Did Batman deserve some punishment?

Started by Catbat, Mon, 7 Dec 2015, 14:23

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Wayne49 on Mon,  8 Feb  2016, 19:48
That was an excellent analysis of character motivation Catbat. Always enjoy reading your posts! Very insightful.

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it!

Wed, 10 Feb 2016, 07:55 #51 Last Edit: Wed, 10 Feb 2016, 08:07 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: Catbat on Fri,  5 Feb  2016, 22:02
My feeling is that the depressing mood is mainly conveyed by the inability of each character to get free from the burden of the crimes that created them - actually, they all end up replicating the same injustices.

Batman witnessed the murder of his parents and now remorselessly kills (sometimes he even enjoys the act itself, like when he set the bomb on the big clown).

The Penguin is obsessed with having been rejected and abandoned by his parents and seeks recognition and acceptance by the community via criminal ways - when his plan fails, he devises a plan to kill the firstborns of Gotham to make the whole city experience the same suffering.

Selina endured gender degradation in the workplace and was killed when she discovered something evil her boss had planned. Her alter ego Catwoman then proceeded to break havoc in the city and to play a crucial role in the death of the Ice Princess, who not by chance died from falling from a building just like Selina.

Even more, Catwoman unleashed her rage mainly on Batman (as a symbol of patriarchal authority) by punishing him physically during their fights and frustrating him sexually at the end of each encounter (her attempts to seduce Batman were highly erotic in tone but ultimately aimed at inflicting him pain).
Good analysis.

I really like your connection to the Ice Princess falling, like Selina did. Selina didn't want to kill the Ice Princess, just scare her. But regardless, she was a part of the scheme. Selina 'died' as an innocent, deer in headlights, just like the Ice Princess. But unlike the Princess, Selina had the opportunity to be reborn and exact revenge.