Christmas with the Joker

Started by The Laughing Fish, Mon, 21 Dec 2015, 10:44

Previous topic - Next topic
This was the second episode I ever watched in the whole series, the first being the one where Jervis Tetch becomes Mad Hatter and kidnaps his fellow co-worker Alice.

Did anyone else thought that "Jingle Bells, Batman Smells" came from this episode?  :-[

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Veju4PxhuGc

My favourite moment from this episode was Robin mentioning how he looked forward to watching "It's a Wonderful Life" on TV and Batman said "I've never seen that. I could never get past the title". Very grim...reminds me of myself.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I liked this episode. Especially the Dynamic Duo and their civilian identites and the Joker's hostage scenes. Great reminder.

Really one of my favorite episodes.

i remember having this on VHS when i was young along with "The Laughing Fish"
Ohhhh, that looks like fun! Lemme try! *Lemme try!* Ball up the fist, reach way back, and assert your... OW!!

Quote from: galenj01 on Sat,  5 Mar  2016, 13:05
i remember having this on VHS when i was young along with "The Laughing Fish"

:o :o :o :o

TLF has a tape?!

Scandalous.....

:P

I loved this show too though. It's one of my favorite stories of the whole series and it was so intense at parts too. Like I watched it for the first time in YEARS over last Christmas season and I was on the edge of my seat like "Wow how in the world are B&R going to save the day?" That happens a lot when I rewatch it. Same with the TV show only the  eventual day saving in BTAS is usually a little more believable lol.

this is the one i had:

Ohhhh, that looks like fun! Lemme try! *Lemme try!* Ball up the fist, reach way back, and assert your... OW!!

I know. I was being a brat.

I like "Christmas with the Joker", but it's honestly one of those episodes I don't have a ton of nostalgia for. The reason for that has nothing to do with the episode's quality or anything, but more with the fact that it was one of those episodes that, I assume because of it being holiday-themed, FOX rarely ever re-aired during Batman TAS' initial run.

Like alot of tv shows during the VHS era, you either took a chance in crossing your fingers and hoping for a official VHS release of particular episodes, or you bought some blank VHS tapes, and recorded the episodes yourself with your VCR. I often chose the latter, ALOT, and despite having quite a few episodes recorded on tape, I don't believe "Christmas with the Joker" was one of them. Which is unfortunate. I kinda rediscovered it when it was apart of the Volume 1 DVD set of Batman TAS, which was great, but it's just not one of those episodes I visited over and over and remember like, "Joker's Favor", "Joker's Wild", "The Laghing Fish", "To be a Clown", ect.

I'm sure there were other episodes that rarely appeared as reruns, but being a Joker fan, and a fan of the series itself, this one not having alot of playtime was more noticeable than others.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Mon, 29 Aug  2016, 04:09Like alot of tv shows during the VHS era, you either took a chance in crossing your fingers and hoping for a official VHS release of particular episodes, or you bought some blank VHS tapes, and recorded the episodes yourself with your VCR. I often chose the latter, ALOT, and despite having quite a few episodes recorded on tape, I don't believe "Christmas with the Joker" was one of them.
I'm pretty sure I recorded the first twenty or so as they first aired, one of which was obviously CWTJ. It's weird, I enjoyed this episode as a kid because I was a big fan of the BTAS versions of Robin and the Joker and they're well represented in this episode. Other than those characters, I could've taken or left CWTJ. But as I get older, the Christmas junkie in me just appreciates having another Christmas story starring Batman.

Mmm, Christmas...