DC Comics 'Rebirth' Event 2016

Started by Silver Nemesis, Fri, 26 Feb 2016, 19:53

Previous topic - Next topic

I like that they're returning to the original numbering system for Action Comics and Detective Comics, but this still has the faint whiff of post-New 52 damage control about it. Would they be better off simply reverting to the pre-Flashpoint universe or doing a proper hard reboot? Will renumbering their titles to #1 make this any less alienating for casual readers? Didn't we have a discussion very similar to this just a few years ago regarding the DC 'band aid' project? ???

Well, this going to be a huge shock ***SPOILERS underneath in white***:

It looks like Doctor Manhattan is responsible for creating the DC Universe, and Watchmen is officially canon. And it turns out there were three Jokers running around in Gotham City.

Link below contains leaks to the spoilers above.

Source: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/05/20/warning-dc-universe-rebirth-1-spoilers-leak-on-reddit-and-you-wont-believe-dc-comics-has-gone-there/
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

And the point of this is....?

I mean, if they restarted in 2011 (which are almost all I've read) what's the point? That question is two fold, whats the point in them restarting and what's the point in fans getting interested if in just a few years DC is going to turn around and say "Oop, we're starting over, so forget all that?"

I love DC, but yeah. They changed the logo again too. Good thing I don't necessarily pay attention to continuity that much. I just care if something is a good story with good art.

I can't decide if I like the logo or not.

Quote from: Catwoman on Tue, 24 May  2016, 05:58
It's ok. But ultimately it's a regression. The bullet logo can't be beat.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 24 May  2016, 07:34
Quote from: Catwoman on Tue, 24 May  2016, 05:58
It's ok. But ultimately it's a regression. The bullet logo can't be beat.

I agree. Nonetheless, I still prefer this new logo instead of the last one. The new one is reminiscent to another that existed before the bullet logo (second row on the right in the picture below).

Quote from: Catwoman on Tue, 24 May  2016, 02:27
And the point of this is....?

The only New 52 material I've been exposed were the animated movies i.e. Justice League: War, Throne of Atlantis, and the three Batman films co-starring Damian Wayne, the annoying know-it-all brat. I've heard that apart from Aquaman, the quality of comics by DC from 2011-present have been getting a lousy reputation. Though I'm sure there must be something good about them if you've read the Harley Quinn and Catwoman comics. But personally, I prefer to read retro comics, specifically the Bronze Age and early 1990s comics nowadays.

Some of the redesigns of Superman and ESPECIALLY Wonder Woman seem inspired by the costumes in the recent DC movies.

Even the Joker's design looks loosely based on Jared Leto, minus the amount of tattoos.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Wed, 1 Feb 2017, 03:19 #8 Last Edit: Wed, 1 Feb 2017, 03:21 by The Dark Knight
Ultimately, after Morrison and Snyder, Batman Rebirth had huge shoes to fill. And so far, they haven't been filled adequately. Batman Rebirth is a letdown. Which is incredibly frustrating because the concepts it introduces are really good. Gotham themed superheroes who arrive one day, and Batman decides to help them out. Great idea. But they don't do anything interesting with it. Batman assembling a team to infiltrate Bane's Santa Prisca to rescue somebody is a fantastic concept. But the execution is confusing, sloppy and comes off as try hard cool. It makes for one of the worst Batman plot lines I've read, which is really bizarre to type. Such a plot line should write itself.

After reading a paperback copy of DC Universe: Rebirth, I was curious and decided to check out Batman/The Flash: The Button today. I know I'm behind of what's going on in the Doomsday Clock saga, nor have I actually explored deeper into Rebirth Batman yet other than the first issue, but I wanted to see how it progresses when it was revealed Doctor Manhattan appeared to have created the DC Universe. SPOILERS underneath.

This storyline has a lot of shocks, but conveniently doesn't give any answers, which must be leading up to Doomsday Clock. It's strange that Eobard Thawne is brought back to life to steal the Comedian's bloodied Smiley button from Batman, but then he is quickly killed off again after he witnesses "God". As Batman and Flash embark on a journey through the Speed Force via the Cosmic Treadmill, I was shocked they ended up in the Flashpoint universe, where the Atlanteans and Amazons were sent to assassinate the Thomas Wayne Batman in his home. What's revealing is as Bruce tells Thomas that he has a grandson and pleads his dad to come with him to his world, Thomas refuses and gives Bruce the comforting thought of how he is proud him. Even more so surprising is he pleads Bruce to stop being Batman, and encourages him to embrace a life of happiness and fulfill the role as Damian's father that Thomas couldn't be for his son. As Bruce and Barry leave and the Flashpoint world disintegrates, the sentimental memory of Thomas rescuing a very young Bruce after his fateful fall in the cave enables him to run towards the light, possibly hinting that we might not have seen the last of him quite yet. And yes, for those who are ahead of me, you'd probably know the answer to that, but I don't want to be spoiled.

The story is definitely building up to a mystery over why Doctor Manhattan is interfering the DC Universe and creating the paradoxes all over the multiverse. And for all I know, Doomsday Clock will probably result in an unsatisfying, convoluted outcome that leaves behind more questions. But for what it's worth, I do like the final exchange between Thomas and Bruce, and it's understandable why he wouldn't want his son to follow his footsteps as Batman. Thomas becoming Batman had lead him towards a dark path towards vengeance, but he knows Bruce has a much stronger moral resolve and compassion. Knocking the gun out of his father's hand with a Batarang when about to be attacked by the Atlanteans and Amazons was a perfect contrast between the two's choice of combat.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into this, but I wouldn't be surprised if Thomas wanted the legend of Batman to die with him because he feared it would only be a matter of time before Bruce himself finds himself stuck in that vengeful path if he were to continue his duties, as being Batman naturally brings the worst out of people. In my opinion, it's a very sympathetic and touching fatherly moment. It's unlikely that Bruce would ever fulfill his father's wish as we know DC won't let it happen. But I'll be intrigued to see how he'll wrestle with this inner conflict. The silent, confused lack of reaction to the Batsignal towards the end definitely hints this isn't something that's going to be forgotten any time soon.

Special mention for Jay Garrick. Great little return there, and what better to reintroduce him to save Barry and Bruce from getting lost in the Speed Force.

One final note: Jason Fabok's art is top class.