Watching BF Right Now!

Started by galenj01, Sun, 19 Jul 2015, 22:17

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Tue, 21 Jul  2015, 09:25
Quote from: Dagenspear on Mon, 20 Jul  2015, 22:30
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Mon, 20 Jul  2015, 14:11
Quote from: galenj01 on Mon, 20 Jul  2015, 13:35
funny you should say that - he does allude to the fact that it was left open. He doesn't state that he died.

Thanks for the answer.

My guess is that Schumacher might have been thinking to use Two-Face again for another sequel i.e. a potential fifth film, as a surprise for the rest of the audience. But as time passed by, especially the backlash surrounding Batman & Robin, those plans were scrapped completely.

I for one preferred that Batman did kill Two-Face. Robin was at risk of entering the same path of self-destructive vengeance that Batman and Catwoman entered, and Batman's actions to get Two-Face killed ensured that wasn't going to happen. Experiencing Two-Face's demise allowed Robin to make peace and move with his life without having his death affecting his conscience and continuing to take his anger out on more criminals, like Bruce alluded to doing earlier on in the Batcave. Keeping Two-Face alive would only undermine this crucial character arc.
That wasn't Robin's arc. His arc concluded when he decided not to kill Two-Face. In fact, keeping Two-Face alive helps his arc.

How would Two-Face surviving the fall help Robin's arc?

It's true that Robin had a change of heart and intended to send Two-Face to jail. That was definitely a positive turning point for him as a character. But in the end, Batman's actions avenged Robin's family, and he was relieved to witness the villain's demise. The incident helped Dick to move on with his life, knowing for certain that Dent won't be able to do any more harm.

Besides, don't you think Robin would've had a little bit of an urge to seek revenge again if he found out that his family's killer was still at large?
Not really. It helps his arc by allowing Robin to push through and do and actually achieve doing the right thing. I actually think Batman taking the matter into his own hands is a part of what frustrates Robin and makes him unwilling to listen to Batman in Batman & Robin.

No. Robin in B&R was frustrated that Batman didn't trust him and take him more seriously, but the Two-Face incident was never mentioned as a factor. Any problems that happened between the two was because they didn't work as a team, until the end of the movie.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu, 23 Jul  2015, 09:33
No. Robin in B&R was frustrated that Batman didn't trust him and take him more seriously, but the Two-Face incident was never mentioned as a factor. Any problems that happened between the two was because they didn't work as a team, until the end of the movie.
I said I think. It's a fan theory.

Tue, 6 Oct 2015, 22:09 #13 Last Edit: Wed, 7 Oct 2015, 02:30 by Wayne49
I'm watching Forever right now and it's a refreshing and fun movie to watch if you haven't seen it in a while. Jim Carey really carries this movie. Tommy Lee Jones is fine but he doesn't command the screen like Carey. His over-the-top performance really helps contrast Val's Batman who is so subdued. This movie definitely needed that kind of energy to balance Batman's depressed state. It makes for a good contrast.

Quote from: Wayne49 on Tue,  6 Oct  2015, 22:09
I'm watching Forever right now and it's a refreshing and fun movie to watch if you haven't seen it in a while. Jim Carey really carries this movie. Tommy Lee Jones is fine but he doesn't command the screen like Carey. His over-the-top performance really helps contrast Val's Batman who is so subdued. This movie definitely needed that kind of energy to balance Batman's depressed stated. It makes for a good contrast.

I agree. It may not be the best Batman movie out of all of them, but it's refreshing and fun, especially thanks to these actors.

love this film!
Ohhhh, that looks like fun! Lemme try! *Lemme try!* Ball up the fist, reach way back, and assert your... OW!!