Disturbing observation about "The Pit"

Started by The Laughing Fish, Wed, 29 Jul 2015, 11:48

Previous topic - Next topic
Wed, 29 Jul 2015, 11:48 Last Edit: Wed, 29 Jul 2015, 13:54 by The Laughing Fish
I've always found the Penguin had the most disturbing subtext in the Batman movie franchise because of how depraved he was and how he wanted to murder Gotham's first born children out of vengeance for being rejected by society. But lately, I've been thinking about the Pit scenes in The Dark Knight Rises, and there's something about them that I find even more sickening.

Talia spent her entire childhood in the Pit with her mother, right? When her mother was murdered, Bane looked out for  Talia and saved her once again from a gang of crazed inmates trying to attack her, ultimately allowing her to escape. Now, I can't be the only one who understood that those lunatics were about to do something vile to a child, right?

So if the Pit is supposed to be "Hell on Earth"...does this mean that Bruce was trapped underground in the company of men who may have been guilty of committing heinous crimes like molesting and murdering children? Or were they simply harmless political prisoners?

Because if it is the former, that's extremely MESSED up! That's as equally repulsive as Batman taking on the psychotic Birthday Boy, who was a serial killer responsible for murdering dozens of young girls in Earth One, Volume 1. And what would make it even worse is Bruce giving them hope to make their own escape by throwing the rope back into the hole after freeing himself from captivity.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Didn't Ra's have all those prisoners slaughtered and spared Bane? I always thought that the majority of the prisoners in present day were ones whom Bane put there (for whatever reason), well after his time in the League of Shadows.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Thu, 30 Jul 2015, 00:44 #2 Last Edit: Sun, 2 Aug 2015, 21:43 by Dagenspear
Quote from: BatmAngelus on Wed, 29 Jul  2015, 16:27
Didn't Ra's have all those prisoners slaughtered and spared Bane? I always thought that the majority of the prisoners in present day were ones whom Bane put there (for whatever reason), well after his time in the League of Shadows.
I believe Talia says that her Father took revenge on the prisoners. And the guy that was taking care of Bruce says that this is Bane's prison now. Which implies that they are at least not real bad guys. So, you're correct.