did anyone have a problem with Batman killing back then?

Started by mrrockey, Sun, 11 Oct 2015, 21:24

Previous topic - Next topic
Tue, 3 May 2016, 05:11 #30 Last Edit: Tue, 3 May 2016, 06:04 by johnnygobbs
Quote from: Dagenspear on Tue,  3 May  2016, 04:50
Two-Face didn't die.
Really?  But we saw him plunge into a spike-filled abyss and slowly disappear underneath the water to presumably drown.  He ain't coming back from that...

So Val Kilmer's Batman, as relatively devoid as blood-lust as he may be, still killed Two-Face.  He knew that Two-Face would desperately scramble to catch his scarred coin once it got lost in the mix with the other coins thrown by himself, and that he would thus lose his balance.  In view of Harvey's severe mental illness, his death was entirely foreseeable at best and intentional at worst, and in a court of law, were the illness to be taken into account, it is highly probable Batman would be charged with murder, if not manslaughter.

And whilst I'd argue that Bale's Batman wasn't a murderer within the context of the monastery scene, since he didn't specifically intend to kill any of the League of Shadows, he still committed reckless manslaughter because it was entirely foreseeable that a few of them would end up losing their lives in the explosion.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Tue,  3 May  2016, 05:11Really?  But we saw him plunge into a spike-filled abyss and slowly disappear underneath the water to presumably drown.  He ain't coming back from that...

So Val Kilmer's Batman, as relatively devoid as blood-lust as he may be, still killed Two-Face.  He knew that Two-Face would desperately scramble to catch his scarred coin once it got lost in the mix with the other coins thrown by himself, and that he would thus lose his balance.  In view of Harvey's severe mental illness, his death was entirely foreseeable at best and intentional at worst, and in a court of law, were the illness to be taken into account, it is highly probable Batman would be charged with murder, if not manslaughter.
He fell. We never saw him die. The director said that it was meant ambiguously. His clothes are in Arkham in B&R, along with Riddler's, implying that he's there. He's likely in a coma. But not dead. Have a very great day!

God bless you! God bless everyone!

Get out of town with that 'Two-Face didn't die in BF' nonsense.

Quote from: Dagenspear on Tue,  3 May  2016, 05:59He fell. We never saw him die. The director said that it was meant ambiguously. His clothes are in Arkham in B&R, along with Riddler's, implying that he's there. He's likely in a coma. But not dead.
By that logic neither the Fire-Eater nor the Strongman in Batman Returns died.  There's certainly more to argue their survival than Two-Face's (so what if Two-Face's clothes were at Arkham, it's possible he had more than one suit, and the one in Arkham was placed there before his escape).

I find it hard to believe he's merely in a coma, since we saw Two-Face disappear under the water.  Unless someone got there within three minutes or so and fished him out, he would have drowned regardless of whether he was already unconscious.  Not to mention, there's no way anyone falling from that distance would have avoided all the spikes located at the bottom.  He would have likely had various parts of his body impaled, and were it not for the drowning, have bled to death
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I seem to remember an article by Denny O'Neil (editor of the comic books at the time) in which he was frustrated by fans constantly asking him why doesn't Batman kill like in the movie. Just the opposite of now.

I can only go by what's shown in the actual film itself. Everything, and I do mean, everything, about Two-Face's fall naturally indicates to the viewer that he's fallen to his death. The height from where Two-Face was standing to the water/spikes below, the scream, Robin's non-verbal reaction, which most definitely comes across as someone who's in the process of witnessing the murderer of his parents and brother fall to his death, rather than "Oh, he's gonna feel that in the morning! Hurr durr!", to Two-Face's open hand symbolically  catching the coin, un-scarred side up ... yeah if that's supposed to be ambiguous then Schumacher did a piss poor job in establishing that.

Even a single line at the end of the film with Bruce & Chase about Two-Face surviving would have sufficed. What we are left to go on seems pretty final in that Two-Face kicked the bucket. Thanks to Batman.  ;)

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: Dagenspear on Tue,  3 May  2016, 04:50
I can certainly understand why he did it, perhaps in some ways to spare Robin of vengeance by murder, but the intent of his actions with the coins appear to be pretty conspicuous.
Intentions matter. Two-Face didn't die.
[/quote]

I saw the movie twice in the theatre and several times since.  I always took Two-Face's fall as a fall to his death.  It wasn't until I saw his clothing in Arkham (in Batman & Robin) that I had to rethink that.  Maybe he was still alive.  I do believe however that the intention in Batman Forever was that Two-Face was indeed dead... but somewhere between that film and B&R they did a back pedal, and decided to show Two-Face's clothing. 

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Tue,  3 May  2016, 06:11By that logic neither the Fire-Eater nor the Strongman in Batman Returns died.
Sure. But the strongman is the hardest to get away from. Have a very great day!

God bless you! God bless everyone!

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Mon,  2 May  2016, 17:02
In all seriousness, Clooney still had one of the best Bruce-Alfred scenes of all time, even though most of it was because of Michael Gough and the dialogue that dived into Bruce's psyche:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBJ93zhz2Cg

I said before, and I'll say it again, I thought Clooney played a good Bruce Wayne. When he spoke, I thought he played the role with sincerity and he worked well with Gough in those scenes reminiscing of the past and on Alfred's death bed.

If it weren't for the notorious rubber nipples, sexual references and bad puns, B&R could've been acclaimed as a great film for children's entertainment. Who knows?

Quote from: GBglide on Tue,  3 May  2016, 06:18
I seem to remember an article by Denny O'Neil (editor of the comic books at the time) in which he was frustrated by fans constantly asking him why doesn't Batman kill like in the movie. Just the opposite of now.

I've never read Knightquest, but maybe that's why Dennis O'Neil took the opportunity to write a story why Batman should never kill when somebody else replaced him following the Bane situation.

Quote from: KeatonisBatman on Tue,  3 May  2016, 08:03
I saw the movie twice in the theatre and several times since.  I always took Two-Face's fall as a fall to his death.  It wasn't until I saw his clothing in Arkham (in Batman & Robin) that I had to rethink that.  Maybe he was still alive.  I do believe however that the intention in Batman Forever was that Two-Face was indeed dead... but somewhere between that film and B&R they did a back pedal, and decided to show Two-Face's clothing. 

I disagree. If Schumacher wanted to convey the message that Two-Face was still alive, he would've tried to make it clearer e.g. showing a newspaper headline saying "Two-Face alive? Former DA sighted in Gotham City" or a line of dialogue or something. I don't really get the impression the costume's cameo is anything else other than an Easter Egg.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: Dagenspear on Tue,  3 May  2016, 10:34But the strongman is the hardest to get away from.
That's what you are trying to do with Two-Face. Trying to get away from the obvious. Going by your flimsy logic, Bane is still alive in TDK Rises because we don't see his body again after the cannons are fired. Two-Face hit a watery grave with spikes, designed to kill whoever falls into it. You arguing Two-Face survived this scenario stretches your credibility. If we didn't see The Joker's crushed body on the floor after his fall from the cathedral, you'd likely be saying how he still could be alive, too. Which I say such logic deserves to be laughed at. May Xenu bless you.