Marvel’s The Defenders (Netflix)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Mon, 11 Apr 2016, 20:19

Previous topic - Next topic
Latino Review is claiming the MCU's TV equivalent of The Avengers will commence filming in late summer of this year:

QuoteWell, we've known for a while that it would be at the tail end of this year, but thanks to one of our sources, we now know that Marvel is looking at this fall -- more specifically a late August-October window -- to bring together all four street-level superheroes. Of course, while Marvel is looking at THE DEFENDERS as a culmination, that by no means means the stories will stop there. Following that series, they're looking to produce a second season of JESSICA JONES, and a third season of DAREDEVIL.
http://www.latino-review.com/news/rumor-when-marvels-the-defenders-will-be-shooting

This gels with something Charlie Cox said at a French press event a few days ago:

Quote"What we do know is at the end of this year we're going to be making The Defenders and, of course, Daredevil is very much a part of that foursome."
http://comicbook.com/marvel/2016/04/11/daredevils-charlie-cox-announces-the-defenders-filming-date/

Filming is well underway on Luke Cage, but they've yet to roll cameras on the first season of Iron Fist. It takes approximately 5½ months to shoot one of these 13 episode Netflix shows. They'll have to start work on Iron Fist very soon if Finn Jones is to be available in time for August.

So the good news is we should definitely be getting The Defenders in early-mid 2017.

The bad news is we probably won't be getting Daredevil season 3 until 2018. :(

The confirmed line-up for The Defenders includes Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist. It's possible Hellcat, the Punisher and Misty Knight will show up too. Based on the ending of Daredevil season 2, I'm guessing SPOILERS the Hand will resurrect Elektra in such a way that fulfils her evil potential as a 'Black Sky', and together they'll be the main villains END SPOILERS. It's looking more and more likely the plot will be based on Shadowland.

Looks awesome. I seriously doubt we'll ever see something like the New Avengers in a movie (branding challenges, if nothing else) so taking the basic New Avengers concept and calling it "the Defenders" make as much sense as anything else.

So on that basis, I'm really looking forward to this bad boy. Sounds awesome!

No official release date yet, but it seems likely it'll be out sometime in the summer. Here's a roundup of pics, both official and unofficial, including a glimpse of Sigourney Weaver as the villain.

To coincide with the release of the series, Marvel's launching a new Defenders comic written by Brian Michael Bendis. And this one will feature the same line-up of heroes as the TV show. I know everyone seems to hate Bendis at present on account of his more recent work (New Avengers, Civil War II, etc). But since I haven't read any of the offending issues, and since I consider his Daredevil Vol 2 run to be the second best in the character's history (narrowly edged out by Miller), I'll certainly be collecting this new title.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat,  4 Feb  2017, 23:42Marvel's launching a new Defenders comic
Awesome! Can't wait!

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat,  4 Feb  2017, 23:42written by Brian Michael Bendis.
Nevermind.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat,  4 Feb  2017, 23:42I know everyone seems to hate Bendis at present on account of his more recent work
Honestly, that really isn't my reason for it. I rather enjoy his older stuff. I was a relative defender of him and his work... until he turned the Marvel Universe into the f**king United Nations because muh equality and muh diversity. After that, F him.

Sun, 5 Feb 2017, 03:37 #5 Last Edit: Sun, 5 Feb 2017, 03:39 by The Dark Knight
F him indeed.

A new teaser's been released:

Notice the numbers in the top right stop at 08:18:20:17. Or put another way: 8/18/2017.

Also note the numbers in the top left: 23.253.120.81. Enter those into the address bar on your browser and it takes you to a New York Bulletin viral site. Text at the bottom of the page confirms The Defenders release date:

QuoteWatch "Marvel's The Defenders" All Episodes Streaming Only on Netflix August 18 | © 2017 MARVEL & ABC Studios

I'm far more hyped for this miniseries than any CBM of 2017. Roll on August 18th.

I'm still working my way through Iron Fist. I love these Netflix shows. Luke Cage bored me to tears so I never finished it. But the others are all awesome. The Defenders looks like it'll be a ton of fun too. I like the idea of doing a companion (or alternative) to the MCU so the Netflix shows are perfect for me.

First pictures of Daredevil in costume on the set of The Defenders!