Sean Young still wants to play Catwoman...

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sat, 9 Apr 2016, 15:32

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: riddler on Thu, 28 Apr  2016, 20:16She also badmouthed Jim Carrey on Ace Ventura, another actor whom his co stars rarely have a bad thing to say of him. Any respect I had for her was lost when I read what she wrote about Candy. I have nothing but respect for that man, while SCTV (basically the Canadian Saturday night live) didn't last for an awful long time, It is highly regarded north of the border and Candy is one of the main reasons for it. Ask any of Catherine o hara, Eugene levy, Rick Moranis, or Dave Thomas what they thought of Candy and you'll hear nothing but high regards. I remember how sad they all were at his funeral.
I adore SCTV.  IMHO, it was far more consistently funny than SNL.  I've watched a few clips online and pretty much every sketch hit its mark.  Along with John Candy, the show made stars out of Catherine O'Hara (a regular Tim Burton collaborator), Eugene Levy, Rick Moranis (for what it's worth, arguably the funniest person in a show full of super-talented people), Dave Thomas (who should and could have been a bigger star had he got the film comedy vehicles he deserved), Joe Flaherty, Martin Short (another regular Burton collaborator), Andrea Martin and the late Harold Ramis.  Many sketches are online, and it's worth seeking out Moranis' spot-on impersonation of Woody Allen, alongside Thomas' almost equally uncanny Bob Hope, as well as well as John Candy as Orson Welles.

Bearing in mind that Canada produced Candy, Moranis, Short, Dan Aykroyd, Michael J. Fox and Jim Carrey, it's definitely fair to say that they've got funny genes north of the border.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Thu, 28 Apr  2016, 20:52
Quote from: riddler on Thu, 28 Apr  2016, 20:16She also badmouthed Jim Carrey on Ace Ventura, another actor whom his co stars rarely have a bad thing to say of him. Any respect I had for her was lost when I read what she wrote about Candy. I have nothing but respect for that man, while SCTV (basically the Canadian Saturday night live) didn't last for an awful long time, It is highly regarded north of the border and Candy is one of the main reasons for it. Ask any of Catherine o hara, Eugene levy, Rick Moranis, or Dave Thomas what they thought of Candy and you'll hear nothing but high regards. I remember how sad they all were at his funeral.
I adore SCTV.  IMHO, it was far more consistently funny than SNL.  I've watched a few clips online and pretty much every sketch hit its mark.  Along with John Candy, the show made stars out of Catherine O'Hara (a regular Tim Burton collaborator), Eugene Levy, Rick Moranis (for what it's worth, arguably the funniest person in a show full of super-talented people), Dave Thomas (who should and could have been a bigger star had he got the film comedy vehicles he deserved), Joe Flaherty, Martin Short (another regular Burton collaborator), Andrea Martin and the late Harold Ramis.  Many sketches are online, and it's worth seeking out Moranis' spot-on impersonation of Woody Allen, alongside Thomas' almost equally uncanny Bob Hope, as well as well as John Candy as Orson Welles.

Bearing in mind that Canada produced Candy, Moranis, Short, Dan Aykroyd, Michael J. Fox and Jim Carrey, it's definitely fair to say that they've got funny genes north of the border.

Sadly the media market in Canada outside of Toronto just isn't that big hence why Canadian movies and shows rarely become overly popular. A lot of the jokers were  Canadian jokes that non-canadians may not understand. Though the Bob and Doug McKenzie skits are fairly famous. I was in Mississippi for a wedding in 2008 and was talking like that "Howz it goin EH? How aboot a brewski?" and I think I convinced them Canadians talk like that.