Fighting skills comparison

Started by Catbat, Tue, 5 Jan 2016, 10:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Is Catwoman a better fighter than Batman?

Yes, and by far
Yes, slightly superior
They're roughly equal
No, slightly inferior
Hi, it may be interesting to see what you think of Catwoman's fighting skills compared to Batman's so... enjoy!

Feel free to support your choice with every explanation you want, just please don't argue like it happened in the last thread I started: although this community is very nice and creative, in all honesty it was really sad and quite discouraging to witness that...  :(

Have a nice day!  ;D

I'd say regardless how tight and uncomfortable it might have been to wear the costume, Catwoman still had plenty of agility compared to Batman, whose armor in this movie stiffened his movements a little bit.

You might say that Burton used Selina's sudden physical agility to emphasize on the cat motif, together with her nine lives.

In terms of distinguishing the fighting approach to each other, Catwoman is more direct and influenced by a bit of misandry, as you can tell by the way she taunts her male enemies. Batman relies on counter-attacks during brawls and tricking goons i.e. the grapple gun takedown of the taser clown in the beginning, and placing the bomb inside the Strongman's pants to take him by surprise.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Tue,  5 Jan  2016, 13:42
I'd say regardless how tight and uncomfortable it might have been to wear the costume, Catwoman still had plenty of agility compared to Batman, whose armor in this movie stiffened his movements a little bit.

Can't agree more on this. Catwoman relies on her extreme agility, Batman on the relative protection offered by the batsuit that, in the worst case scenario, allows him to withstand harder blows before counter-attacking.

In terms of distinguishing the fighting approach to each other, Catwoman is more direct and influenced by a bit of misandry, as you can tell by the way she taunts her male enemies. Batman relies on counter-attacks during brawls and tricking goons i.e. the grapple gun takedown of the taser clown in the beginning, and placing the bomb inside the Strongman's pants to take him by surprise.

Yes. Catwoman too tricks Batman a few times and, generally speaking, has a more ambiguous approach to fighting i.e. when she suddenly tried to seduce him towards the end of their first confrontation. In comparison, Batman has a more tactical mind when it comes to getting the upper hand in a fight (the taser clown is a perfect example of that) - in the end, I guess Catwoman is the only one really able to obfuscate his lucidity in battle.

You might say that Burton used Selina's sudden physical agility to emphasize on the cat motif, together with her nine lives.

You basically said what I was going to say. Boo. *sticks tongue out at you* lol

In terms of actual hand to hand fighting, yes her agility is the advantage. It's like boxing I guess. A lighter weight fighter will have an advantage over the heavy weight because of his or her speed but they damn sure better not let the heavy weight get a hold of them or it could get ugly lol. Batman's fighting goes beyond just the hand to hand stuff. Strategizing and predicting moves ahead of time and countering are big for them. He uses his brain as much as his body which in the long run would give him the advantage at least against male opponents (female unpredictability FTW ;) ).

Quote from: Catwoman on Tue,  5 Jan  2016, 14:31
You basically said what I was going to say. Boo. *sticks tongue out at you* lol

Sorry to steal the limelight.  :-[ ;)

In terms of actual hand to hand fighting, yes her agility is the advantage. It's like boxing I guess. A lighter weight fighter will have an advantage over the heavy weight because of his or her speed but they damn sure better not let the heavy weight get a hold of them or it could get ugly lol.

Good analogy. And as Catbat mentioned, Catwoman overcomes whatever strength and armor Batman has by using her own sneaky tactics to exploit him his weaknesses. In this case, it's seduction.

Batman's fighting goes beyond just the hand to hand stuff. Strategizing and predicting moves ahead of time and countering are big for them. He uses his brain as much as his body which in the long run would give him the advantage at least against male opponents (female unpredictability FTW ;) ).

For all the criticism that Batman gets in this movie for being "ineffective" and "allowing" the Red Triangle Gang to terrorize Gotham City for so long and falling into the Penguin's trap, he shows moments of being one step ahead of the villains.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed,  6 Jan  2016, 10:30

Good analogy. And as Catbat mentioned, Catwoman overcomes whatever strength and armor Batman has by using her own sneaky tactics to exploit him his weaknesses. In this case, it's seduction.

Catwoman's seductive skills give her a significant advantage mainly because they confuse the opponent and grant her the first unexpected strike, most notably when she pretended to be erotically attracted to Batman's costumed identity. However, despite the distraction of the hot situation Catwoman had created and the fact that she severely scratched his flank, Batman was able to mount an admirable counter attack by backslapping her off the ledge.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed,  6 Jan  2016, 10:30
For all the criticism that Batman gets in this movie for being "ineffective" and "allowing" the Red Triangle Gang to terrorize Gotham City for so long and falling into the Penguin's trap, he shows moments of being one step ahead of the villains.

Totally agree on this. In addition, it must be taken into account that Batman fights alone against several enemies who cooperate against him, so his presumed "ineffectiveness" is simply his human limited capability to battle them all simultaneously before they can harm anybody. As a proof of that, just remember what happens when Catwoman allies with the Penguin's Circus Gang. Batman first has to fight with the Cat, then he gets shot by the police who serves him again to Catwoman weakened and hurt, thus allowing her to easily overpower and stab him a second time. When he finally manages to leave, he has to deal with a sabotaged batmobile that breaks havoc in Gotham - a situation he barely remedies at the last second. It's basically too much to handle even for him.