"I'm Batman" Original Line

Started by THE BAT-MAN, Thu, 6 Aug 2015, 03:27

Previous topic - Next topic
Thu, 6 Aug 2015, 03:27 Last Edit: Thu, 6 Aug 2015, 03:36 by THE BAT-MAN
Producer Jon Peters reveals that "I'm Batman" was not the original line.

John McClane in a batsuit.

So glad they changed it. It would've been ridiculous.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu,  6 Aug  2015, 07:20

I reckon it would've been totally appropriate if a badass like Keaton said it. The only Batman worthy to make such a remark. ;D

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't one of the rough drafts had the line "I am the night" too?
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

My girlfriend said it best when this comment from Peters came up. He doesn't need to say that to intimidate others. I'd be interested to see more of him talking about making Batman. He was left off the special edition documentaries. Peters obviously sees a different film than what we're accustomed to. Always best to hear everyone's side of the story before making conclusions.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu,  6 Aug  2015, 07:20

This

I don't believe Peters when he says this.

He probably suggested it at one point, and was ignored  ::)

I agree Paul, he was probably just referencing Die Hard, that was new at the time.

I read that the script had "I am the night", but I don't think it was confirmed.

Quote from: Paul (ral) on Mon, 24 Aug  2015, 11:00
I don't believe Peters when he says this.

He probably suggested it at one point, and was ignored  ::)

I agree. Even Peter Guber suggested in one of the docs accompanying the '89 SE that stuff would be incorporated if everyone involved thought it was a good idea. Stating that the script wasn't the bible, and that it's called film making as you are creating all throughout the process.

Would have been interesting if that sort of line would have actually made the final film. It's easy to imagine the kind of controversy it would have caused. I'm sure Adam West, who was at the time pretty sore about not reprising the role, would have had a field day. I recall Robin (Chris O'Donnell) having an earring getting some play in the media, and that was in 1995!!!

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."