Ghostbusters trailer *Brand New* (2016)

Started by Grissom, Thu, 3 Mar 2016, 14:14

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: riddler on Thu, 25 Aug  2016, 21:10http://movieweb.com/leslie-jones-hack-attack-homeland-security-investigation

Homeland security is getting involved in the Leslie Jones twitter battle. I'm not on twitter but I wasn't aware of racist things Jones herself says. I'm not condoning what she's done but she is bringing this on herself.
My comments to that effect got drowned out in a sea of virtue signalling vanity. Hopefully you'll have better luck.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 26 Aug  2016, 00:23Interesting. This movie made the headlines for all the wrong reasons.
It was never going to be about the box office. Good golly, the movie has grossed $217 million worldwide after 45 days of release. It's still playing in 434 theaters and this, Weekend #7, marks its first sub-$1 million weekend.

Before the movie came out, the egalitarians were praying to mother Gaia or something that this movie would do well because of what it would mean for women in cinema if the movie tanked. Well, the movie has indeed tanked. So here we are.

Meanwhile, Suicide Squad is at $635 million worldwide. It was pronounced a failure if it failed to break $500 million worldwide. Well, here's $635 million. But there aren't very many retractions or mea culpas going on right now.

I'm having the time of my life. The Girlbuster fans' tears are so delicious.

By the way, the post you quoted was not my original message. I edited it. Perhaps I shouldn't have. Because I hate SJW with the intensity of a billion suns. They need to be fought and mocked with every fibre of our being. Girlbusters sucks harder than a cheap and nasty vagrant in a dingy back alley. Let it burn.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 29 Aug  2016, 05:20By the way, the post you quoted was not my original message. I edited it. Perhaps I shouldn't have.
I figured you probably deleted something that was a little too hot for TV. :D

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 29 Aug  2016, 05:20Because I hate SJW with the intensity of a billion suns. They need to be fought and mocked with every fibre of our being. Girlbusters sucks harder than a cheap and nasty vagrant in a dingy back alley. Let it burn.
It crashing and burning as we speak...

Ivan Reitman still insists that more Ghostbusters movies are in development, despite Paul Feig saying he'll never direct another one again.

There's going to be many other class Ghostbusters movies, they're just in development right now.

Source: http://movieweb.com/ghostbusters-movies-in-development/

I'd take it with a grain of salt though. He doesn't go into detail if there were plans for a sequel, or another reboot, or a spin-off. And for all we know, it's probably just spin as ordered by Sony.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu,  2 Jun  2016, 11:04
I saw notorious online film critic Devin Faraci accusing James Rolfe of "unintentionally" having a sexist reaction against the new film. I say notorious, because Faraci has gone on record of making offensive remarks in the past:

"I don't think "Angry Video Game Nerd" knows that he's having a sexist reaction to Ghostbusters. I think a lot of guys online DO know that (or that they don't believe sexism exists, which is even worse), but I don't think "Angry Video Game Nerd" is sitting around stewing over women in Ghostbusters.

And that's why his attitude is maybe the most dangerous. It speaks to the way sexism (and racism and plenty of other isms) kind of lives quietly inside of us, and the way it can impact our beliefs and actions without us even once considering it. But it is truly the only answer for why the Ghostbusters reboot is THIS infuriating to this many men. They may not be consciously aware of it, but their innate sexism is giving a boost to their already-existing dislike of reboots and their disinterest in this new movie."

"Disliking the new Ghostbusters doesn't make you sexist.  But if you're raging about it – if you're angry enough to call a boycott, to make a video drawing a line in the sand – maybe you should consider where all of this anger is coming from."

Source: https://houseofgeekery.com/2016/05/21/the-angry-video-game-nerd-the-new-ghostbusters-and-why-ive-lost-all-respect-for-devin-faraci/

Faraci might've had a point if Rolfe played his Nerd persona in the video, but given he's misinformed... :-[

I mentioned this elsewhere, but I thought post this again: It turns out that Faraci, who suggested people who were passionately against the new Ghostbusters were sexist, was himself accused of sexual misconduct by a woman and was forced to quit his job at Birth.Movies.Death.

***WARNING: These links contains some NSFW language***
http://movieweb.com/devin-faraci-resigns-sexual-assault-allegations/
http://www.themarysue.com/devin-faraci-steps-down/

As I said before, good riddance. One less hypocrite in the world to worry about.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

any predictions on what happens next with the ghostbusters franchise?

A) Have last years entry being the first of a series of ghostbuster team movies with each one taking place in a different city.
B) essentially do the same thing WB did with Superman returns and basically leave it as its own solo outing without building upon it
C) put the franchise to bed on the big screen. I don't see this happening, this disaster wasn't bad enough to kill the franchise especially now that the barrier of pleasing the talent (Bill Murray) is gone

I think we can pretty much rule out a direct sequel to the 2016 film, at best I could see the Melissa McCarthy character show up in future Ghostbuster films if they go the shared universe route or it be included in a Ghostbusters version of the JLA/Avengers.

Quote from: riddler on Sun,  4 Jun  2017, 02:54any predictions on what happens next with the ghostbusters franchise?

A) Have last years entry being the first of a series of ghostbuster team movies with each one taking place in a different city.
B) essentially do the same thing WB did with Superman returns and basically leave it as its own solo outing without building upon it
C) put the franchise to bed on the big screen. I don't see this happening, this disaster wasn't bad enough to kill the franchise especially now that the barrier of pleasing the talent (Bill Murray) is gone

I think we can pretty much rule out a direct sequel to the 2016 film, at best I could see the Melissa McCarthy character show up in future Ghostbuster films if they go the shared universe route or it be included in a Ghostbusters version of the JLA/Avengers.
Well, there's what I want vs. what I expect.

What I want is for a beloved film "franchise" from my childhood to be left alone. Hollywood is supposedly full of the most creative people alive. Isn't it time they prove it?

What I expect is Sony will put the franchise on ice and perhaps do token efforts to keep it in the public mind before attempting another relaunch. By 2020, most people won't remember Girlbusters and it'll be safe to try something new. If we MUST continue this franchise, a change of scene might be interesting. How about a Ghostbusters shop in Europe? Or the American south?

They can play different character types: a tough former cop, a paranoid fringe conspiracy theorist, a down on his luck Mr. Nice Guy who just needs a job, a stuffy (but disgraced) "serious author" looking to get back into the game, a reality TV host looking for The Next Big Thing, someone from a Mythbusters type of show trying to bust the Ghostbusters, an Elon Musk type of wacky inventor who has Big Business ideas for monetizing ghosts in some way or whatever else.

New locales, different types of characters, different types of ghosts, any (or all) of those could do the trick.

Skip the politics and the agendas. Just try to make something funny. The Ghostbusters fanbase might be forgiving of how they were treated last year if they're offered a quality product. Remember, we're marketing a movie here, not storming Omaha Beach.

Sun, 4 Jun 2017, 12:19 #318 Last Edit: Sun, 4 Jun 2017, 12:52 by Silver Nemesis
Ghostbusters is dead. After a short but brave battle against feminism, it passed away peacefully in its sleep surrounded by loved ones. Of course that won't stop Sony from trying to milk its corpse.

Some properties have a limited shelf life. This is especially true of franchises where the lead actors are the main selling point. A good example of this is one of my favourite TV shows, The A-Team. That franchise is over. They could publish some comics, maybe make a video game. But as far as live action film or television goes, it's done. You can't artificially recreate the chemistry and charisma those original four actors shared. They tried in 2010 and it didn't work. Someone will probably buy the rights to The A-Team brand and try reviving it at some point, but that won't work either. There are countless stories about mercenaries. What made The A-Team special was the characters and the actors who played them. The same is true of Ghostbusters. There are lots of other properties about people fighting ghosts, but what made Ghostbusters so beloved was the mythology built around the original four heroes. Sony didn't understand that, which is why they screwed the pooch.

Could they have breathed new life into the franchise with a third movie? Possibly. Though even if they had produced a proper sequel with the original cast, at this point I think it would still have ended up a hollow nostalgia trip rather than a worthy continuation of the series. But it might have worked. They could have made a third film with the emphasis on the original cast while introducing a younger generation of Ghostbusters in supporting roles. Then they could have followed this up with a new animated series focused on the younger characters, and eventually a fourth movie with them in the lead roles. That might have given Ghostbusters a shot in the arm. We waited literally decades for a new film, and when it arrived it turned out to be a horrible bait-and-switch. We all told Sony their approach was misguided. We literally couldn't have stated it more clearly. But they wouldn't listen. And now the franchise is permanently stained by their failure. If the chance to make another film ever does come around, the original cast will be too old to participate. Sony had one shot at getting this right. They failed. I don't think fans will ever trust them again after that.

Commercial American cinema in general has become far too reliant on branding. Instead of giving us original IPs, studios are playing it safe and rehashing familiar franchises that they know have a pre-existing fan base. The result is an endless stream of sequels, reboots, remakes and reimaginings that fail to capture the freshness of the movies they're imitating. Most movies these days are being committee planned by studio execs who use market research and focus groups to make creative decisions. "The fans like A and C, but they dislike B. So let's sell them A and C all over again. They'll love that." The upside of this is that studios are finally listening to what the fans want (with notable exceptions, such as Sony Pictures). The downside is that they're playing it safe and not doing anything new. The proliferation of 'shared universes' is perhaps the biggest symptom of this issue.

Take for instance the new Han Solo movie. I'm a diehard OT Star Wars fan, but even I think this movie is a waste of time and money. Maybe it'll end up being good, but wouldn't it be more exciting if the talent and resources involved were committed to something original? And yes, I know nothing is completely original – everything is influenced by something else – but when I say 'original' I'm referring to original IPs: scripts, books or short stories that have never previously been adapted into live action. I can just imagine the market research analysts over at Disney crafting the film's storyline: "Our focus groups show fans like Han shooting first, so let's reference that." Then there'll be a scene in the movie where Han is caught dead in the sights of a villain. He freezes. There's the sound of a blaster. Han flinches. Then the villain drops dead. Standing behind the villain is a good guy (either a tough female character or a cynical mentor), who says something like, "Next time, shoot first." Fan service delivered. Throw in a cameo by Greedo, some Chewbacca growls and a bloated Kessel Run FX sequence that makes 12 parsecs feel like forty minutes, and it's money in the bank.

That's modern cinema for you. For every inventive high quality sci-fi film like Ex Machina or Arrival there are a dozen generic over-budgeted shlockfests based on tired overused corporate brands. People prefer fast food over home cooked meals. A few interesting facts about Hollywood:

•   Almost 87% of American box office revenue goes back to just six film studios.

•   Of the top fifteen highest grossing movies of the eighties, only three haven't received a sequel, prequel or remake: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/hollywood-loves-the-1980s-as-much-as-it-loves-franchises-and-remakes-2017-05-26

What we've basically got here is an oligopoly selling us the same stuff over and over again, where the competition is as limited as the imagination. The battle between Hollywood studios is the battle between McDonald's, Burger King and Pizza Hutt. Ghostbusters was a casualty of that war. There are still plenty of wonderful inventive movies being made each year. But they tend to be either small films based on original IPs or else movies made outside of Hollywood. Hollywood itself is in a bad way, and the recent drop in box office shows audiences are getting wise to this.

I'd get beaten up by the militant SJWs for what I'm about to say, but as you guys know, I am certainly not from the political right.  Although I am a liberal, for the most part I try to stay apolitical.  What I do object to, whether it arises from a liberal or conservative source, is lack of common-sense and logic.

So, anyway, I find it ironic and quite laughable that last year so-called 'liberals' were attacking men for refusing to watch a blatant POS movie like Ghostbusters 2016 on the basis they were 'sexists' (never mind that irrespective of whether the lead characters were male, female, transgender, or something else entirely, the film looked like a mirthless travesty), yet know we do have a feminist movie featuring a strong female lead, that many men want to go see and champion, certain cinemas are now restricting them from seeing Wonder Woman thanks to 'all female' screenings. ::)

Look, I don't particularly object to all-female screenings in practice.  It's a drop in the ocean as far as the thousands of theatres that will be screening this likely blockbuster, many of them with multiple screens in 2D or 3D.  But it does expose the absurdity of certain SJW thinking, where the usual suspects complain if men are choosing not to see a female-led action/adventure movie (that looks crap), and then proceed to stop them from showing up when they do want to see a female-led action/adventure movie (that looks awesome).  Don't they see the inconsistency of their behaviour?

Anyway, like I said, this is not really a liberal/conservative thing for me.  There are utter irrational and extremist morons on all sides of the political spectrum, but on this instance it is the so-called left and so-called feminists who are behaving like jackasses.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.