do you think this movie takes place in another universe?

Started by batz1989, Tue, 28 Jul 2015, 18:35

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm asking this because the newspapers have events political events of 1947, but Jack Napier's police report says date prepared 6/23/1989. obviously in our reality historical events of 1947 didn't happen 1989, with fashion styles from both  decades mixed into '89. So this movie must be in a different universe, which it's pretty cool if you think about it, especially since some scientists believe there's actually different universes. but i'm probably looking to much into it, it's just a movie.
:( :'(

First, welcome to the forum!  :)

Many fans believe that it takes place in 1989, but a 1989 that is different from the real one, in which some things haven't changed much since the 1930's, but others have.

I think this movie and the sequels take place in another world. One with a somewhat different history and culture than ours. It's part of the appeal for me.

It's similar to Batman The Animated Series, where there remains a strong influence from the past, 1940's and what not, only blended into more modern influences as well (computers, ect). Thus resulting in making the overall presentation very distinct in how the film, it's sequel, and the animated series, projects itself in a unique way to the viewer which may even be considered somewhat subtle depending on how much one is paying attention...

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Mon,  3 Aug  2015, 09:08

It's similar to Batman The Animated Series, where there remains a strong influence from the past, 1940's and what not, only blended into more modern influences as well (computers, ect). Thus resulting in making the overall presentation very distinct in how the film, it's sequel, and the animated series, projects itself in a unique way to the viewer which may even be considered somewhat subtle depending on how much one is paying attention...

It's thanks to the Burton films and BTAS that gave the Batman franchise a distinctive fantastical atmosphere when you compare it to other superhero properties. Growing up, the timelessness of Gotham City became synonymous whenever I thought of Batman. And it definitely influenced the comics as a result.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

In my head-canon, BTAS takes place in a version of the 1990s which, for whatever reason, retained the stylistic sensibilities of the 1940s/1950s. A time warp.