Is Batman Returns still the darkest movie of the entire franchise?

Started by The Laughing Fish, Tue, 19 May 2015, 11:27

Previous topic - Next topic
That's a great description of your preference Dark Knight. I certainly understand why that moves you to the Snyder Batman. That depiction is embraced fully by Snyder. It will be interesting to see what happens with Justice League.

Quote from: Wayne49 on Wed, 23 Aug  2017, 19:19
That's a great description of your preference Dark Knight. I certainly understand why that moves you to the Snyder Batman. That depiction is embraced fully by Snyder. It will be interesting to see what happens with Justice League.
I think the direction Snyder/WB went with Batman in JL is logical. You can't really get any darker than TDK Returns Batman, but Snyder did it by ditching the rubber bullets for real bullets. So if you can't go any darker, there's only one place to go. And that's with a redemption arc where Batman reclaims a purer sense of heroism and becomes a team player again. Facts are, that's how things have to be for a shared universe. A strict loner who doesn't want to co-operate just doesn't fit in with that dynamic. And really, I'm ready for things to be loosened in that area. I'm not asking for Adam West's Batman again, but something with that same charm would be great. Batman trying to work in a team will definitely make the guy more loveable.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 25 Aug  2017, 00:14

I think the direction Snyder/WB went with Batman in JL is logical. You can't really get any darker than TDK Returns Batman, but Snyder did it by ditching the rubber bullets for real bullets. So if you can't go any darker, there's only one place to go. And that's with a redemption arc where Batman reclaims a purer sense of heroism and becomes a team player again. Facts are, that's how things have to be for a shared universe. A strict loner who doesn't want to co-operate just doesn't fit in with that dynamic. And really, I'm ready for things to be loosened in that area. I'm not asking for Adam West's Batman again, but something with that same charm would be great. Batman trying to work in a team will definitely make the guy more loveable.

I agree. At this stage I think audiences want material that is engaging but not so depressing. The world is kind of a depressing place right now and I think comic movies can serve as great escapist fun if they balance the formula properly. We need our heroes right now.

Quote from: Wayne49 on Fri, 25 Aug  2017, 10:36
I agree. At this stage I think audiences want material that is engaging but not so depressing. The world is kind of a depressing place right now and I think comic movies can serve as great escapist fun if they balance the formula properly. We need our heroes right now.

I've always thought the world has always been such a depressing place. Ever since the Raimi Spider-Man era ended, it had been a long time that I got any sense of wonder or excitement until the MCU's Phase 1 kicked in. I don't mind at all if the DCEU moves forward as escapism, as long as it's more like Marvel's Phase 1 era and less like its current form, which I find to be very underwhelming.

I optimistic that JL will end on a happy note that concludes Batman redemption arc while anticipating challenges going forward. That's my guess
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

This isn't really the right place to post this, but it's still related to the Burton batsuit aesthetic.

This has got to be one of my favorite Batman comic covers of all time:

This suit is everything to me. Black suit, yellow belt and yellow chest emblem.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 29 Aug  2017, 06:11
This isn't really the right place to post this, but it's still related to the Burton batsuit aesthetic.

This has got to be one of my favorite Batman comic covers of all time:

This suit is everything to me. Black suit, yellow belt and yellow chest emblem.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 29 Aug  2017, 06:11This suit is everything to me. Black suit, yellow belt and yellow chest emblem.
There's a storyline from No Man's Land. I forget the title but I think it was a three-parter and it was drawn by Paul Gulacy where Batman's outfit was B89. Or maybe the panther suit from BF. But that's what it was, full-stop. No gray, no blue, no trunks, nothing.

Black body suit, yellow oval, yellow utility belt.

The story was decent but the all-black suit looks a lot better on the printed page than I would've originally assumed.

Yes, I remember (this was edited some time ago for sharing)

Most of the Batman movie villains have pretty ruthless, evil plots and characterizations and so, to an extent, all the movies have somewhat dark themes. But BR probably does still have the most grotesque violence and it's neck-and-neck with TDK for grimness and intensity.

It's indeed interesting that for so long after BR comic book movies have been very reluctant to show blood.

I don't think the sexual innuendo and themes and themes are particularly intense, though, the Penguin's are pretty distasteful but watching the movie as a kid most of them went over my head and I think that would be the more common reaction.

Quote from: Andrew on Mon, 11 Sep  2017, 04:43
I don't think the sexual innuendo and themes and themes are particularly intense, though, the Penguin's are pretty distasteful but watching the movie as a kid most of them went over my head and I think that would be the more common reaction.

I know what what you mean, but sometimes the dialogue can have a double meaning. Penguin saying "Just the pussy I've been looking" when meeting Catwoman can be either literal or, ahem, vulgar.  :-[ Of course, I was too innocent to understand the latter as akid.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei