Wonder Woman (2017)

Started by The Joker, Wed, 25 Nov 2015, 16:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Digital 8/29 and Blu-ray 9/19.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOw9Iu8QsII

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Wed, 26 Jul  2017, 23:00
Frank Miller has called Wonder Woman the best superhero film since Superman: The Movie.
I know where he's coming from. It shares the same plot beats and charm of the first Reeve film. For all the fuss about this being a female directed film with a female lead actress, I actually don't think WW gets enough praise to be honest. I watched it again recently and enjoyed it a great deal. The visuals are top notch. I can tell effort was put in with the soundtrack. The action was solid. All of that stuff gets my tick of approval. But that all would mean nothing if it weren't for Gal Gadot. She made this movie what it is. Her naive goodness is what hooked me in. She's not just fun to watch - she has depth as well. Which sadly, seems to have gone out the window in other CBM's. Fun, fun, fun seems to override everything.

I actually think one of the hidden gems of this movie that isn't talked about enough is Trevor Slattery. I can't think of a movie which made a female lead and a male sidekick work as well as this one did. Typically that dynamic usually involves the male to be either a wimp or completely oblivious but the Slattery character was tough and heroic in his own right and I thought was a great character to help Diana and keep her grounded.

Congratulations to Wonder Woman on passing the $800 million mark. It's now 2017's second highest grossing film in the US and the fifth highest grossing globally. It's also the highest grossing entry in the DCEU domestically and the second highest grossing worldwide. An epic win all round.

Quote from: riddler on Fri, 11 Aug  2017, 13:21
I actually think one of the hidden gems of this movie that isn't talked about enough is Trevor Slattery.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sun, 20 Aug  2017, 18:09
Congratulations to Wonder Woman on passing the $800 million mark. It's now 2017's second highest grossing film in the US and the fifth highest grossing globally. It's also the highest grossing entry in the DCEU domestically and the second highest grossing worldwide. An epic win all round.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

James Cameron has criticised Wonder Woman during an interview with the Guardian.

Quote from: James Cameron
"All of the self-congratulatory back-patting Hollywood's been doing over Wonder Woman has been so misguided. She's an objectified icon, and it's just male Hollywood doing the same old thing! I'm not saying I didn't like the movie but, to me, it's a step backwards. Sarah Connor was not a beauty icon. She was strong, she was troubled, she was a terrible mother, and she earned the respect of the audience through pure grit. And to me, [the benefit of characters like Sarah] is so obvious. I mean, half the audience is female!"

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/aug/24/james-cameron-well-never-be-able-to-reproduce-the-shock-of-terminator-2

Patty Jenkins released this response on Twitter:

Source: https://twitter.com/PattyJenks/status/900917648015405062

I think Cameron's comparison with Sarah Conner and WW is terribly misguided. The gist I'm getting from what he's saying is strong female characters should be built like men. Which I don't agree. Sex appeal doesn't cheapen a character, and it can definitely be argued that male characters can be objectified too.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I admire James Cameron's past work, but I disagree with his comments here. He's basically propping up one his own characters with this jealous statement. Cameron is basically saying you can't be beautiful and still be a strong woman. Which is nonsense. The first amendment is a two way thing. Cameron can share his opinion, and Patti is also allowed to respond. Some people want one sided conversations and hence they react with fury when the other side speaks up.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 26 Aug  2017, 03:10
I admire James Cameron's past work, but I disagree with his comments here. He's basically propping up one his own characters with this jealous statement.

It's certainly a bit bizarre for him to say that, although I'm not quite sure why would he be jealous about WW's success. Besides, he's has been guilty of objectifying women in the past. Remember Jamie Lee Curtis's striptease in True Lies?  ;)

Off-topic: looking back at what Jenkins wrote about Cameron appraising her film Monster, I feel uncomfortable that both of them are describing Aileen Wuornos as a "strong" character, in a positive sense. As tragic and devastating Wuornos's life was, I find it unsettling that people are empowering her despite the fact she was a serial killer.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Sounds like James Cameron being James Cameron. Jenkins' response was far more dignified.

All in all, I think the great thing about this movie was that it translated the character's values, tropes, and ideas circa the Golden Age comics into a modern film, despite tweaked origin.

The complaining about objectification would really have to go all the way back to William Moulton Marston and H.G. Peter. There's always been a sex appeal about her.

Quote from: The Joker on Sat, 26 Aug  2017, 15:21
All in all, I think the great thing about this movie was that it translated the character's values, tropes, and ideas circa the Golden Age comics into a modern film, despite tweaked origin.

Aside from her appearances in Justice League stories, I know very little about the Wonder Woman comics. How close is the movie to the source material? Obviously a few things will have been changed, but overall would you say it was a faithful translation?