Is it weird...

Started by JokerMeThis, Tue, 4 Aug 2015, 01:48

Previous topic - Next topic
I respect everyone's opinions. I'm just giving mine.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Tue,  4 Aug  2015, 06:42
Quote from: Dagenspear on Tue,  4 Aug  2015, 05:38I don't know what you mean by stick. But I like these movies. I just don't like seeing one get trashed because people just happen to like another. I like the Schumacher films quite a bit. I don't bash Burton for them. And I like TDKT. But I don't want to belittle the Burton films, because they weren't this. I criticize Batman's negative decisions in those movies, but I don't attack the films.
Maybe I got the wrong idea, in which case, I'm glad you're not being made to feel unwelcome for your opinions.  :)

I've just seen it on some other sites where people get bashed for praising the Burton films and not the Nolan ones so I don't want to see the same thing but in reverse happen here.  But if that's not the case, great!

Hopefully we're all accepting of one another's preferences here.  :)
Thank you. God bless you. :) ;D

QuoteI like these movies. I just don't like seeing one get trashed because people just happen to like another.

Look, I don't trash movies because I happen to prefer others or follow trends in liking/disliking whatever. That's just childish. I do prefer Burton's films the best, but that doesn't mean I think they're perfect masterpieces by any means. Nor am I close-minded to believe nothing will touch them. As a matter of fact, I criticize the Burton films for a few things I thought could've been handled better.

I don't like Nolan's films because I simply don't like them at all. I gave those films a chance, and I didn't like what I saw. I just don't like the way the characters are written, I find the action and acting apart from two or three performances to be sub-par and I find the plot to be incredibly poorly written. I thought the ludicrous praise for them was completely unjustified. If I complain about Batman's contradictory actions in the series, it's because I thought the writers did a terrible job in developing his character and decided to cut corners whenever it suited to tell the story they wanted to tell. After all, if I'm bothered with Batman's hypocritical "Wrong on both counts!" line to Catwoman in BR, I'm certainly going to be bothered by what I see in the Nolan films. I'll admit that I am passionate about my criticisms for the films, but I'm fed up that people won't call out their obvious flaws. If they do acknowledge the flaws exist but it doesn't bother them, that's fine. But those flaws did bother me.

If you do enjoy and appreciate all the Batman films, that's cool. I admire that. I just don't feel the same way.

That being said...

What I love about the endings of TDK and TDKR is that they're bittersweet.  Bruce Wayne does the honourable thing in the second film by upholding the city's integrity by taking the rap for crimes committed by Gotham's 'white knight'.

I thought that ending was an insult to the intelligence and far from honorable or uplifting. Batman decides to frame himself because he was afraid the feeble masses could accept the truth over Harvey's crimes, which contradicts his belief that "people are ready to believe in good" during that boat crisis (and let's face it, that message was rubbish to begin with because we saw people trying to kill Reese earlier on, which means Joker already proved his point). I'd imagine that lots of people would've been equally devastated that the costumed crimefighter who saved them from terrorism became a cold-blooded killer, but whatever. Batman's idiotic handling of the situation not only betrayed everything he believed in people and his own purpose of becoming an incorruptible symbol (like he said in BB), but he tells a lie that eventually results in disastrous consequences during Bane's siege in TDKR. If the idiot really had to lie to the public, then why didn't he put the blame on the criminals he was fighting for Harvey's death, instead of risking such a dangerous scenario if the lie he chose to tell could be exposed so easily? You might argue that it's questionable for people to look up to Batman for inspiration, but I say the same thing can be said about Harvey Dent because his association with Batman and his request to get kidnap Lau from Hong Kong despite having no jurisdiction is just as shady. So no, I don't buy this "White Knight" excuse either.

And any feel good momentum was destroyed for me in TDKR when he faked his death for no reason. I could buy him faking his death as Batman if he wanted to stop being a crimefighter, but not as Bruce Wayne too. I don't know about you, but if I was mourning over the death of somebody I cared about and then found out they're living it up elsewhere without telling me, I'd be extremely pissed off. I don't give a damn how much inheritance you leave behind to somebody, giving your friends and family unnecessary grief by faking your death is a reprehensible thing to do. TDK and TDKR would've been far better to me if their respective endings had the truth about Harvey being told and Bruce ends his crusade as Batman and follows his his parents' footsteps to become a philanthropist. That's how you uphold integrity.

I say that despite the faults in Schumacher's films, the endings to his films are WAY superior. BF ends with Bruce overcoming his guilt and insecurities, and decides to continue on as Batman as a choice and not a necessity. On top of that he adopts a sidekick and offers Robin guidance at a time when he badly needed it. B&R has a lot of things going against it, but the ending isn't one of them. The dynamic duo make amends and learn to work together as a team for Alfred's sake, and Batgirl's inclusion into the team/family reaffirms that Batman is not a loner anymore.   

Sorry for long post.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: JokerMeThis on Tue,  4 Aug  2015, 02:32I didn't care for Man of Steel and I think Ben Affleck looks stupid as Batman. I doubt I'll have any interest in his movie.
I can understand the issues people have with Man of Steel, but I've got to say I think Affleck looks fantastic as Batman.  In terms of the suit, he comes closest to capturing the intimidating presence of the dark knight since Keaton in '89, and as far as out of costume/as Bruce Wayne, Affleck comes far closer to looking like the dark-haired billionaire playboy of the comic-book than anyone since Adam West, and comes with the added benefit of playing the part seriously rather than for camp laughs.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Tue,  4 Aug  2015, 11:08
I've got to say I think Affleck looks fantastic as Batman.  In terms of the suit, he comes closest to capturing the intimidating presence of the dark knight since Keaton in '89, and as far as out of costume/as Bruce Wayne, Affleck comes far closer to looking like the dark-haired billionaire playboy of the comic-book than anyone since Adam West, and comes with the added benefit of playing the part seriously rather than for camp laughs.
I agree. It's almost like Jack Nicholson as the Joker in terms of his instant suitability for the role, especially when it comes to his appearance as Bruce Wayne. And Affleck's job is made a lot easier anyway with such a visually pleasing batsuit.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue,  4 Aug  2015, 12:01I agree. It's almost like Jack Nicholson as the Joker in terms of his instant suitability for the role, especially when it comes to his appearance as Bruce Wayne. And Affleck's job is made a lot easier anyway with such a visually pleasing batsuit.
As far as my favourite live-action Batsuit goes I'm torn between this one and the 1989 version.  They certainly beat any of the costumes that have appeared on-screen during the intervening years.

And Affleck as Batman/Bruce Wayne is such great casting, something which is consolidated for me by the segment of the BvS:DoJ trailer where he is caught amid the destruction of Metropolis.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Tue,  4 Aug  2015, 12:06
As far as my favourite live-action Batsuit goes I'm torn between this one and the 1989 version.  They certainly beat any of the costumes that have appeared on-screen during the intervening years.
Yeah, it's a tough decision. I'll have to give this a tie, to be honest. Both suits have different aims. B89's is more of a suit of armour whereas the Affleck suit lacks any of that. It highlights his muscular frame ala TDK Returns.

Tue, 4 Aug 2015, 23:20 #17 Last Edit: Tue, 4 Aug 2015, 23:39 by Dagenspear
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Tue,  4 Aug  2015, 10:39Look, I don't trash movies because I happen to prefer others or follow trends in liking/disliking whatever. That's just childish. I do prefer Burton's films the best, but that doesn't mean I think they're perfect masterpieces by any means. Nor am I close-minded to believe nothing will touch them. As a matter of fact, I criticize the Burton films for a few things I thought could've been handled better.

I don't like Nolan's films because I simply don't like them at all. I gave those films a chance, and I didn't like what I saw. I just don't like the way the characters are written, I find the action and acting apart from two or three performances to be sub-par and I find the plot to be incredibly poorly written. I thought the ludicrous praise for them was completely unjustified. If I complain about Batman's contradictory actions in the series, it's because I thought the writers did a terrible job in developing his character and decided to cut corners whenever it suited to tell the story they wanted to tell. After all, if I'm bothered with Batman's hypocritical "Wrong on both counts!" line to Catwoman in BR, I'm certainly going to be bothered by what I see in the Nolan films. I'll admit that I am passionate about my criticisms for the films, but I'm fed up that people won't call out their obvious flaws. If they do acknowledge the flaws exist but it doesn't bother them, that's fine. But those flaws did bother me.
But the flaws you call out aren't the flaws the movie has. And the movies do have flaws. But it's not what you've said they are.
QuoteI thought that ending was an insult to the intelligence and far from honorable or uplifting. Batman decides to frame himself because he was afraid the feeble masses could accept the truth over Harvey's crimes, which contradicts his belief that "people are ready to believe in good" during that boat crisis (and let's face it, that message was rubbish to begin with because we saw people trying to kill Reese earlier on, which means Joker already proved his point). I'd imagine that lots of people would've been equally devastated that the costumed crimefighter who saved them from terrorism became a cold-blooded killer, but whatever. Batman's idiotic handling of the situation not only betrayed everything he believed in people and his own purpose of becoming an incorruptible symbol (like he said in BB), but he tells a lie that eventually results in disastrous consequences during Bane's siege in TDKR. If the idiot really had to lie to the public, then why didn't he put the blame on the criminals he was fighting for Harvey's death, instead of risking such a dangerous scenario if the lie he chose to tell could be exposed so easily? You might argue that it's questionable for people to look up to Batman for inspiration, but I say the same thing can be said about Harvey Dent because his association with Batman and his request to get kidnap Lau from Hong Kong despite having no jurisdiction is just as shady. So no, I don't buy this "White Knight" excuse either.
It doesn't contradict his Batman's belief at all. Because the reason he had that belief when he said it to the Joker was because of Harvey. That was the clear point. We saw a few people trying to kill Reese. Not the entire city, or even all the people who had family in the hospitals. The Joker isn't proven by a few people. Especially when nobody tried to actively blow up a boat of criminals. I wouldn't say it's really questionable to look up to Batman. I don't recall Harvey requesting Batman to go after Lau. I remember Batman offering.

QuoteAnd any feel good momentum was destroyed for me in TDKR when he faked his death for no reason. I could buy him faking his death as Batman if he wanted to stop being a crimefighter, but not as Bruce Wayne too. I don't know about you, but if I was mourning over the death of somebody I cared about and then found out they're living it up elsewhere without telling me, I'd be extremely pissed off. I don't give a damn how much inheritance you leave behind to somebody, giving your friends and family unnecessary grief by faking your death is a reprehensible thing to do. TDK and TDKR would've been far better to me if their respective endings had the truth about Harvey being told and Bruce ends his crusade as Batman and follows his his parents' footsteps to become a philanthropist. That's how you uphold integrity.
The truth about Harvey was told. Bruce did try to do that. In fact Bruce did at the end. He gave the manor to the city to be used to house the orphaned children of the city. But that isn't a flaw. It's something you didn't you like or couldn't accept. Him faking his death as Bruce Wayne goes back to Alfred saying that he never wanted him to come back to Gotham because there was nothing left for him there but pain and tragedy.

Nope, I enjoy it more myself;

Batman Returns
Batman Forever/Batman 89
Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm
Batman & Robin

-------
The Dark Knight Rises
The Dark Knight
Batman Begins

Though Affleck is gonna be right up there soon enough, I can safely say

Batman Forever
Batman Returns
Batman 89
Batman and Robin.

I always have a soft spot for Forever :)
Ohhhh, that looks like fun! Lemme try! *Lemme try!* Ball up the fist, reach way back, and assert your... OW!!