Ok, let's get real for a sec

Started by Catwoman, Mon, 4 May 2015, 10:20

Previous topic - Next topic
I see the sculpted abs as part of the theming of the costume. But I think people compaling now is a one trick pony we'll have 4 batmovies (or atleast have batman in them) since Shumachers films, I think it's time to move on.

very well then....LETS GET REAL!

....was that over the top? I can never tell!
Ohhhh, that looks like fun! Lemme try! *Lemme try!* Ball up the fist, reach way back, and assert your... OW!!

Quote from: galenj01 on Tue,  3 May  2016, 10:30
very well then....LETS GET REAL!

....was that over the top? I can never tell!

A lot of haters and critics actually like this line because they think it sums up the tone of both movies really well.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I've always laughed at this complaint because it was there in Batman Forever and no one said A WORD. The reason why no one said anything is because that film was broadly accepted, so no one went LOOKING for something to criticize. Critics had been all over Batman Returns for being too dark and graphic in nature, so there was allot of treatment embracing for the first Schumacher film. That was what set the stage for Batman & Robin to go full out with the relaxed attitudes.

And honestly if you look at those two films, they are identical in treatment. What is really the saving grace in Forever is that it was a transitional piece from the Burton films, so Kilmer gave a pseudo-Keaton performance in the beginning for Batman to keep some continuity. That evolved with the picture to the point where he had made it his own by the finale. Add in Robin's origin with the family tragedy and that film had some more serious moments to counterbalance the daffy dialogue ("Holy metal Batman") along with the nipples and butt shots. But it was all there.

I honestly think what really threw Batman & Robin into the perception blender is the fact that Clooney was asked to play Batman against type established in those previous films and that lack of continuity (No vocal or personality changes in the cowl) really threw audiences for a loop. That took their attention off the star of the movie and THEN they started noticing other things in the film to complain about. But isn't that true of all films though? When we tend to like movies we give the flaws more latitude than we do when we don't like the movie. And that's really what Batman & Robin has fallen victim to. It's this attitude of, "Well we didn't like Clooney as Batman so we're going to pile on with everything else we overlooked in Forever."

Had Clooney played Batman in the A-typical form audiences were accustom to, we probably would have never heard word one about nipples, daffy one-liners, or the colorful backgrounds that everyone seem to enjoy with Forever. So I think much of the complaints for this film are pretty disingenuous. It's as people have said. They never noticed many of these issues when they saw the film, but jumped on board when they heard crying from the herd. I don't subscribe to that thinking. It's a mindless mob mentality predicated from a small group of people that influence a larger group who can't think for themselves that has taken on a life of it's own. If you never really noticed it to begin with, why validate it when someone else brings attention to it? All the Batman portrayals have had molded body suits depicting musculature over the actors body. In an age where people watch a show called "Naked and afraid", it seems not only hypocritical but shallow minded to complain about the suggestion of a nipple. God help us if Schumacher had actually gave it a realistic depiction. Oh the outrage.  ::)

I never understood the outrage over the nipples. These suits can have detailed musculature and other anatomical features, not least of which being giant codpieces, but somehow nipples are what offended everybody? Cracker, please.

Now that we have Batgirl straddling Batman in the new animated feature, "The Killing Joke" while he grabs her rear, I don't want to hear anything else about "bat-nipples". Schumacher's approach seems almost cartoonish by comparison. How far we have sunken...

I'm going to ask a controversial question here: is there a sense of homophobia among hardcore haters of the Schumacher costumes? Schumacher had been accused of projecting his own sexuality into the movies by some critics; even TNBA took a swing at him in the Legends of the Dark Knight episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow2SVDpd8YA
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Could be. If a straight alpha male director had done it, maybe the reaction would be different.