Wonder Woman (2017)

Started by The Joker, Wed, 25 Nov 2015, 16:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Yeah, I would say the film is a great amalgamation of the Golden Age Wonder Woman, the Post-Crisis Wonder Woman, with the New52 origin "revelation" thrown in as well. I really can't vouch for any Silver Age/Bronze Age influences, cause honestly, there isn't much there to grasp onto anyways (pure zaniness,Karate Kid Diana & ever changing creative teams), but as far as the eras where the Wonder Woman actually had direction, the film compliments them.

I would like to think if William Marston was alive today, he would be as happy with the movie as Jerry and Joe were with Richard Donner's Superman The Movie.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

How does Steve Trevor returning (allegedly) in the sequel tally with the comics? I remember in the TV show they had Lyle Waggoner playing both Steve and Steve Jr. Is this accurate to the source material? And if so, do you think Pine will be playing his own descendent or merely reprising his role as the original Steve via flashbacks?

Steve Trevor returning from the dead tallies up with the comics very well to be perfectly honest with you. If I am remembering correctly, he was shot and put into a coma right before the Diana Prince/Karate Kid/Beatrix Kiddo run, revived soon after, only to be killed a few issues later. Aphrodite brings him back to the living a few or so years later, but Steve's once again killed off due to a cult wanting to use him as a conduit to power some being or another. Then there's the alternate reality (I don't remember which Earth he belonged to) Steve Trevor that Wondy meets and falls in love with all over again. Kinda like how the Barry Allen Flash hooked up with a Iris West from the future following Pre-Crisis Earth-1's Iris getting killed by the Reverse-Flash. Because, comics. The alternate reality Steve is the Steve Wonder Woman gets married to right before Crisis on Infinite Earths, while the Earth-Two Wonder Woman & Steve are allowed to live on forever in Mount Olympus.

Post-Crisis Steve was just aged up and then married off to Etta Candy.

New52 Steve was essentially the ex-boyfriend.

& Rebirth Steve is back as Wonder Woman's love interest again. These Steve's never had to deal with coming back from the dead like the Pre-Crisis Steve did.

So, yeah. There's alot of ways to go about it. The Waggoner Steve Trevor Jr. deal was just a way to get him to return for the show due to the time jump from Seasons 1 and 2, and I guess the best possible route for 1970's audiences since saying Season 1 was on Earth-Two and Seasons 2+3 are on Earth-One probably would have been just too much back then.

Either Steve can come back as a illusion, in order to manipulate Wonder Woman, or he could very well come back for real due to perhaps a Old God surviving the Ares attacks (like Aphrodite), or via the powers of a villain like Circe. Since she's been shown to be able to bring back the dead as well. Actually, she's been shown to be able to do a whole hell of alot. Definitely a villain that's worth exploring in a future DCEU Wonder Woman movie.   

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

It sounds like they've got a lot of options to choose from when it comes to bringing Steve back. I wonder which they'll go for.

I'm more familiar with Circe from her guest shots on Justice League Unlimited than her appearances in the comics. But based on what little I know about her, I should think she'd make for quite a compelling movie villain.

So we all know that Batman v Superman and Suicide squad released directors cuts months later which seemed to be a significant improvement over the theatrical release. The wonder woman DVD/blu ray is only advertising one deleted scene. This is a good sign IMO, it seems WB/DC finally had a better grasp about which scenes to put in their movie BEFORE post-production this time. Hopefully they continue following the successful blueprint of Wonder Woman, it seemed despite the false rumours, the production was far more seamless than its predecessors.

I don't buy that smooth productions equal better films. Batman89 had Nicholson walking up the cathedral steps asking the filmmakers what they were doing. And they had to respond with "we're not sure". And from there, one of the best Batman sequences of all time was born.

Finally saw this. I have two words.

f***ing

Epic.

Wed, 13 Sep 2017, 04:20 #227 Last Edit: Wed, 13 Sep 2017, 14:37 by riddler
Quote from: Catwoman on Tue, 12 Sep  2017, 10:09
Finally saw this. I have two words.

f***ing

Epic.

I thought so as well. I thought one of the best parts was her sidekick Steve Trevor. I can't ever think of a male sidekick to a super heroine being as strong of a character as in Wonder Woman. Normally the male sidekick is physically a wuss under that dynamic but this guy is a gutsy fighter and kudos for him for not being closed minded and recognize and respect Diana for what she is without being chauvinism was the norm.

Uh his name is Steve Trevor. lol. Do you keep misnaming him on purpose or...?

And yes I agree. A strong, brave woman as the main character with a strong, brave man at her side shouldn't seem like a fresh concept, but it does. One of my favorite parts is when they're side by side in the street, her with her lasso and him with his rifle, as they liberate the village. So badass. I also loved his scene of sacrifice. Reading his face in that scene, he didn't have to say a damn word. You could tell every thought going through his head in that moment, the doubt, the fear, and his final peace with what he's doing. I know that's what they were going for but it takes great acting to pull it off so well. I'd never seen Chris in anything else but I loved him in this.

Gal's own acting was so wonder-ful (pun 100% intended). I already loved her Diana from the little bit she was in BvS but we're at a whole new level of adoration now, y'all. The way she blended Diana's cute naivete (example: her first reaction to ice cream lol) with being a freaking badass was perfect. That's the kind of character that if I had a daughter, or even if I had a son, I would want them to latch onto. Gentle, kind, always curious, but a warrior when needed. Maybe my favorite part in the whole movie is when she experiences snow for the first time in the village. Here she has kicked all kinds of major ass to save these people, and now a simple snowfall makes her eyes light up. That's the kind of woman I'd like to be. I know she seems almost as world weary as Bruce in BvS but I hope she finds a little of that innocence in her the same way he found a light still within him. Might be a lot tougher for her, though.

Speaking of the village and her loss of innocence, the pain of the scene when she finds it gassed and everyone dead hit me very hard. I had an uneasy feeling as the characters were celebrating the night before but it was about Steve and the others in the group (who I quickly came to adore, I'm glad they survived). I thought the village had been saved. So that was a painful moment. Made me hate Ludendorff (may have spelled that wrong) even more and I cheered with glee when Diana slew him.

But I knew he wasn't Ares.

Somehow I just latched onto the Sir Patrick character as being, um, off even though I felt totally crazy for doing it. So the big reveal was both cool in a "Ha I knew it!" kind of way and sort of terrifying at the same time lol. It was creepy that the god of war had masqueraded so well as this gentle person but really fitting as well. That was yet another scene/concept done perfectly.

Back to Diana in the village after the mustard gas attack, did that remind anyone else of Clark in the flames of the capitol after Luthor blows it up in BvS? The hero, invincible in an otherwise deadly setting, instead consumed by grief?  I doubt that was intentional, but it was interesting. Diana's of course hit much harder since it was longer and we thought they were safe after the heroes' work the day before but Clark's pain in that scene was one of BvS's hardest moments. I liked it (in terms of film making, as a viewer of course I was very upset) but I do hope that won't be a theme. If Arthur winds up weeping among the drowned in a flood in Aquaman I will be a little annoyed lol. Find other ways to tear our hearts out.

Quote from: Catwoman on Wed, 13 Sep  2017, 10:44
Back to Diana in the village after the mustard gas attack, did that remind anyone else of Clark in the flames of the capitol after Luthor blows it up in BvS? The hero, invincible in an otherwise deadly setting, instead consumed by grief?  I doubt that was intentional, but it was interesting.

Maybe. But the one scene that reminded me of a callback to a previous DCEU film was Diana talking to Ares in some sort of dreamlike, hallucinatory sequence similar to Clark speaking to Zod in that nightmare in MOS.

As a matter of fact, the action and special effects of Wonder Woman does have striking resemblances to the Doomsday fight in BvS.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei