Batgirl's Mask/Suit

Started by Slash Man, Sun, 4 Jan 2015, 00:24

Previous topic - Next topic
Batgirl sported a pretty interesting suit in the movie Batman & Robin. I actually turned out to be an original design, combining aspects of the comics' classic Batgirl, along with a Robin-style mask. Furthermore, it's styled to match the gloss of Clooney and O'Donnell's suits. It's pretty memorable. In the movie, Alicia Silverstone sports two distinct suits; the original and the ice version for infiltrating Freeze's hideout. Though behind the scenes, we saw a few more. In both the action figure and the official comic adaptation, she's seen in a noticeably different suit.

First of all, we can discount the action figure because the references aren't always based on the movie; Bane is clearly based on his comic appearance. Though Batgirl still doesn't quite match up to her comic counterpart(s); the most notable change is that her hair doesn't flow freely out the back. I think the only previous version to have a full cowl was Batgirl's first costume in Batman: The Animated Series (and that was really just Barbara dressing up like Batman).

The comic adaptation actually consolidates all three suit designs. We have the original (which in this version actually seems to be made by Barbara, not Alfred), the ice version, and the final one with a full bat-ears cowl. The final suit appears at the very end of the comic, which differs slightly from the movie by showing the team of Batman, Robin, and Batgirl rushing out to solve another case. In the film, we simply see the team running towards the camera again in an homage to Batman Forever. Even though it's just in silhouette, we can see that Batgirl isn't donning the cowl.

Mike Teaves has actually shared his Batgirl concept art online, and this helps clear up the confusion:
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=54997

The original design harkens back to the classic comic design with its use of color.

(ronsrescuedtreasures.com)

The next design moves much closer towards the movie. Notice that this particular sketch seems to be the reference for the action figure; the only notable change is that the action figure is given Clooney's oval bat-symbol instead of the the full bat motif worked into the suit.

The final sketch is what was used to craft the movie suit. The suit was made darker (thought I can still see a blue tinge). And obviously, the cowl was ditched in favor of the Robin-esque mask. The comic adaptation keeps to this design all the way through, though switches out to the cowl for the ending panel. Somewhere along the line, it tweaked Teave's cowl to allow the hair to flow as in the comics (wish I could find a good picture).

To end this story, I've found that the full-mask was indeed made for the film.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jester-Fx/173805149487947
Jester Fx has acquired the original casting, and are selling molds pulled from this. Signed by Silverstone, too. This is in line with the comic, as there's empty space in the back for the hair to fit through. I can only assume it was meant to be used in a similar fashion. Was the alternate ending filmed (like with Batman Forever)? Who knows. I hope we get more info on this someday.

She did wear a cowl as a sort of motorcycle helmt during the ice vehicle chase near the end of the movie but took it off not long after the team arrived at the Wayne telescope thingie. I tried to find images from the movie itself but this is the best I could do after a few minutes:

I wish she would have kept her cowl on. I think it played pretty well like that. There wasn't much to hide regarding her identity with it off. While the character was underdeveloped, I liked her general look. Just wish the cowl had stayed on.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 30 Jul  2015, 08:34
She did wear a cowl as a sort of motorcycle helmt during the ice vehicle chase near the end of the movie but took it off not long after the team arrived at the Wayne telescope thingie. I tried to find images from the movie itself but this is the best I could do after a few minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4eF9P_c9JI

this scene shows her discard the cowl helmet once arriving at Freezes lair.

Yep. I think they should have stayed with that look throughout the movie. You know I look at all those outfits in that shot and it still fascinates me how they produced so much dismay with fans. I think they look great. The whole "nipple" complaint is so overstated. And in this day and age where we have ridiculous shows like "Naked and Afraid" running for how many seasons now? I just shake my head at the hypocrisy of it all. It's like people have to invent something to be outraged about.

Was there any particular reason why the producers chose Batgirl wearing a Robin-looking domino mask? I always thoght it was a strange choice.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei