If WB gives us....

Started by Grissom, Thu, 3 Dec 2015, 16:14

Previous topic - Next topic
The MCU have done really well with their films actually watched The Winter Soldier again a few days ago and really enjoyed it, thinking that it's the best they have offered so far. Thing about MCU is that I sort of know what to expect in terms of storylines and even action sequences.

With the DCEU, we really are in for something different. I love Man of Steel and the way the story was told and from the different perspectives. I am anticipating BvS with great gusto as I want to see the two greatest superheros on screen together. Plus, I've always been a DC guy more than Marvel.

I agree, Grissom. The Marvel Films have some great assets but I've always been more of a DC fan, and Batman in particular.

I don't really like the whole marvel vs dc debate in the comics. Plenty of high ranking people have worked on both including Stan Lee. And those high up in the comics themselves don't take shots at the other side, I follow Stan Lee on facebook, he makes plenty of pro-DC posts and was great fans with Bob Kane.

Anyhow lately I feel marvel is bettering DC on film but DC's TV series are better. DC sets up better for a shared universe with their fictional setting as most of Marvel is in New York. I do have hope DC is finally getting it right on the big screen; Suicide squad is a film I can't see getting made 5-10 years ago

Quote from: riddler on Wed,  3 Feb  2016, 20:27
I don't really like the whole marvel vs dc debate in the comics.
Spider-Man, Captain America, Iron-Man, Hulk and a few others are terrific characters.

DC has Batman and Superman who I like. I'm beginning to really appreciate Wonder Woman, and believe it or not, may actually overtake Superman as my second favourite DC character. After those three, I dig The Flash. The TV show is exceptionally good and I hope the live action version hits the mark too.

Green Lantern has lots of potential, as does Aquaman and Cyborg. But I can't say I'm a fan at the moment. Hopefully that changes in the coming years.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu,  4 Feb  2016, 05:41
Quote from: riddler on Wed,  3 Feb  2016, 20:27
I don't really like the whole marvel vs dc debate in the comics.
Spider-Man, Captain America, Iron-Man, Hulk and a few others are terrific characters.

DC has Batman and Superman who I like. I'm beginning to really appreciate Wonder Woman, and believe it or not, may actually overtake Superman as my second favourite DC character. After those three, I dig The Flash. The TV show is exceptionally good and I hope the live action version hits the mark too.

Green Lantern has lots of potential, as does Aquaman and Cyborg. But I can't say I'm a fan at the moment. Hopefully that changes in the coming years.

I've yet to see "The Flash" but I agree with the rest, and I like GL and Cyborg, still on the fence on Aquaman being part of the team.

I'm grateful that Hollywood has reached a stage where it can give us a plethora of superhero films, from DC, Marvel, Darkhorse and others. Some say it's oversaturated, which could be partially correct but to be a fan of a particular superhero and to then see the character come alive on the big screen, must be truly satisfying.  8)

Quote from: Grissom on Thu,  4 Feb  2016, 19:08
I'm grateful that Hollywood has reached a stage where it can give us a plethora of superhero films, from DC, Marvel, Darkhorse and others. Some say it's oversaturated, which could be partially correct but to be a fan of a particular superhero and to then see the character come alive on the big screen, must be truly satisfying.  8)

Some of these characters have been around over 50 years and are just getting their first ever big screen treatments. Compare that to novels and short stories which are getting movies within 5 years. Movie technology is what has been holding it back, for instance Iron Man was initially written for the third Bixby/Ferrigno Hulk film in the late 80s but part of the reason he was cut was at the time they could not properly portray the character with the special effects available at the time on a feasible budget.

Good point, the technology had to catch up but remember that didn't stop the 1940's and 1950's Batman and Superman movie serials. :) It's just great we can finally see these characters in all their glory.

Quote from: Grissom on Mon,  8 Feb  2016, 21:22
Good point, the technology had to catch up but remember that didn't stop the 1940's and 1950's Batman and Superman movie serials. :) It's just great we can finally see these characters in all their glory.

Batman and Superman are characters which could be portrayed without heavy effects. Characters such as the hulk, iron man, spider-man, thor, green lantern, etc. are dependent on technology. Even batman and superman were tougher to portray given film technology. Supes has had very few of his villains portrayed in live action for that reason.

Quote from: riddler on Wed, 10 Feb  2016, 22:02
Batman and Superman are characters which could be portrayed without heavy effects. Characters such as the hulk, iron man, spider-man, thor, green lantern, etc. are dependent on technology. Even batman and superman were tougher to portray given film technology. Supes has had very few of his villains portrayed in live action for that reason.
Spider-Man and Hulk had films and shows in the 1970s.  Perhaps they weren't the best, but arguably their flaws were in the storytelling rather than the effects.

Great storytelling can and should overcome any budgetary shortcomings.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.