telltale Batman game

Started by riddler, Wed, 9 Mar 2016, 15:24

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: ObserveCreativeSoul on Mon, 20 Nov  2017, 12:43
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDoG06akcWo

Without delving into any spoilers or anything like that, I must say Ep3 was a little bit underwhelming compared to the previous one, but at least some of the Joker scenes (and Ingruber's performance) were entertaining enough.
I've been playing this and didn't get around to sharing my thoughts.

It's really good.

I appreciate how the game does bold things with characters given its seperate continuity status. This game, probably more so than season one, is about trust. Waller and Gordon are opposed to each other, and Bruce (while undercover) has to deal with the criminal element which draws more suspicion upon him as well. I like what they're doing with John Doe.

Harley is the dominant personality in their relationship. John will break free soon though, and find out who he's really meant to be (which is a key plot point for his arc). I'm looking forward to seeing if John turns on Bruce and throws his prior friendship and goodwill out the window.

Episode three also cemented my love for Bruce/Selina. I chose to play up the romance between them. Inviting her to the bat cave, tipping her off that Gordon was about to arrest her, taking the fall for being a rat at the end, etc. I'm interested to see where this goes.

All in all, it's an enjoyable game to play.

The game was on sale for Xbox, so I picked it up, but haven't played it yet. I think I'm gonna wait till all the episodes are out. Loved the first season, so I hope S2 holds up.

Looks good. My Batman enthusiasm waned for a period of time. But it's coming back. The comics are the source of everything and I'm getting into them again. This series is truly fantastic and it's releasing at the perfect time for me. I'm still the guy drawing Batman logos into snow.

I'm about to start playing S2. I know e4 is about to drop on Tues, so I could start this soon, and wont have to wait too long for e5. I loved S1.

Quote from: Travesty on Sun, 21 Jan  2018, 16:23
I'm about to start playing S2. I know e4 is about to drop on Tues, so I could start this soon, and wont have to wait too long for e5. I loved S1.
If you enjoyed season one you will enjoy season two, no doubt about it. It's the same quality, with some nice twists and turns. There's lots of tension and difficult choices to make, which makes it really engaging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNQOSlp807s

Just finished playing Episode 4. I am really digging Anthony Ingruber's portrayal of the Clown Prince of Crime. Overall, had a blast going through this one and making interesting choices.

I've played the final episode for season two.

This is heavy duty Batman. I'm not in the business of spoiling this game because a lot of the power rests in discovering it all yourself. But I will say the finale doesn't pull any punches in terms of adult themes, violence and emotion. If you're a traditional Batman fan who grew up with these characters you're surely going to be hit hard with the narrative decisions some of them make. And the decisions you yourself make.

I take my hat off (I don't wear a hat, but you get what I mean) to the creators behind these two seasons. The voice actors inhabited their roles perfectly, and the animation style really grew on me. I sincerely hope there's a third season. But if not, they've created something worth celebrating. Make sure you play these games.

I just got done with the last episode, and it was my favorite in S2. That ending came out of nowhere, and I didn't expect them to go in that direction. But I gotta say, I didn't enjoy it as much as I did S1, and I think it was because you played as Bruce Wayne the majority of the time. You rarely played as Batman until the last episode. But overall, S2 was still good, and I like what the writers are doing with these characters. They're taking them in a fresh, yet, completely different direction than anything we've ever seen in any medium(outside of Elseworlds, of course). Overall, it's a great game.

Quote from: Travesty on Sun, 15 Apr  2018, 20:09
I just got done with the last episode, and it was my favorite in S2. That ending came out of nowhere, and I didn't expect them to go in that direction. But I gotta say, I didn't enjoy it as much as I did S1, and I think it was because you played as Bruce Wayne the majority of the time. You rarely played as Batman until the last episode. But overall, S2 was still good, and I like what the writers are doing with these characters. They're taking them in a fresh, yet, completely different direction than anything we've ever seen in any medium(outside of Elseworlds, of course). Overall, it's a great game.
After a run of mediocre animated films, Telltale is keeping the quality of the brand alive.

I like how both seasons develop Selina and John regardless of what decisions you make for them. And that goes for Gordon and Alfred as well. The series understands these particular characters are mainstays and deserve the attention.

Other things I like about the series:

Batman's suit. Simple and classy.
Batman's modulated voice. Disguised and not ridiculous.
The Batmobile converting back and forth into a sports car.
The music - memorable and effective.
The moody visuals and general adult tone.

The best incarnations of Batman put their own stamp on the universe while retaining the common core elements, and Telltale clearly understand this. They're not just honoring the brand, but they're giving something back. Playing it safe usually ends up with a stale product.

The emphasis on Bruce is what really sold me on this, though. The double life aspect could be emphasized more in the films, in my opinion. The Telltale games gave this component a greater sense of tension and burden/duty.

Season Three (if made) could go down a couple interesting directions. John breaking out of Arkham again, with his mood depending on what decisions you made with him. The big one, though, would be the fallout of either letting Alfred leave, or giving up being Batman. Big plot deviations there in terms of choices.

I'd like to see their interpretations of other villains, too, even though they're covered most of the main ones.