Wonder Woman (2017)

Started by The Joker, Wed, 25 Nov 2015, 16:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Catwoman on Mon, 16 Oct  2017, 05:27

Not sure where in the world this is but I do know I wanna go!

The best scene IMO is when Diana walks through the end of war celebrations and finds Steve's photo.

Honorable mentions:

Diana and Steve dancing at night. Something about this felt like an old school war film. Really loved that vibe.
Diana trying on the outfits. This was breezy fun.
Young Diana's origins. They sold the idea fighting was always in her blood.

And anything that highlights Diana's naivety and heart of gold. Her reaction to the baby, for example.

As you can see, none of my top scenes involve any action. This is a film of charm and poignancy.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 19 Oct  2017, 03:00
The best scene IMO is when Diana walks through the end of war celebrations and finds Steve's photo.

Honorable mentions:

Diana and Steve dancing at night. Something about this felt like an old school war film. Really loved that vibe.
Diana trying on the outfits. This was breezy fun.
Young Diana's origins. They sold the idea fighting was always in her blood.

And anything that highlights Diana's naivety and heart of gold. Her reaction to the baby, for example.

As you can see, none of my top scenes involve any action. This is a film of charm and poignancy.

All of these were great.

There's alot of scenes that are memorable and stick with you. It's amazing that the film found just the right balance of displaying how Diana's heart is in the right place, but has a worldview that can be considered too simplistic, without going too far with that aspect and making her come across as a simpleton for humor sakes. That was a major concern going in, and I was relieved walking out feeling that indeed walked that tightrope just fine. Patty, Gal, and the rest of the crew should be commended for that. As it would have been easy and lazy to just go for cheap laughs. Disaster avoided!

P.S. I finally saw the Professor Marston film today and found it enjoyable. For some reason I keep comparing it to 2006's Hollywoodland detailing the mystery surrounding George Reeves death, even though they are two very different films. I guess you can say, if anything, the pacing it similar. I've been familiar with Marston's unconventional private life spilling into his writing of Wonder Woman for quite awhile now, but for 99.9% of the people who have no clue, i'm sure it can be eye opening. I think the film did a very adequate job in detailing the emotional bond, and societal anxiety with such a arrangement. Personally, I would have preferred more time devoted to Marston's working relationship with National Comics, and all it's give and take, but at the same time I understand there's only so much running time that can be given to that sort of stuff when it's not the primary focus.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

She is so adorable it hurts. Some proof:

Extended part of the Gal/Amy clip. Amy's reaction is priceless but so are Holly and Jesse's and Laurence is like "Yeah these muthaf***as are crazy."

I LOVE these two together

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu,  1 Jun  2017, 13:52
Cool beans. How do you rate out of all the DCEU films to date?

A bit late to reply, but I don't rate them, they are all good to me.

Last month, it was announced Kristen Wiig will play Cheetah in the sequel.

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp/2018/03/09/kristen-wiig-will-star-in-wonder-woman-sequel-as-the-cheetah-patty-jenkins-confirms

While on the subject of Wonder Woman, I found this great tweet that somebody point out about the double standards between Zod's death and Luddendorf's death.

One of these pissed off a lot of people, the other one didn't. Why? #Superman #WonderWoman

https://twitter.com/WayTooWitty/status/981937426292727809
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Blatant double standards. Girl power glosses over everything.

Stabbing someone with a sword is undeniably more painful and graphic.
Snapping a neck in one clean motion is instant and efficient.

Superman was the in act of saving innocent people in the direct firing line. He had seconds to act.
Wonder Woman had her reasons, but it was fuelled a lot by revenge and a predisposed crusade.

Wonder Woman gets a free pass as well because she has the warrior princess reputation. Superman has a set of expectations placed on him that he's apparently not meant to cross. Sorry, I don't accept that. Earth's number one protector decides what level of appropriate force is required in whatever situation he finds himself in. And who's going to tell him otherwise?

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 14 Apr  2018, 11:22
Blatant double standards. Girl power glosses over everything.

Superman was the in act of saving innocent people in the direct firing line. He had seconds to act.
Wonder Woman had her reasons, but it was fuelled a lot by revenge and a predisposed crusade.

The fact she killed Luddendorf because she had mistakenly believed he was Ares in disguise means she killed somebody in cold blood. But somehow, people think Superman killing a genocidal maniac who refused to surrender was an act of murder. While rallying against Superman and Batman for their lethal ways, the naysayers praise Wonder Woman as the "only good" DC film, even though Diana doesn't share the supposed ideals these hypocrites strive for.

Mind you, I don't care that Diana kills. I'm not the one making the moral outrage over this, I'm just flustered by the constant idiocy and hypocrisy of people on the subject of DC Comics in live action. It never ends.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat, 14 Apr  2018, 04:49While on the subject of Wonder Woman, I found this great tweet that somebody point out about the double standards between Zod's death and Luddendorf's death.

One of these pissed off a lot of people, the other one didn't. Why? #Superman #WonderWoman

https://twitter.com/WayTooWitty/status/981937426292727809
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 14 Apr  2018, 11:22Blatant double standards. Girl power glosses over everything.

Wonder Woman gets a free pass as well because she has the warrior princess reputation. Superman has a set of expectations placed on him that he's apparently not meant to cross. Sorry, I don't accept that. Earth's number one protector decides what level of appropriate force is required in whatever situation he finds himself in. And who's going to tell him otherwise?
WW cares about character and emotion and consistency. That's the difference. WW is established to be someone willing to kill. Superman has no establishing character emotions beyond generalization. Him killing means nothing to the movie or Clark or the scene and is contradicted in the next scene. WW is built up in the movie in this capacity. SM isn't, not just in expectations from previous incarnations, but in this one. One movie is well written, the other isn't.

In truth Superman has no more rights than every other normal person. Because that's all he is. He can die. He has faults. He's not special. He's only human.