will The Amazing Spider-Man movies be forgotten in the future?

Started by mrrockey, Mon, 2 Mar 2015, 02:12

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Max Shreck on Fri, 29 Jan  2016, 15:25
I felt Raimi had had the better written villains and coherent stories in his first two than Webb, while Webb had a better romance and Peter Parker characterization more to my taste.
I agree with that. The Emma Stone/Andrew Garfield combo is the TASM series' main strength. And while I liked Dunst just fine, the TASM romance was just better. But indeed, in terms of basically everything else, especially the villains, Raimi was superior in my eyes. I wish Raimi had the chance to do his fourth, but that's history. Webb's two weren't all that bad.

Glad to see people accepting different versions. I have a feeling Webb kept quite a few tricks in the bag; it seems very obvious he had bigger plans for Norman and Harry Osborn in future films. Sadly with nothing left to come, they basically become pointless characters (other than killing gwen, you could honestly remove the Osborns entirely from the films without losing plot).

One area where comic book films can fail is making the villains the main characters. None of the spidey films so far have done that, if anything some of the villains have been underdeveloped (Venom and all 3 in ASM2). For instance all the batman films get criticized to some extent at not focusing on Batman enough but nobody makes this argument for spidey films. One thing Webb accomplished as well was making entertaining films while using second rate rogues; another argument that he may have saved his best for the untold future are that Doc Ock and venom went unused.

NO doubt though even the biggest critics would have to concede that the Gwen/Peter dynamic was handled excellently. I guess the best way to view the Webb films is as they are; ignore Raimi, ignore the MCU, ignore the unresolved cliffhanger. Enjoy them for what they are and assume that Spider-man will have more adventures to come.

Marc Webb discusses the scrapped plans for Amazing Spider-Man 3

http://www.darkhorizons.com/webb-talks-scrapped-amazing-spider-man-3/

Quote"They were going to make a 'Sinister Six' movie before we did the third [Spider-Man movie]. Chris Cooper was going to come back and play the Goblin. We were going to freeze his head, and then he was going to be brought back to life... [Norman Osborn] was going to be the main villain. He was going to come out and lead the Sinister Six. We had talked about Vulture a little bit too, actually.

And then there was that character called The Gentleman. We had some notions about how to do it, but I think maybe we were thinking too far ahead when we started building in those things. But it was a fun exercise. I look back very fondly on those days."

To be honest, and even though I can't say I was a zealous proponent of the ASM franchise (though Marvel's Homecoming has made me appreciate the first ASM alot more now), this might have been interesting to see. If even just to see how Chris Cooper would have been like as a full-on active Norman Osborn Green Goblin.

With the Sinister Six, I can't say Gobby being the leader of the Sinister Six does anything for me, I guess I could have rolled with it since adaptations often play loose with the source material, but I would assume that Sony's hope of Matt Damon as Doc Ock for the Sinister Six movie would have assuredly had him leading the team in the actual Sinister Six movie. I can only guess that signing Damon up for just one film, rather than two, would have been a much easier argument on Sony's part, and Ock would have been killed off by the conclusion of the Six film, thus leaving the door open for Norman Osborn's resurrection and subsequent leadership of the Six for ASM 3.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

People ridicule the idea nowadays. But Spider-Man of all comic book characters has a ton of potential for spinoffs and something akin to a shared universe. It isn't a crazy idea.

I want my Spider-Man 2099 movie, dammit.

From what I've heard, TASM2 seems to be a much better film than Homedumming on paper.

TASM2 got grilled for downplaying Uncle Ben's importance. Hey, at least we saw him in the first film, and he was mentioned by name in the sequel. Homedumming apparently flat out IGNORES Uncle Ben. It's all about Tony Stark as the male role model. Aunt May (who has never, ever been depicted as a young woman) does not even remotely seem to be a widow who has lost the love of her life via murder. She just seems to be handled as a one-note hot mom sidejoke. Gotta say, I get they wanted to do something different, but that just sucks. Emotional depth? Gone.

TASM2's Peter fights crime because he wants to protect the city from danger. Homedumming's Peter only stopped crime to impress Tony Stark and get a starring role with the Avengers. And this happens long after Uncle Ben's supposed death (if it ever happened). He should've been way past this mentality.

Homedumming characters like Flash Thompson don't remotely look like their comic counterparts.

Young Peter retconned to appear in Iron Man 2? Get out of town.

Homedumming's computerized suit takes away a lot from the character's own skills and ingenuity in my opinion. Spider sense? Hah. Who needs that when you have a computer telling you everything. Web combinations? The computer will figure that out. This is Iron Man tech applied to Spider-Man and that doesn't sit well with me. Sure, Marvel has again tried something new. But I feel an integral aspect has been lost and I'll never back down from that. For Spidey, more so than any other character, the suit should just be a costume. The powers come from HIM, not the suit.

That's all I can really say without having seen the film.

#tobeyforlife

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 11 Aug  2017, 01:55TASM2 got grilled for downplaying Uncle Ben's importance. Hey, at least we saw him in the first film, and he was mentioned by name in the sequel. Homedumming apparently flat out IGNORES Uncle Ben. It's all about Tony Stark as the male role model.
Tony is barely in the movie and the whole story for Peter is not looking to others and being his own hero. Tony likely benefits more from this experience than Peter does. More than anything it's a tale of humility for Peter, of realizing his friendly neighborhoodness is what makes him who he is. It's the worst part of the movie unquestionably, that Ben isn't mentioned by name or talked about. But he's not ignored outright. Peter alludes to the Ben situation in Civil War and in this says that he doesn't want to upset May after all she's been thru. It's poor canon wise, but not ignoring.
QuoteAunt May (who has never, ever been depicted as a young woman)
If that's a complaint, it's a weightless one.
QuoteTASM2's Peter fights crime because he wants to protect the city from danger. Homedumming's Peter only stopped crime to impress Tony Stark and get a starring role with the Avengers. And this happens long after Uncle Ben's supposed death (if it ever happened). He should've been way past this mentality.
He's only been spider-man mere months and he was fighting crime before Tony even found him. Peter literally verbatim says in Civil War that he does what he does to help the little guy.
QuoteHomedumming characters like Flash Thompson don't remotely look like their comic counterparts.
The way they look isn't important for characters that barely matter to the story. It means literally nothing how Ned Leeds, Betty Brant, Liz Allan and Flash Thompson look. The ideal situation is that at least half looks more like their canon versions, but it's very minor that they don't.
QuoteSpider sense? Hah. Who needs that when you have a computer telling you everything.
He has spider-sense. We saw it in Civil War.
QuoteFor Spidey, more so than any other character, the suit should just be a costume. The powers come from HIM, not the suit.
Peter made the webbing, shooters, has spider-sense, strength, agility and wall crawling all on his own. Honestly I'll take this over the version that stole or bought his web from oscorp. Have a very great day!

God bless you all!

Quote from: Dagenspear on Fri, 11 Aug  2017, 02:42
If that's a complaint, it's a weightless one.
By your standards it is weightless. I'm not using your standards. My complaints about May are more than just the fact she's never been depicted as a young woman, which I don't like. Aunt May is a massively important Spider-Man character and I say she's been bungled.

Peter alludes to the Ben situation in Civil War and in this says that he doesn't want to upset May after all she's been thru. It's poor canon wise, but not ignoring.
He's only been spider-man mere months and he was fighting crime before Tony even found him. Peter literally verbatim says in Civil War that he does what he does to help the little guy.
This talk is hilarious coming from you. Colors and myself get slapped down for bringing up Man of Steel when discussing Dawn of Justice, but you bring in Civil War when talking about Homedumming.

The way they look isn't important for characters that barely matter to the story. It means literally nothing how Ned Leeds, Betty Brant, Liz Allan and Flash Thompson look. The ideal situation is that at least half looks more like their canon versions, but it's very minor that they don't.
Again, your standards not mine. Homedumming made a deliberate politically correct, diversity point with their casting decisions. The look of the characters was a big deal for Marvel. Flash looks nothing like Flash. 'MJ' doesn't look like MJ. That's just a fact. Just slapping on the name doesn't work for me. Emma Stone at least looked like Gwen.

He has spider-sense. We saw it in Civil War.
Again, you bring up Civil War in a discussion about Homecoming. But if we bring up Man of Steel in a Dawn of Justice debate, it doesn't apply for some reason.

Peter made the webbing, shooters, has spider-sense, strength, agility and wall crawling all on his own. Honestly I'll take this over the version that stole or bought his web from oscorp.
Every single incarnation of Peter Peter has strength, agility and wall crawling on his own. TASM2 isn't a perfect film by any stretch of the imagination, but in comparison to the new canon's concepts, I think it's better.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 11 Aug  2017, 03:30By your standards it is weightless. I'm not using your standards. My complaints about May are more than just the fact she's never been depicted as a young woman, which I don't like. Aunt May is a massively important Spider-Man character and I say she's been bungled.
If it's more than that, it doesn't apply to my comment, just the looks part.
QuoteThis talk is hilarious coming from you. Colors and myself get slapped down for bringing up Man of Steel when discussing Dawn of Justice, but you bring in Civil War when talking about Homedumming.
DOJ, like Homecoming, doesn't make anything matter more in the previous movies. HC has forward momentum. The situation you're bringing up I think, was trying to use the sequel to justify the first movie. Forward momentum doesn't work backwards.
QuoteAgain, your standards not mine. Homedumming made a deliberate politically correct, diversity point with their casting decisions. The look of the characters was a big deal for Marvel. Flash looks nothing like Flash. 'MJ' doesn't look like MJ. That's just a fact. Just slapping on the name doesn't work for me. Emma Stone at least looked like Gwen.
Michelle MJ doesn't look like Mary-Jane Watson because she's not. It's dumb, but that's a different issue. Flash is still bully of sorts. Batman can be played by Idris Elba for all I care, as long as it's the character. Needless racechanging is pointless and dumb, but minor.
QuoteAgain, you bring up Civil War in a discussion about Homecoming. But if we bring up Man of Steel in a Dawn of Justice debate, it doesn't apply for some reason.
CW is before HC. DOJ is after MOS.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 11 Aug  2017, 01:55
From what I've heard, TASM2 seems to be a much better film than Homedumming on paper.

TASM2 got grilled for downplaying Uncle Ben's importance. Hey, at least we saw him in the first film, and he was mentioned by name in the sequel. Homedumming apparently flat out IGNORES Uncle Ben. It's all about Tony Stark as the male role model. Aunt May (who has never, ever been depicted as a young woman) does not even remotely seem to be a widow who has lost the love of her life via murder. She just seems to be handled as a one-note hot mom sidejoke. Gotta say, I get they wanted to do something different, but that just sucks. Emotional depth? Gone.

TASM2's Peter fights crime because he wants to protect the city from danger. Homedumming's Peter only stopped crime to impress Tony Stark and get a starring role with the Avengers. And this happens long after Uncle Ben's supposed death (if it ever happened). He should've been way past this mentality.

Homedumming characters like Flash Thompson don't remotely look like their comic counterparts.

Young Peter retconned to appear in Iron Man 2? Get out of town.

Homedumming's computerized suit takes away a lot from the character's own skills and ingenuity in my opinion. Spider sense? Hah. Who needs that when you have a computer telling you everything. Web combinations? The computer will figure that out. This is Iron Man tech applied to Spider-Man and that doesn't sit well with me. Sure, Marvel has again tried something new. But I feel an integral aspect has been lost and I'll never back down from that. For Spidey, more so than any other character, the suit should just be a costume. The powers come from HIM, not the suit.

That's all I can really say without having seen the film.

#tobeyforlife

Do you think audiences would have preferred to sit through Ben's death a third time? Just like how they didn't show the spider bite because they figured the general audiences know or have seen this stuff by now, they want to see something different. If you haven't seen the film, it makes sense why you would think Tony Stark plays a big role but the reality is that Jon Favreau got more screen time than Robert Downey Jr. The movie does deal with the source of Peter's powers being his own vs. the suit.

And if you haven't seen it, you can't possibly refute this point: Michael Keaton's Vulture blows away ANY of the previous spider-man villains.

And if you haven't seen it, you can't possibly refute this point: Michael Keaton's Vulture blows away ANY of the previous spider-man villains.

Sorry, but I disagree with this. I like Keaton like everybody else here, but I saw nothing special about the Vulture.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei