Captain America: Civil War

Started by The Laughing Fish, Sat, 5 Dec 2015, 00:32

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Mon, 16 May  2016, 19:41
It would've been a massacre. :( WB did the smart thing by moving.
Arguably the only smart thing they've done of late.  :-X
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I think enough time's passed now for the two Civil War threads to be merged.

Fri, 2 Dec 2016, 11:50 #103 Last Edit: Sat, 3 Dec 2016, 04:23 by The Laughing Fish
I watched Civil War again for the first time since I saw it at the cinema.

There are three things that are bugging me:

• Scarlet Witch - Her arc is unfinished. She feels guilty for accidentally causing the deaths of bystanders while saving Cap from Crossbones back in Lagos, and she spends the rest of the film under Vision's supervision (no pun intended) as ordered by Tony. And then she joins Cap's team, and that's it. It feels rather cheap. Will the Scarlet Witch get the chance to "redeem" herself in the eyes of the distrusting public? Who knows.
  • Spider-Man - Despite what I said earlier about helping Peter Parker might've been Tony's way of channeling his guilt over the secretary's dead son in Sokovia, I still feel Spidey's role in this film is unnecessary. In fact, his scene where he first met Stark really does feel out of place with the rest of the film, which for the most part is quite serious. I don't normally agree with the criticism that Marvel overuses humour to its own detriment, but to be honest, this is the first film in the MCU where I thought some critics have a point. The Winter Soldier was much more consistent in its tone.
  • The ending - I think I've already mentioned this in this thread, but I'm still not clear if Cap's letter to Tony in the end meant their dispute has been restored completely, or if the tension is still there but calmed down a bit. Either way, Tony blowing Ross off over the phone gives me the impression the animosity is not as strong as it was following his fight with Cap. Maybe (and perhaps most likely)  the next Avengers will make this clearer and Zemo's plan to divide the Avengers will come to fruition. But as it stands right now, I'm left confused.

I still maintain that The First Avenger and The Winter Soldier are not only the best Captain America films, but also the benchmark for the entire MCU. This one comes a distant third rate. I actually enjoyed Doctor Strange more than this.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Fri,  2 Dec  2016, 11:50Spider-Man - Despite what I said earlier about helping Peter Parker might've been Tony's way of channeling his guilt over the secretary's dead son in Sokovia, I still feel Spidey's role in this film is unnecessary. In fact, his scene where he first met Stark really does feel out of place with the rest of the film, which for the most part is quite serious. I don't normally agree with the criticism that Marvel overuses humour to its own detriment, but to be honest, this is the first film in the MCU where I thought some critics have a point.
I thought everything with Spider-Man in CW was subpar. All the joking and talking and whatnot Spider-Man did just seemed like it was trying too hard. It's neat to see Spider-Man running around the MCU with the other characters but that's novelty. The fact is that we've had five Spider-Man movies in relatively recent years so it takes more than novelty now to engender interest in Spider-Man. At this point, Homecoming had better live up to something or other because Raimi and Webb's movies are overall pretty solid and just being good probably won't be enough for Homecoming to win points.

I found some YouTuber's video about goings on with the Spider-Verse thing Sony considered doing before making the deal with Marvel. Some of that stuff, especially Spider-Man 2099, sounded really interesting so I'm kind of pissed now that those things probably aren't happening. Simply having Spider-Man in the MCU won't make up for that either.

Yeah. You know what? Marvel is dead to me. Even their new Spider-Man. I was optimistic about the new beginning and all that jazz. But honestly? I agree completely with the blender of colors. A lot of Hollandman fell flat like a burnt pancake to me. Forced humour. The Star Wars joke was long winded and cringeworthy. The new suit is also bland. The raised webbing made the design visually pop. This one can pop off into the garbage can.

And also, the suit is basically CGI all the time. So what's the point of even creating a hand made suit in the first place? And not to get too political, but I'm not liking the direction of Homecoming's casting. It just smacks of a SJW love in. And that turns me off.

So yeah, I'm not the Spider-Man fan I used to be. The passion has eroded like a mile long tsunami pounding a fragile coastline. These days, give me Superman and the DCEU, OK? Civil War more or less copied the much superior Dawn of Justice beat for beat, and it just didn't stack up. But don't tell the biased Marvel lovers that. They'll be triggered. So on second thought, tell them that. The DCEU fan has to cop a lot of rubbish, so it's overdue we turned up the volume.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri,  2 Dec  2016, 15:50
I thought everything with Spider-Man in CW was subpar. All the joking and talking and whatnot Spider-Man did just seemed like it was trying too hard. It's neat to see Spider-Man running around the MCU with the other characters but that's novelty. The fact is that we've had five Spider-Man movies in relatively recent years so it takes more than novelty now to engender interest in Spider-Man. At this point, Homecoming had better live up to something or other because Raimi and Webb's movies are overall pretty solid and just being good probably won't be enough for Homecoming to win points.

I must admit that I never wanted Spider-Man in the MCU to begin. Marvel has enough characters on their plate as it is. Plus, what will another reboot have to offer, other than making Iron Man Peter's mentor? It's going to take place where Peter attends high school yet again and it seems there are going to be multiple villains stealing the show. Weren't these the same things people had complained about Spider-Man 3 and Andrew Garfield's run?

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri,  2 Dec  2016, 15:50
I found some YouTuber's video about goings on with the Spider-Verse thing Sony considered doing before making the deal with Marvel. Some of that stuff, especially Spider-Man 2099, sounded really interesting so I'm kind of pissed now that those things probably aren't happening. Simply having Spider-Man in the MCU won't make up for that either.

I haven't heard about that. I did hear a stupid rumour about Sony supposedly making an Aunt May movie. It was a joke of course, but a lot of fans thought it was legit.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat,  3 Dec  2016, 00:07
Yeah. You know what? Marvel is dead to me. Even their new Spider-Man. I was optimistic about the new beginning and all that jazz. But honestly? I agree completely with the blender of colors. A lot of Hollandman fell flat like a burnt pancake to me. Forced humour. The Star Wars joke was long winded and cringeworthy. The new suit is also bland. The raised webbing made the design visually pop. This one can pop off into the garbage can.

I'll say it again, for all the criticism about BvS rushing characters to set up Justice League, I say Spider-Man's inclusion for Civil War was a blatant set-up for his own film. I accept Black Panther because he had an arc to go through, but Spidey was completely unnecessary. I remember watching the Super Bowl trailer where he didn't even feature, and after watching it again, there's not one moment where I thought his presence was missed.

If it were up to me, I'd introduce Spider-Man starting from Homecoming.

It's a shame to hear you're turned off by the MCU, TDK. But I'll respect your opinion.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I have simply had enough of the grossly overrated Marvel movies, and the same goes for Spider-Man. I just don't care anymore. I just don't have the passion or the emotional investment. The CW post credit scene with Peter was very ho hum. Audiences I saw the movie with were very much of the "ugh, Spider-Man again?!" vibe. It just felt underwhelming and samey. I think the Marvel films have been released so rapidly that I just don't give them any attention anymore. Doctor Strange came and went, and I have no desire to EVER lay eyes on it. Marvel films are generic and are no longer a special event at all. They are fast food. You know what you are going to get, and it doesn't really challenge or excite my senses. Battle lines have been drawn by those dogs as well, so I wish them nothing but pain and suffering.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat,  3 Dec  2016, 00:07Yeah. You know what? Marvel is dead to me. Even their new Spider-Man. I was optimistic about the new beginning and all that jazz. But honestly? I agree completely with the blender of colors. A lot of Hollandman fell flat like a burnt pancake to me. Forced humour. The Star Wars joke was long winded and cringeworthy. The new suit is also bland. The raised webbing made the design visually pop. This one can pop off into the garbage can.
There are some positive aspects to the HC Spider-Man costume. But as you say, it's nothing really special. I do like the Ditko eye-apertures but that's about it.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat,  3 Dec  2016, 00:07And not to get too political, but I'm not liking the direction of Homecoming's casting. It just smacks of a SJW love in. And that turns me off.
I know what you mean. Frankly, I'm sick of that. It's a very warped idea and it seems inescapable in entertainment media nowadays. It's all over the place in the CW network's Arrowverse shows. It's damaging, I don't care what anybody says, and it's unwelcome. TDK, you know exactly what I'm referring to here.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat,  3 Dec  2016, 00:07So yeah, I'm not the Spider-Man fan I used to be. The passion has eroded like a mile long tsunami pounding a fragile coastline. These days, give me Superman and the DCEU, OK? Civil War more or less copied the much superior Dawn of Justice beat for beat, and it just didn't stack up. But don't tell the biased Marvel lovers that. They'll be triggered. So on second thought, tell them that. The DCEU fan has to cop a lot of rubbish, so it's overdue we turned up the volume.
The thing that might've rescued Homecoming for me MIGHT have been Spider-Man's origin done right. It's never been done properly in live action before. Peter starts off as a jerk. Period. It has to be that way. Otherwise his "hubris" doesn't mean anything when Uncle Ben pays the price. Raimi screwed it up and so did Webb.

But Homecoming shows us an up-to-speed Spider-Man and... just whatever, I don't care.

Indeedy do. I'm up for something new. Superman has been dormant for so long, cinematically, at least, and that represents exciting potential. Wonder Woman only hit the big screen with Dawn of Justice, so it's literally a blank canvass. I am very eager to follow her development. I think her character is fantastic, and give me Gal Gadot over the reheated Spiderdude ANY DAY. Likewise for Aquaman, Cyborg and Flash. The wait can be torture, with only two films a year, but in the long run, I think that's going to help. It makes these films feel more like events, with the anticipation becoming greater.