any new thoughts on Josh Trank's Fantastic Four?

Started by mrrockey, Tue, 7 Jul 2015, 05:06

Previous topic - Next topic
With the recent onslaught of TV Spots and the film being released next month, any new thoughts on Josh Trank's Fantastic Four? For me, I am still not impressed. While the movie does seem more light-hearted than it appeared at first, it still doesn't appear to have anything new to offer from the 2005 film and just seems like a bland origin story. What I'm worried about, is the film becoming a tonal mess considering the extensive re-shoots that went on supposedly due to the film lacking humor and action. Those rumours of Trank allegedly showing up high as a kite on set, verbally abusing Kate Mara, trashing his rented home, and being replaced for the re-shoots don't exactly get my hopes up either. Not saying I believe all of them, of course(though, it does seem likely there's some truth behind them considering Trank recently "quitting" Star Wars and doing so little promotion work).

What do you think? Have the TV Spots changed your mind? Do you believe those rumours to be true?

Discuss...

It honestly looks like something DC/WB would produce; very bland and dull, big overdrawn origin story. I hope I'm wrong but my initial perception seems to be too dreary, not enough fun.

http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/content/doom-not-hacker-fantastic-four-movie

That's good, maybe I'll pay attention to this film after all. The early rumors didn't make it look very attractive.

Fri, 7 Aug 2015, 10:38 #3 Last Edit: Fri, 7 Aug 2015, 10:40 by riddler
I know we need to be skeptical about the IMDB but the early ratings are 4.2 / 10
I don't know when the last time we've seen a rating that bad for a super hero film was. Here are the reviews http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1502712/reviews?ref_=tt_urv

From what I gather it seems like it tries to copy Nolans style of dark and gritty and inherits all the bad aspects of it; bad pacing, dull, boring, slow progression, lack of a pay off, no fun or humour. The actors aren't getting much credit; at least the last go round 2 of then 4 actors came off well.

I was hoping the film would turn out okay but it doesn't look like that. It's a Fantastic Four that fans didn't really want to see, and it seems they were right and Fox just wanted to milk the franchise some more with this reboot.

Last time I looked it was about 9% on Rotten Tomatoes, which even if you don't consider RT's system to be an exact science is hardly a good sign.  This would put it at the level of the failed Catwoman and Supergirl movies.

Moreover, Josh Trank has apparently been sounding off on Twitter and elsewhere about how the final film isn't his vision but something which was heavily edited by Fox without his participation.

It's a shame but I do think there's an air of "we told you so" among many of the observers of this ill-fated production.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...