Marvel’s Iron Fist (Netflix)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Fri, 26 Feb 2016, 00:20

Previous topic - Next topic
I love both seasons of Daredevil and also Jessica Jones.

I gave up on Luke Cage pretty early on because I just didn't give a crap.

But Iron Fist was greatly enjoyable for me. I chalk this up at least somewhat to my overall lack of attachment to Iron Fist in general.

I was fairly invested in goings on with the Meachams, Danny himself and whatsername's struggles to free herself from the Hand.

Way too much has been said about Finn Jones that's really out of line if you ask me. It's ridiculous what he's been subjected to. I enjoyed him in the role and his martial arts moves are why I think he was cast in spite of not being totally right physically. He can act well and his moves look elegant and properly balanced.

If you want to see martial arts moves done poorly, watch basically any episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, where Sarah Michelle Hottie and her stunt double both looked awkward, unbalanced and weak Say whatever you want about Jones but he (and his stunt double) don't have that problem. That counts for a lot with me.

I enjoyed Iron Fist and want a second season of it.

I was nervous going into Daredevil because I've got some attachment to that character. I was less nervous about Jessica Jones but even there I was a bit leery. But Iron Fist, perhaps because of my lack of expectations for it and utter disregard for Luke Cage, was a home run for me.

While it's not the worst thing ever as critics suggested, and the whole reaction towards Finn Jones is nothing but SJW nonsense, I thought the show was a cliche that wasn't that borrowed ideas from the first season of Arrow and Daredevil, but not as good. It was okay at best, but it's definitely the worst of the Netflix shows to date. Even though I wasn't too keen on Jessica Jones because I didn't find the lead character to be that sympathetic, I can't deny that show was superior to this. Plus, David Tennant's turn as Kilgrave was excellent.

I'm currently watching Luke Cage now. I think that's a much better show. I don't normally enjoy superhero fiction on screen treated as a crime drama, but this show does it tastefully well. Although I'm only four episodes in.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I forgot to mention: the fight between Danny Rand and a drunken guard for the Hand has gotten to be the funniest thing I've seen in a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCm645IJOYA

Far more amusing and creative than anything I saw in that atrocious Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Well, I finished watching Luke Cage. Verdict: Half-good, half-kinda bad.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat,  6 May  2017, 17:11

Maybe just as well, I think you would've hated how it ended. As cliched Iron Fist's finale was, it didn't exactly leave me hollow as Luke Cage's finale did.

Overall I'd rank Daredevil as the best, following Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist. Exactly how each show subsequently debuted.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat, 20 May  2017, 15:06
Well, I finished watching Luke Cage. Verdict: Half-good, half-kinda bad.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat,  6 May  2017, 17:11

Maybe just as well, I think you would've hated how it ended. As cliched Iron Fist's finale was, it didn't exactly leave me hollow as Luke Cage's finale did.

Overall I'd rank Daredevil as the best, following Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist. Exactly how each show subsequently debuted.

That's exactly how I'd rank them too. Hopefully the trend reverses for the Defenders. I thought the best episode of Luke Cage was the second last. I know the last episode ties up some loose ends and likely introduces some future plot points but the real battle royale was the hostage situation at the theatre. The reason why I feel Luke Cage was stronger than Iron Fist was a second villain as well as a stronger lead.

Sat, 22 Jul 2017, 12:27 #15 Last Edit: Sat, 22 Jul 2017, 19:50 by Silver Nemesis
Season 2 confirmed: http://www.cbr.com/netflix-iron-fist-season-2/

Misty Knight will be making an appearance. And based on Finn Jones' recent comments, it sounds like Danny might finally get his costume after The Defenders:

"The thing with all of these shows is not that we're shy to bring the costumes," Jones says. "It's that we want them to feel authentic when it does happen. Danny's on this journey to understanding what his responsibility is. And throughout all of [Iron Fist] season 1, he was in no state of mind to put a suit on. That would've been ridiculous because he was not fully accomplished as the Iron Fist yet and he certainly didn't have the right or the responsibility to be putting on a superhero costume. He needs to work his sh*t out. And certainly by the end of The Defenders, it will feel right."
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/the-defenders/266495/the-defenders-will-complete-iron-fist-origin-story

EDIT: Raven Metzner is confirmed to be replacing Scott Buck as showrunner on season 2: https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/marvel/iron_fist/iron-fist-sets-sleepy-hollow-and-falling-skies-raven-metzner-as-showrunner-for-season-2-a152725

Finn Jones says they're going to start filming season 2 in about four or five months:

Quote"Now, just gonna let you know, moving into Season 2 of Iron Fist, I'm actually starting my training next week," the actor confirmed in a recent interview. "We're at least four or five months away from shooting, so this time around, I'm being given a lot more preparation leading up to Season 2, which I think is really gonna have a huge improvement on the quality of the fight scenes in Iron Fist."
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/marvel/iron_fist/the-defenders-star-finn-jones-reveals-when-iron-fist-season-2-starts-shooting-and-promises-better-fight-scenes-a153425

I expect s2 is going to be a significant step up over the first. I know I said s1 would be great as well, but... we'll just pretend I didn't say that. We already saw a marked improvement in Danny during The Defenders and IF s2 has several other factors in its favour.

One of the biggest problems with the first season was Scott Buck's approach deemphasising the mystical kung-fu aspect and overemphasising the boardroom bickering side of things. But now Buck is busy working on The Inhumans and Raven Metzner is taking over as showrunner. I'm expecting significant changes.

Finn Jones has effectively stated Danny will get his costume in s2. It keeps getting brought up in every interview and you can feel the guy's frustration on the issue.

Quote"It will. And look, I'm not the writer for this show, nor am I the executive producer. So unfortunately these things don't fall on my head. But from an actor's distinct perspective, I certainly think that will happen within, hopefully, Season Two [...] And I certainly think, moving forward into season two, that superhero outfit would be something that Danny Rand finds extremely alluring, and cool, and after seeing Daredevil in his getup, I definitely think he may be persuaded to find one himself. What it looks like, who knows? I'd like to see a mashup of all of the kind of outfits."
http://www.cbr.com/defenders-finn-jones-iron-fist-interview/2/

At the 0:54 mark:

With all the backlash, I don't think they can put it off any longer. SPOILERS FOR THE DEFENDERS And with Iron Fist taking over from Matt as the protector of New York, now is the perfect time for him to follow Daredevil's example and don a mask. END SPOILERS The costume will allow better use of stunt doubles, which should mean improved fight scenes.

We're also going to have Misty Knight and Colleen Wing as the Daughters of the Dragon, and Misty SPOILERS FOR THE DEFENDERS will have her bionic arm. END SPOILERS So that should be cool. While I'm a little tired of heroes crossing over in movies, I don't have a problem with Luke showing up in IF. A TV show allows more time for that sort of thing, and it would be a tad strange if these guys didn't meet up considering they live in the same city.

S2 should have a better story and a stronger villain than the first season. Ideally they could bring back Davos as the Steel Serpent. He could blame Danny for the extermination of K'un-Lun and come after him seeking revenge. SPOILERS FOR THE DEFENDERS There are several members of the Hand still at large, including Elektra and the two surviving 'fingers', Madame Gao and Murakami (assuming they weren't killed when Midland Circle collapsed). They could put in an appearance as well. It's also been said IF s2 will expand upon the storyline about the dragon bones beneath New York. END SPOILERS So there's plenty of material there for interesting stories.

It should be good. Should.

Some new information from yesterday's Comic-Con panel.

Season 2 is getting a late summer release of September 7th. So less than two months to go.

Alice Eve is playing Typhoid Mary. They showed a scene of Typhoid fighting Colleen Wing and Misty Knight.

There will be more flashback scenes taking place in K'un-Lun.

One of the clips screened for the press showed both Danny and Davos wearing their masks from the comics. Here's a leaked picture of Davos wearing his.

The plot concerns Danny trying to fill the gap left by Daredevil as the protector of New York.

The editing and fight choreography during the action scenes is said to be vastly improved over season 1.

Here's a teaser:

Here's our first official pic of Alice Eve as Mary Walker.

She's got her twin blades alright, but she absolutely 100% has to have her signature makeup. This is nonnegotiable.

It wouldn't look unrealistic and it wouldn't be too expensive, so there's no excuse not to include it. And she needs to display her pyrokinetic, telekinetic and telepathic abilities. Typhoid has one of the most complex psychological profiles of any comic book supervillain. Two-Face only has two personalities; Typhoid's got four! They have to get that right.

The first season of Iron Fist was notorious for watering down the source material, but I won't tolerate that when it comes to Typhoid. If you're going to steal one of Daredevil's top foes, you have to at least portray her accurately. I don't know how they're going to handle her back story though, since in the comics it was Matt who caused Mary to become Typhoid after he accidentally knocked her out of a window.

Moving on, here's a picture of Danny wearing a mask. Just not the mask fans were hoping for.

Descriptions of the Comic-Con footage report he does wear his classic comic book mask during one fight scene, but supposedly it's just a flashback to K'un-Lun and he doesn't wear it throughout the rest of the season. I'm still holding out hope he'll get his costume, even if it's just in the final episode. I can't believe they'd take the character through two full seasons of his own series, one season of The Defenders, plus a guest appearance in Luke Cage season 2, and still not give him his costume. They must know this is a major sore point amongst fans.

Your earlier comment about the outfit and stunt doubles got me thinking. And then...

... when I saw that, I was about to jokingly post "Worst! Stunt double! Ever! Look, you can see his beard and everything!"

Yeah. The costume. Honestly, I was always prepared to look the other way on that. The outfit that's most well known from his comics is... well, it looks strange, put it that way. So if the move for IF was to eschew the costume entirely, I would've been willing to go along with that.

I do wonder that Finn Jones doesn't regret taking this part sometimes though. The insane reaction to season 1 is probably the exactly opposite of what he needed heading into Defenders. And now all this costume stuff people keep dumping on him... I mean, people, he's not Tom Welling, he's willing to do it. But it's not really his call.

Ugh.

Fans...