Year?

Started by galenj01, Wed, 29 Jul 2015, 10:43

Previous topic - Next topic
So it does take place in 1992, except not our 1992. Right ?  :-\

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Wed, 25 Nov  2015, 11:39
So it does take place in 1992, except not our 1992. Right ?  :-\
Not the 1950s?  :-\
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

It just doesn't add up, Johnny Gobbs. Bruce mentioned Norman Bates and Ted Bundy.

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Wed, 25 Nov  2015, 11:45
It just doesn't add up, Johnny Gobbs. Bruce mentioned Norman Bates and Ted Bundy.
I guess, but why was The Penguin going after first-born children born in the 1950s?  They'd be in their forties/thirties by 1992.  :-\
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

So it may be the 1950's, but we can't really determine how different the film's world is from the normal world... I guess it was not meant to be pinpointed.

The mixture of different aesthetics, really make Batman and Batman Returns a joy to watch. Both films have a timeless, classical and at times futuristic quality to them. Great job by Burton and Furst and Welch.

Quote from: Grissom on Thu,  3 Dec  2015, 15:59
The mixture of different aesthetics, really make Batman and Batman Returns a joy to watch. Both films have a timeless, classical and at times futuristic quality to them. Great job by Burton and Furst and Welch.

I agree!

Read this article:

http://gothamalleys.blogspot.com/2011/11/when-does-batman-take-place.html

It seems to suggest that these movies takes place in a surreal, inconsistent alternate reality where the dates are contradictory and irreconcilable. If so then no logical sense or a proper date can be made out of it.

These movies are quite surreal and clearly take place in another world and that is part of their appeal for me. These qualities apply especially to Batman Returns in my opinion.

I like alternate timelines which are better than reality. So, very good.  :)