Was Dr. Chase Meridian crazy?

Started by The Laughing Fish, Mon, 23 Feb 2015, 09:49

Previous topic - Next topic
It would make sense to me that Chase Meridian was crazy because I found her obsession over Batman to be abnormal. Nowhere near fit for counselling; in fact she needed some of her own.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

"No one needs therapy more than therapists." Batman to Bethany Ravencroft in Beware the Batman. lol

I think it was supposed to come off as this big contrast in her character, something out of sorts for her, but since she's doing it right from the beginning instead of us seeing her work as a therapist first, it's hard to look at it that way I guess?

See if I was doing the movies and they were meant to be like a serial like deal instead of four random adventures with little tie in to each other, in like the second one Harvey would have been seeking help from Chase for his double personalities. Harvey would have confided in his friend Bruce, who was also struggling with his own demons and tried to help Harvey's trust by telling him the least he could while keeping from saying anything "compromising" so Harvey would have recommended Bruce to Chase. Then, after Harvey was scarred, Chase and Bruce and Chase and Batman would have been working to try to help Harvey and it would have just been this big huge mess that would have sucked and they would have fired me and replaced me with Joel Schumacher. lol.

What I mean is I would have developed Chase's professional side (she's at first very dismissive of the billionaire playboy), THEN had her falling head over heels for the caped crusader. But she was never meant to be that big of a character so I guess it's fine with them if she comes off unprofessional and nuts and like another woman who has no business in her profession.  ::)

Nicole and doctors just don't seem to go well in terms of realism, she was supposed to be a brain surgeon in "Days of Thunder" when she was like 24 lol. Trivia bit, that's the movie where her and Tom fell in love! Back when he was sexy and cool as hell and not so freaking batsh*t psycho. Sigh. :(

Nicole Kidman strikes me as an intelligent woman rather than a bimbo type.  I believe her as a doctor even if she was arguably a bit too young to play a brain surgeon in 'Days of Thunder' and a published and preeminent psychiatrist in 'Batman Forever'.  It's kind of like how dumb it was having Kate Bosworth playing Lois Lane as a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist when she was only about 24/25 in 'Superman Returns' (never mind the fact that Superman had been away for several years and that she had a kid with him about seven years earlier when they were working together at the Daily Planet  ::)).

But anyway, I don't think Dr Chase was that crazy.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Chase seemed perfectly sane to me. I don't think her "obsession" with Batman was unhealthy. I think she was just a fan and found him fascinating. You'd be surprised what intelligent and sane people like to spend their free time studying and thinking about.

And she was certainly intelligent. Was she young? Yes. But this is a fantasy just like the whole idea of Batman is a fantasy too. But Dr. Chase Meridian can psychoanalyze me any time she wants to.  ;)

Quote from: JokerMeThis on Mon, 23 Feb  2015, 20:39
Chase seemed perfectly sane to me. I don't think her "obsession" with Batman was unhealthy. I think she was just a fan and found him fascinating. You'd be surprised what intelligent and sane people like to spend their free time studying and thinking about.

It's one thing to admire somebody, but Chase was too infatuated (i.e. sexually) with Batman despite the fact she was dealing with a guy who faces life and death every night, let alone not initially knowing his real identity. It's just an observation of mine that I find interesting.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: JokerMeThis on Mon, 23 Feb  2015, 20:39

And she was certainly intelligent. Was she young? Yes. But this is a fantasy just like the whole idea of Batman is a fantasy too. But Dr. Chase Meridian can psychoanalyze me any time she wants to.  ;)

Me too.

Ooop, did I say that out loud?

I think "crazy" is too strong a word. She's a perfectly sane woman. I don't think her fascination with or admiration of Batman is anything unhealthy. Especially since she's a psychiatrist and Batman is obviously a unique individual.

Plus, she obviously has a crush on him. There's nothing unusual there. People are often even more fascinated with a celebrity and admire them even more if they think they are attractive, talented, wonderful, nice, brave, etc.

I agree JokerMeThis, she may have been obsessed with Batman to some point, but I would not call her insane.