Batman failing to save Harvey Dent from Maroni

Started by The Laughing Fish, Mon, 24 Aug 2015, 10:08

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm okay with that scene; however I always thought it was a little bizarre Batman would conveniently come jumping out from a crowd of courtroom spectators as if he was just standing there all along. I've always viewed Batman as a hero who mostly stays cloaked in darkness except for a few whom he trusts like Gordon. This was another example of where Schumacher was taking the series by gearing the tone towards comic book sensibilities. Batman was now a common sight in courtroom dramas and even promotional events for the city.

I found this snarky blog post that didn't take too kindly to this scene; complaining why the scene sucks, and having a dig at the whole movie for its change of tone it brought to the series once Tim Burton left. The blogger acknowledges the scene is faithful Two-Face's backstory in the Golden Age comics, but claims "what works in comics doesn't necessarily work on film".

WHY I LOATHE IT:

It presents more questions than it answers.

How did Batman get into the court room?

Did he arrive via tube, ala Futurama, since the film had earlier established that Bruce Wayne can apparently travel from his office at Wayne Enterprises to the bat cave via a trap door and an underground series of tubes?\

Or did he show up at court as Bruce Wayne and sneak into a bathroom to retrieve a strategically hidden batsuit left for him by Alfred?  If so, did seriously no one notice him re-enter the room looking like that?

Or, since this is a point in his story where the police commissioner beckons him with a giant signal from atop police headquarters, is he just generally accepted wherever he pleases in the Gotham City justice system?  Did the court have to beckon him with their own bat signal?

Or was he some sort of invited guest?  Was he there as an expert witness of some sort?  How would that even go, "Please state, for the record, your full name, sir."  "I'm Bruce Way....crap!  I mean...I'm Batman!"

Is this a new Law & Order phase of his crime-fighting career, where he both delivers the criminals to the authorities and then follows up at their court cases to bully and intimidate the bad guys?  Is he just always sitting in the back of the court room, feet up on the aisle in front of him, reading a newspaper, perhaps with novelty glasses and a funny beard on over his mask to make people think he's not Batman?

Also, how did he know the mobster was about to throw that acid? Does he just periodically lunge at witnesses in anticipation of them doing something nefarious?

Source: https://weminoredinfilm.com/2013/03/29/i-loathe-that-scene-batmans-day-in-court-in-batman-forever/

In my opinion, we can speculate what was Batman doing in the courtoom and how he saw Maroni holding the bottle of acid all we want, but I don't see how Two-Face's insane transformation is any more ridiculous than having him getting manipulated by his girlfriend's killer in TDK. Give me a break. I reckon BF's explanation that the acid scarred and corrupted the other half of his brain is far more plausible compared to that.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Batman wasn't 'standing' in the courtroom.  He found out Maroni's plot and rushed there to save Dent but was too late.

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Tue, 25 Aug  2015, 21:40
No one really acknowledges that it's the only adaptation to stay true to Two-Face's comic book origin (it's practically Detective Comics #66 brought to life) and the only adaptation of Maroni to actually do his role from the comics and scar Dent.

Looking at it again, this scene is perhaps the most faithful backstory for a Batman villain in live action to date. Possibly even all of DC Comics adaptations. I'm hard pressed to think of any other film villain in the entire franchise that has a faithful past, other than maybe Harley Quinn in Suicide Squad. But then again, Harley was originally created for TV, and the abuse and manipulation was added a little later both for animation and comics.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Fri, 29 Apr  2016, 10:58weminoredinfilm.com
weminoredinfilm.com?

We Minored In Film? Holy balls, do they think having a minor in something so idiotic gives them cred or something?

Whatever I may be lacking personally, professionally or whatever else, at least I'm not those losers. I can wake up tomorrow morning and better my situation.

But they'll still be losers.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu,  4 Jan  2018, 02:08
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Fri, 29 Apr  2016, 10:58weminoredinfilm.com
weminoredinfilm.com?

We Minored In Film? Holy balls, do they think having a minor in something so idiotic gives them cred or something?

Whatever I may be lacking personally, professionally or whatever else, at least I'm not those losers. I can wake up tomorrow morning and better my situation.

But they'll still be losers.

Ha, indeed. Nowadays, I refuse to desecrate this forum with links to hipsters spewing rubbish like that blog. They deserve nothing but contempt.