depicted in live action. With that opening scene, Snyder really showed he meant business.
Good catch, actually. Usually Thomas is shown as a bit spineless. But Snyder showed him trying to protect his family. I hadn't realized how much I connected to that until you mentioned it. Nice one!

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 25 May  2017, 01:27And the Metroplis attack from Bruce's perspective kept that momentum going.
The thing about that whole sequence that works for me is how we see NOTHING from Superman's point of view. All we see is things going to hell and Superman seemingly responsible for it. It immediately draws the viewer into Batman's point of view. Yeah, WE know Superman was saving the world. But all Batman saw was buildings collapse and people die. That difference in perspective makes everything else in the movie believable for me.

Love that movie.

EDIT- There is a bit of an issue with Superman's rescue of Lois in Africa though. It's about 7,900 miles from Chicago to Kenya... which roughly approximates the distance from Metropolis to Nairomi, I guess. So it would take Superman a bit over an hour to fly that far... and that's assuming he can fly at Mach 10. And maybe he can in the DCEU, I have no idea.

But that poses a challenge because the Nairomi scene seems like it plays out more or less in real time. So just a few minutes.

Small potatoes, really. And besides, maybe Superman was keeping an eye on Lois from afar over in Cairo or something so he could fly there relatively quickly even if his top speed is Mach 5. So there are way to No-Prize that. I'm just saying that if we take that sequence at face value, the only logical conclusion is that Superman had to be nearby but out of sight to begin with in order to arrive on the scene so quickly... unless he can fly so fast that he sets the surrounding air on fire as he moves (which maybe he can do, I have no idea).

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 25 May  2017, 03:40
Good catch, actually. Usually Thomas is shown as a bit spineless. But Snyder showed him trying to protect his family. I hadn't realized how much I connected to that until you mentioned it. Nice one!
Yep. I've seen others complain about this touch, saying it made Thomas look like a violent man practically asking to be shot. I don't really agree, because the man is going to be shot in any case. If he has to die, dying as a protector of his family is a noble way to go. And it's from the original comic. THE original comic. That gets a lot of points for me. Every other depiction of the murders has been a deviation from the original. Snyder just presented the sequence as it was originally intended, with TDK Returns influences.
The thing about that whole sequence that works for me is how we see NOTHING from Superman's point of view. All we see is things going to hell and Superman seemingly responsible for it. It immediately draws the viewer into Batman's point of view. Yeah, WE know Superman was saving the world. But all Batman saw was buildings collapse and people die. That difference in perspective makes everything else in the movie believable for me.
Ending the sequence with the little girl sold it to me. The death of millions is a statistic. The death of a single person is a tragedy. Bruce connects to the girl's loss. That's when it became really personal. He looks up in the sky to see Superman and Zod, and it's as if he makes the vow right then and there.

If you haven't seen it already, watch this. It's a side by side real time comparison of the Metropolis scene in MoS and BvS. Watching this gave me a newfound appreciation of how it all matches up. I don't think they could've have done it any better.

EDIT- There is a bit of an issue with Superman's rescue of Lois in Africa though. It's about 7,900 miles from Chicago to Kenya... which roughly approximates the distance from Metropolis to Nairomi, I guess. So it would take Superman a bit over an hour to fly that far... and that's assuming he can fly at Mach 10. And maybe he can in the DCEU, I have no idea.
I think it's within the realms of possibility he flew from Metropolis in a short space of time. Superman's first flight in Man of Steel had him flying around the world and then into space at very fast speeds. But I'm inclined to believe he was already in the general vicinity at the beginning of BvS. Lois' involvement in a very risky interview would mean he's going to be concerned. I'm guessing Superman flew down as soon as he suspected something was wrong. That's a better explanation in my opinion. He may have heard the gunshots, and that's what sparked his involvement.