Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders (2016)

Started by johnnygobbs, Mon, 30 Mar 2015, 15:14

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 10 Jan  2016, 18:12I think it's important the brand holds onto that light/dark balance going forward.
This. I really dig the direction WB is taking Batman at the moment. You've got this really gritty, vaguely TDKR'ish Batman in the movies right now, they're following that up with undiluted Adam West camp and there'll probably be some DTV animated films based on more recent comics. There's something for everybody (or a lot of stuff for a few people) and I'm enjoying the ride so far.

Well, I have no intention of watching the Killing Joke. But whatever, you get the idea.

They no longer seem self conscious about B66, or any other lighter version of the character. Brave and the Bold, etc. I think that's largely because like you say, all their bases are covered. The cinematic brand is no longer considered a joke. They rehabilitated his reputation with adult themes and darkness. Giving the masses Adam West isn't going to damage that progress. I'm happy where the Batman brand is at the moment.

I sincerely hope that Lee Meriwether has a part in this upcoming animated film. It's natural they would go with Julie Newmar for Catwoman, that's to be expected, but it also would be nice if Lee is somewhere in there as well. Even if it's in a cameo-like capacity, akin to her appearance in the 2003 tv movie, Back to the Batcave.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

I like how the animation looks.

https://youtu.be/3jBbWoAtaWc

I predict it will be the best animated Batman film since The Dark Knight Returns.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 20 Aug  2016, 00:00
Well, I have no intention of watching the Killing Joke. But whatever, you get the idea.

Wise move. You're not missing out on much. Although I'm a little surprised to hear that it's selling well on home video at the moment.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 21 Aug  2016, 05:23
I predict it will be the best animated Batman film since The Dark Knight Returns.
I can see that happening.

Gordon looks more like Alfred, and the other voices sound a bit off(from what we can hear of them), but the animation looks so goddamn good. Man, I can't wait to watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJkmue50gd8

Attention citizens: This terrific trailer brings back the glory days.

I have a decent B66 collection these days. The complete series Blu-Ray, all the hardcover comics and a B66 Batmobile.

Now we just need the same animated movie treatment for the Burtonverse.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 24 Aug  2016, 00:12

This movie comes out 50 years after the original show aired.

So, using my Bat-Analyzer, I have concluded we will get an original Burtonverse animated film in the year 2039.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 24 Aug  2016, 00:12

This was from a WB press release yesterday:

Quote"Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders is an excellent addition to the ever-growing canon of Batman entertainment, offering a fun, playful animated version of the character's adventures," said Mary Ellen Thomas, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Vice President, Family & Animation Marketing. "Warner Bros. Home Entertainment is proud to initiate a series of animated movies - under the new 'DC Classics Collection' brand - and honored to have Adam West, Burt Ward and Julie Newmar give life to these iconic characters."

Not saying a Burton-verse is going to happen, but I think it's much more possible now with their new "DC Classic Collection".  ;)

The dream scenario:

Michael Keaton voices Bruce Wayne/Batman for one last time.
Michelle Pfeiffer has input.
Danny Elfman returns, or at the very least, the score is inspired by those soundtracks.
The film is set after BR, introducing elements Burton would've gone with next.
The animation evokes Burton's aesthetic of Gotham.
The movie is a decent length and released in cinemas, ala The Killing Joke.

I can't think of anything better than this for a Burton Batman fan. The age of the cast doesn't matter when it comes to animation, and the perpetual agony of Burton's Batman 3 could finally be closed in some capacity. Get Burton's creative input to guide the production. Don't just guess what he would've done. Make this feel genuine.

This is a pleasing development, so let's see what happens. I can't see my dream scenario coming to pass, but in any case, I'm strongly hoping DC give the Burtonverse some attention. Those two films have a strong following and ignoring that fan base is to their detriment. If they want big money, create this movie.