Best Batman Themes...That Weren't Written for Batman

Started by BatmAngelus, Fri, 5 Feb 2016, 19:55

Previous topic - Next topic
For my film score enthusiasts- ever heard a score from a completely unrelated movie and thought that it would've made a good Batman theme?

A few of mine. I guess you could say I like my Batman themes to be loud, dark, and heroic:

The theme in the first 35 seconds of Alan Silvestri's track for Van Helsing

The theme from 0:40-1:17 of Junkie XL's Mad Max Fury Road score. Was honestly hoping his Batman theme for BvS would be something similar.

And of course Jerry Goldsmith's theme for The Shadow. Zimmer's Molossus theme for Batman Begins feels like a similar, more generic version of it.

Feel free to include themes from other movies that you think would fit other characters (i.e. Joker, Robin, etc.).
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Back in the day I had thought Goldenthal's Interview with the Vampire was more suited to Batman than the music he did write. Especially "Escape to Paris"

The track Vampire Hunters from Bram Stoker's Dracula seems to have been mimicked a bit in the first half of this featurette from Justice League New Frontier:

The original track by Wojciech Kilar:

A friend of mine thought this cue from Watchmen (Tyler Bates) was reminiscent of Batman in the Batcave:
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

....A score thread where almost every score mentioned is among my favourites. I'm tempted...

Agree about the themes from Van Helsing and especially Mad Max, and as for the Shadow, I always thought that it was basically Goldsmith's Batman. "Hotel Monolith" especially.

Also, agree about Interview, I always thought that parts of it (like Escape to Paris, but Born to Darkness too) sounded like what Goldenthal would do for a "serious" Batman movie.

Wed, 24 Feb 2016, 00:00 #5 Last Edit: Tue, 23 Jan 2018, 18:34 by Silver Nemesis
How about this as a theme for a more intimidating incarnation of Batman?

And Harry Robertson's title theme for the 1971 Peter Cushing movie Twins of Evil would make a great Justice League theme.

Oh...

You know who also would've made a good Batman theme? Bernard Herrmann...

Wait...

Wed, 24 Feb 2016, 04:03 #7 Last Edit: Wed, 24 Feb 2016, 04:13 by THE BAT-MAN
I love the idea of this topic because I'm a huge filmscore fan and collector.  Here are some theme's that hasn't been mentioned yet. I also agree that Bernard Herrmann would be an excellent choice because his style of music was a big influence on the overall sound for both batman and the animated series.  I will give more examples of great non related Batmanesque scores/themes, but for now enjoy.

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Wed, 24 Feb  2016, 00:21
You know who also would've made a good Batman theme? Bernard Herrmann...

Wait...

:D Lol. Well if you're going to take cues from another composer, you may as well take them from the best.

On the heels of JK Simmons getting cast as the new Gordon, does anyone else associate film noir themes with Commissioner Gordon?