A Batman '89 comic-book series

Started by johnnygobbs, Wed, 9 Mar 2016, 04:01

Previous topic - Next topic
I wouldn't rule out something like this happening in the future, but I don't think DC will be commissioning it any time soon. Remember back when Nolan's trilogy was being released and Warner Bros/DC seemed to intentionally downplay the previous adaptations to the point of ignoring them? We've enjoyed a respite from that single-track approach since 2012, what with a renewed emphasis on celebrating the sixties Batman and even some Burton-themed DLC for Batman videogames. But I expect that's going to change with the introduction of the DCEU Batman.

WB/DC cancelled Smallville when Man of Steel went into production (supposedly they'd intended to cancel it when Superman Returns came out, but Bryan Singer intervened), they abandoned the Dick Grayson prequel series at the behest of Nolan, and they've lately cancelled the Batman 66 comic just in time for Batman v Superman. Some of these things may be coincidental, but rumours abound that WB/DC don't want more than one version of each hero in the media spotlight at any one time. They may make an exception in the case of the CW DC shows, but I doubt they'd extend that clemency to older incarnations like Burton's Batman. I'd imagine that for the next few years at least, Batfleck will be the only media incarnation we'll be seeing in the comics.

But I could be wrong. There's certainly no harm in drumming up online support for this and seeing what happens.

So Lee Bermejo posted this on his twitter. Not sure if it means anything, but he dropped this tweet with this pic.

leebermejoart: This guy again.... He keeps following me around. #workinprogress #whatmightthisbe #whatshepullingdownaftertaxes #ifyouraregoingtotakeapictureofmeyouregoingtoneeda longlense

Quote from: Travesty on Wed, 19 Oct  2016, 20:15
So Lee Bermejo posted this on his twitter. Not sure if it means anything, but he dropped this tweet with this pic.

leebermejoart: This guy again.... He keeps following me around. #workinprogress #whatmightthisbe #whatshepullingdownaftertaxes #ifyouraregoingtotakeapictureofmeyouregoingtoneeda longlense

Lee Bermejo revealed the artwork in its entirety on Instagram last week. Unfortunately, it was never drawn for the proposed Batman '89 comic book. It was intended as a Mondo poster, but it never got approved either.

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/B97RrCai7pQ/

It's a great poster. According to Bermejo on his Instagram comment, he seemed to have added the Joker's face inside Batman's cape and on his knees. Quite the optical illusion.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Bermejo is the real deal. Seriously enjoy his stuff. Good find!

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 26 Mar  2020, 13:59
Bermejo is the real deal. Seriously enjoy his stuff. Good find!
He really is. From the modern era, Bermejo and Jim Lee are in a league of their own.

The art below speaks for itself:

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 26 Mar  2020, 13:59
Bermejo is the real deal.

He certainly is. I love his JL film tribute he drew a few years ago.

He even went out of his way to draw this picture as homage to the iconic (yet criminally deleted) shot of Batfleck.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

If Keaton does reprise the role again, in whatever capacity, this comic needs to be greenlit.

Imagine reading the most significant moments in Batman's career that would've taken place post-Returns. Wow.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed, 24 Jun  2020, 11:15
If Keaton does reprise the role again, in whatever capacity, this comic needs to be greenlit.

Imagine reading the most significant moments in Batman's career that would've taken place post-Returns. Wow.

I think an official announcement, and any and all info on every comic issue's subsequent solicitation and release date, would have a lot of us here like these guys.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."