How Many Times Batman and Superman Have Fought...

Started by BatmAngelus, Sun, 7 Feb 2016, 22:20

Previous topic - Next topic

This guy went through all of the comics and media where Batman and Superman have fought and had a relatively fair criteria of determining who won and when.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Batman is always going to be on the back foot in these encounters, as he should be.

It's a man going up against a flying cheat code.

The Brave and the Bold cartoon had one of my favourite encounters. Batman is outhorsepowered and eventually beaten with his head just about to be crushed, but he never, ever gives up. I found it really inspirational.

It's got to be a major pain in the neck to write scenes like that because "realistically" the "fight" only lasts five seconds if Bruce tries to run away. But the certitude of that is what makes it dramatic if Batman somehow wins. But he can't win because he's up against someone who can shoot fire out of his freaking eyes. But if that's easy, there's no sense in even having the fight. Except the fight's so much more dramatic and surprising (in a way) if the guy with no powers wins. But, again, fire. FROM HIS EYES. Etc etc etc.

It looks like BvS is taking this silly, non-starter concept and making something out of it. For that I'm grateful.

Also, about that Brave and the Bold fight, I like the message it sends.

Against anyone else, Batman would have the fight in a few seconds. But Superman is a totally different prospect.

Batman fires his rocket, but Superman catches it in his hands. It explodes to no effect. Superman rips the gauntlet off Batman's arm and proceeds to pummel Batman against buildings and into the pavement. That's how a Superman encounter, with him fully powered and pissed off, would play out.

But what I love is that it shows in terms of martial arts moves, Batman is clearly superior. He does a manoeuvre which sends Superman to the ground, by wrapping his legs around his neck. Batman then plants three remote mines on Superman's chest, to Superman's ignorance, but of course they explode to no effect. Batman then lays three iconic comic book panel punches and is pretty much exhausted. But he never gave up.

Superman then once again proceeds to punch Batman down with sheer power. So indeed, in terms of power, god given from our sun, Supes is always going to be the winner. There's nothing Batman can do abiut that.

But remember, this is all happening against a fully powered Superman. In BvS, I suspect Superman has been depowered ala the Red Son encounter. Which could result in a serious smackdown, especially considering the heavy armour suit Batman is wearing. Superman being depowered is really the only way you can present Batman winning a physical encounter. Because otherwise, Superman winning is boring and expected.