Marvel’s The Defenders (Netflix)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Mon, 11 Apr 2016, 20:19

Previous topic - Next topic
I watched the video, from what I gathered 3000 feet was brutally managed and that was the games downfall. Another one is games they were using as inspiration at the time; mimicking Tony Hawk to have Daredevil slide along cables and stuff.. something he does do once in a while but not nearly enough to make it a main feature. Also why did they go so heavily into incorporating Grand theft auto? Just because it was a sandbox game?

It seems the video game went through a similar path as the movie; originally started out as a small project until the big companies swooped in, increased the budget, got their fingers in the pie and ruined the end product. A lot of fans including myself weren't happy that the theatrical release was downgraded from an R rating to PG but at least the intended version initially got released.

It doesn't seem like the game was incorporating Daredevils blindness. I like the idea of giving the player a hybrid vision; allow the character to see about 5-10 feet in front of him but once Daredevil gets close enough, the objects appear and remain visible as long as he stays in the room. Objects that make noise become visible immediately once Daredevil is allowed to hear him and things like sonic sounds and bells can distort his senses. I would incorporate the ability for Daredevil to throw hi bow staff at objects as a way of interacting with the enviroment.

I think superhero movies have evolved past having video game tie ins. The DCEU isn't doing it, the MCU stopped after Thor and Captain America (the former which was a disaster), I think the last one we had was the Amazing Spider-man 2; interesting because both those games took place after their respective movies as opposed to being based on them. Spider-man Homecoming is the first spidey movie that didn't get a video game tie in. Let's see how the upcoming spider-man game (independent from any movie properties) does, supposedly it is mimicking many elements from the Arkham games. The last time Marvel made an independent game for one of their characters was the deadpool game which was very well received partially because it was retrofitted for the character. We may be on our way if Spideys next game ends up successful.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Mon, 17 Jul  2017, 03:18
But I think whether or not an Arkham style approach is used or not, one neat feature would be toggling between "regular vision" (eg, POV type stuff) and "radar sense". Perhaps some entire levels would be fight in pitch darkness, requiring the use of the radar sense. Usage of this could be complicated by loud reverberating sounds which distort the radar.

The only real idea I had was a scenario where Daredevil has to infiltrate the Kingpin's compound. The objective would be to find some vital clue or something that reveals where the next piece of the tri-force is hidden without being seen. That seems more interesting to me than storming the castle, guns blazing. Daredevil is a ninja, after all, so why not have a sequence that depends upon him using his skills for infiltration, sneaking around and avoiding detection?

Mind you, I'm not a gamer so this stuff might be sort of lame. I wouldn't know.

That's not lame at all. Those are great ideas. Stealth mechanics are a must for a Daredevil game, and infiltrating the Fisk Tower would make for an excellent final stage. With Matt's radar sense, you'd be able to enter a building and know exactly where everyone was. This would make it easy to figure out patrol routes and avoid detection. The idea of using darkness to your advantage is also a great suggestion. Strategically taking out the lights with your billy club would lower the bad guys' fighting efficiency. But as the enemies get tougher towards the end of the game, they start wearing night vision goggles to compensate. The player could also use Matt's grapple line and gymnastic skills to scale the outside of the building whenever the interior pathways become impassable.

I think a Daredevil game would need to follow the Metroid tradition of having the main character lose most of their weapons/skills right at the beginning, then gradually reacquire them as they progress to new areas. The player could start off with all of Matt's sensory powers during the opening tutorial. Then an explosion or blow to the head throws your senses out of whack and leaves you with just echolocation and a basic billy club. Shortly afterwards you get back your radar and upgrade the billy club to include the grapple line. Next you regain your sense of smell and acquire the billy club nunchuk function. And so on and so forth, until eventually you've regained all your skills and weapons in time for the showdown with Kingpin.

Quote from: riddler on Mon, 17 Jul  2017, 15:37
It doesn't seem like the game was incorporating Daredevils blindness. I like the idea of giving the player a hybrid vision; allow the character to see about 5-10 feet in front of him but once Daredevil gets close enough, the objects appear and remain visible as long as he stays in the room. Objects that make noise become visible immediately once Daredevil is allowed to hear him and things like sonic sounds and bells can distort his senses. I would incorporate the ability for Daredevil to throw hi bow staff at objects as a way of interacting with the enviroment.

Weather effects could create challenging complications too. For example, extreme cold could enhance Matt's ability to detect heat signatures, but could weaken his sense of touch. One major error in the 2003 movie was that they showed rain amplifying Matt's ability to perceive his environment. In the comics rain has the opposite effect – it confuses Matt's radar, limits the range of his perception and makes it harder for him to react to things.

In the movie he uses the sprinkler system in Fisk's office to give himself an advantage. In Daredevil Vol 3 #25 (June 2013), Matt was almost killed fighting Ikari when the sprinkler system in a shop rendered half his senses unusable.

Rain and other weather effects could have a similar impact in the game.

I'm debating among myself whether I think rain should help or hinder him. The sound of raindrops hitting objects could help his sense of sound since he could tell where the raindrops are hitting things other than the ground but it may be distracting. His sense of smell should definitely be warped and maybe even his sense of touch if he's all wet.

It doesn't seem like the game did this but the movie does as does the show and comics; when loud noises distort his senses, he hits things with his stick to get his bearings back. This could be a strategy in the game, using your stick to hit stationary objects for the purpose of investigating surroundings.

I'll reserve judgment until I see the episodes... but some of the bickering in trailer #2 seems a little forced.

Daredevil season 1 trailer:

Daredevil season 2 trailer:

The Defenders season 1 trailer:

The entire first episode was shown at Comic-Con and a number of sites have posted descriptions. One interesting detail (SPOILERS for the opening scene of the first episode): apparently the first episode begins with a flash-forward sequence where Jessica and Iron Fist are fighting their way through a tunnel to rescue the Punisher. It looks like Frank will be a member of the Defenders after all. (END SPOILERS)

Less than four weeks to go. Bring it.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 22 Jul  2017, 11:18
I'll reserve judgment until I see the episodes... but some of the bickering in trailer #2 seems a little forced.

I expect it will be more organic when seen in context. That sort of ribbing/banter is common amongst these guys in the comics. As long as it doesn't dilute the intensity of the action scenes, I'm cool with it.

Although I'm generally a little burned out with the whole hero vs. hero thing, I am stoked to see Matt fight Danny. I get tired of people saying Iron Fist would stomp Daredevil, even though every time they've fought in the comics they've either stalemated or else Matt has got the upper hand. Judging from this trailer, it looks like Matt can hold his own against Danny. Which is how it should be.

Reviews of the first four episodes have been cropping up online. They're mostly positive, though many have been critical of the pacing.

Meanwhile a couple of new clips have been released.

And here are some Comic-Con interviews for anyone who's interested.

One week to go. ;D I think I'll reread Shadowland.