First look at Jason Momoa as Aquaman

Started by The Laughing Fish, Fri, 20 Feb 2015, 09:17

Previous topic - Next topic
This was released on Zack Snyder's Twitter.

https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder

He certainly looks tribal. Nothing like the blonde Aquaman from the comics.

This picture only convinces me that not casting him as Lobo one day is a missed opportunity.

Thoughts?
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I can't help but see Khal Drogo in that picture. I'm not against casting Momoa, but they could've made him look more like Aquaman  :-\

Pretty much looks how I expected: Khal Drogo with a trident.
They went with the bearded look from the 90s and I can't say I blame them. It's probably what I would've done anyway. Hope the pants are green and the armored pieces are orange/gold, just so he's in Aquaman colors. Otherwise, I just wish he looked blonde-er, haha.

I'm also curious if the "seventh" JL character is Green Lantern and, if so, who they're casting. We have Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Cyborg, and Flash actors confirmed. GL is the only remaining one who would fill out this roster as the New 52 JLA roster, as well as fit into the fact that they are planning a new GL movie in the future.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Meh. I see people on other forums gushing about this photo but it doesn't do much for me. I'm sick of the washed out and dark palette Snyder uses. And everybody getting around with serious and moody facial expressions. It becomes one note and so monotonous. I feel they try and show how badass a character like Aquaman is but in turn lose part of his soul. This one looks more like a Maori rugby player getting ready to perform a ceremonial dance.

I can't help but think of Sub Mariner every time I look at the guy. Photo is alright I guess, as it's about what was to be expected. Especially with all the candid photos showing Momoa with a beard and long hair. Clearly, Snyder is going for the unconventional approach. Which would help explain the appearance, and some of the casting as well...

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

The Khal Drogo comparisons are unavoidable, given the tattoos and the fact that they kept his hair dark.

But I still see Aquaman here. This is pretty much the warrior Poseidon look from the 90s, right down to the armor only covering the right arm:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4d/Aquaman17_%281996%29.jpg

It's the look I was expecting and I would've gone for emulating that design myself.

But it's the muted colors (plus it's similarity in look to Momoa's previous roles) that really prevent it from feeling like it's fully translated. Still, this isn't anything new to me. The stills released on Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman show a continuation of the washed-out muted look while making sure everyone looks oh-so-serious. Because God forbid, we have bright comic book-like colors and a sense of fun in these films...

That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 21 Feb  2015, 06:57
Meh. I see people on other forums gushing about this photo but it doesn't do much for me. I'm sick of the washed out and dark palette Snyder uses.
I like the design itself (for the reasons BatmAngelus pointed out), but the color scheme still seems needlessly muted. I just don't see the purpose, especially with a colorful character like Aquaman.