Vicki Vale

Started by The Laughing Fish, Sat, 20 Dec 2014, 07:05

Previous topic - Next topic
Despite always thinking that Vicki Vale in this movie is the perfect example of a damsel in distress, I've always had an affection for her. She's a lot like Lois Lane; an investigative reporter who is curious about the Batman myth while falling in love with a mysterious billionaire. I guess she's like an avatar for somebody who doesn't know anything about Batman. She is charming to Knox but she kinda blows him off for a having an interest in her. Though she still regards him as a friend and an ally.

If there is one thing I could complain about her, is that she screams a little too much. Besides that, she's a-okay.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

"Damsel in distress" is thrown around a lot these days, usually to discredit films of the past that don't over-emphasize the female lead. Vicki is a character with her own motivations, who isn't afraid to stand up for herself. She even puts up a little fight when she needs to. If people can complain about a leading lady in Batman films, Chase Meridian was probably the most vanilla; I probably could see the damsel in distress description actually applying to her.

I think in Vicki Vale's case the 'damsel in distress' tag is a positive one. I'd go far by saying she's an avatar for anyone who may never knew anything about the Batman mythology before, and probably relate to her because she eventually pieces together who Bruce Wayne is and what drove him to do what he does.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I thought she was a great character, and her screaming isn't all that obvious. Kim Basinger had good chemistry with Keaton.

you can call the screaming annoying but she screamed in some horrifying situations that any real person would be startled in.

The issue is that so many superhero films later used that plot device but you can't blame the film for starting a clichee.

Saw Batman again last night and I really enjoyed her performance.  She was resourceful and smart and very intrepid in trying to get the story. Even when under attack she still tried to take pictures and even questioning Batman's motives in the Bat cave.  There are a lot of other examples but that's just just a few. And in regards to the screaming, I woukd scream too if i were caught in a war between a masked vigilante and a complete psychopath. There was something though that I didn't quite pick up before,  Vickiknew Bruce was Batman from when Bruce visited her at her apartment. It was in a behind the scenes interview,  but she wanted him to feel comfortable enough with her to say it.

Thought that was quite interesting. Wonderful and solid performance by Basinger.

I found this article on Comics Alliance of someone complaining how Vicki Vale is depicted as a "Strong Female Character"...which she doesn't like. In fact, judging by this article, the author has a huge problem with every female character that has ever been depicted in action movies.

Vicki Vale And The Superficial 'Strong Female Character

by Juliet Kahn July 1, 2014 10:00 AM

Ah, I thought, as the camera panned lovingly down Vicki Vale's high-heeled, black-pantyhose-clad legs — here she is. The Strong Female Character. The 1989 model had fluffier hair than her successors, but that's really the only significant difference. She establishes her Totally Empowered cred early, makes eyes at the hero, then gets the hell out of the way as he and the (male, naturally) villain go about the business of advancing the plot. She snaps a photo once or twice to remind us that she's a globe-trotting photojournalist — the kind of photojournalist with no compunction toward sleeping with her subjects, but hey, whatever. She ends the film in the hero's arms, fulfilling her role as reward for his victory, with nary a whisper of the professional goals that drove her to him in the first place. She is pretty and in need of rescue and almost entirely in service to the male characters' plot and characterization—but she gets to be vaguely spunky and is slapped with a typically male career, so it's totally okay.
I can only imagine the interviews that took place upon the release of Batman, touting her modernity, her break with the damsels of the past, her ineffable 1989-ness. I'm sure the crew patted themselves on the back heartily for providing the women and girls of America with such a vibrant reflection and role model.

I'm sure of these things because 25 years later, very little has changed regarding how women like Kim Basinger's Vicki Vale are portrayed: superficially empowered and ultimately disposable.

The Strong Female Character sucks. She is not strong, and she's barely a character at all — although she is, as we are abundantly reminded, female. She is never the hero of the story, but nearly always the love interest and rarely a being of true agency. She is usually the only significant female character in the whole story, if not the only female character period. She is often introduced in ways that highlight her sex appeal (long, slow pans up her body as she strides sassily towards the camera seem perennially in vogue), but don't you get any ideas, silly boys, because she's an astrophysicist! Or a journalist, or a businesswoman, or a spy, or a hacker, or some other typically male, banally "badass" job that allows the director to feel his job is done as it regards positive female representation.

She might die or suffer sexual assault to further the male character's motivation, she might spend the last act in her underwear, most of her lines might as well be "TAKE ME NOW, YOU MUSTY STALLION," but hey, she's a five-time MMA champ fighter pilot who donates her salary to an orphaned ponies preserve! And she probably gets a feisty one-liner in about how no man tells her what to do!

Sometimes she gets to punch a background mook, or kick a bad guy in the balls, or use her feminine wiles to distract the villain at a key moment, or some other inessential but highly-touted moment of violence.

She is often sarcastic; the straight man in contrast to the male characters' goofiness. In theory, these things excuse the fact that everything about her revolves around the male characters and the plot that they engage in — in practice, they slap a "Girl Power!" sticker on the same old crap we've been fed since man developed storytelling.

She is always the love interest. Her goals and dreams, if they are mentioned at all, are left by the wayside by the story's conclusion. She is often in need of rescue. She has no inner life. Quite frankly, she's lucky if her characterization extends beyond "spunky and indistinctly intelligent." She is eclipsed by the other supporting characters, who are free to develop actual personalities. She is no one's favorite.

Vicki Vale is a Strong Female Character through and through. We are informed that she is a celebrated photojournalist, but her ambitions go largely unsaid after her first few scenes — lost, as they are, in the wildly unprofessional whirl of her affair with Bruce Wayne, ostensibly the subject of her next project. Overcome by the erotic power of Michael Keaton's perma-pursed lips, Vicki goes from competent woman of the world to hysterical schoolgirl before the movie is even half over. You can practically pinpoint the moment director Tim Burton threw up his hands and said, "Okay, I won at feminism! Let's move the hell on."

Vicki spends the rest of her screen time being menaced by the Joker with increasingly sexual overtones, screaming in terror, screaming in surprise, occasionally snapping a photo and getting herself noticed by the bad guys, and swooning over Bruce.
Even her wardrobe serves Bruce Wayne. She spends most of the film in girlish white dresses, symbolizing the sweetness and light she stands to bring to Bruce's dark world as Batman (as Alfred notes, "There's a certain weight that lifts when she is here.") If there is a low point — and, simultaneously, an emblem of her role — it is when Bruce, struggling to admit that he is Batman to a confused Vicki, snaps, "You're a real nice girl and I like you a lot, but right now, shut up." Oh Vicki, no matter what your resume says you're just a moody little miss at heart!

There's also the fact that Vicki is one of the only women in the movie. There's, um, "Sugarlumps," the Joker's dotty moll played by Jeri Hall, who is later mutilated, presumably drugged into oblivion, and commits suicide. There's also the ill-fated anchorwoman who spends most of her three minutes of screen time dying and dead. And... Bruce's mom? Sure, let's count Martha Wayne, who's murdered on-screen, and the Martha Wayne-like woman who's mugged at the beginning of the film. Collectively, these women account for maybe fifteen minutes of screen time and serve as decoration or plot device.

Beyond their meager contributions, the movie is almost bizarrely devoid of women — shots of thronging reporters and bad guys are a sea of white dudes, and only a few female faces pepper crowds of confused bystanders and partygoers. Vicki isn't just the main female character — she is the only female character of substance. She stands for her entire gender, for half the population — and she does so really, really badly.

Strong Female Characters like Vicki Vale are the result of creators wanting the credit without doing the dirty work. They know relying on the wilting princesses and buxom housewives of yesteryear no longer flies, but they don't actually want to think of women as people. So women, in movies (and books, and TV shows, and everything) are placed upon a different pedestal — one that allows them to be everything and nothing at all. They karate chop without ever delivering the deathblow, they suffer for other's characterization, their bodies are splayed alluringly across any and all promotional material, but they will never be the star.

Born, as I was, in 1990, I spent my early years confronted with Vicki Vales at every turn — though in children's media they're more commonly known as Good Role Models For Girls. They were frustrating when they weren't boring. I clung to them at first, waiting for the moment when they would do more than just dance vaguely around with a wrench, proclaiming loudly that girls can fix cars TOO, you dummies! But the moment never came, and I grew bored. I gravitated towards stories like Sailor Moon, where the plethora of female characters are, by their manifold nature, allowed to develop naturally. I eschewed comics for the Warner Bros. cartoons based on the DC Comics heroes, where at least there were two girls on the Justice League and the Teen Titans. I learned to grit my teeth through otherwise interesting media that indulged the omnipresent flaw.

And, in time, I learned that I was not alone in my frustration. No one really likes the Strong Female Character. No one leaves the theater talking about how fantastic her back story was or how moved they were by her heroism. She is, as female characters have been throughout history, a fantasy object for men — to be enjoyed, then disposed of (note how easily she is replaced by Catwoman in Batman Returns — although Vicki Vale warrants at least an awkward conversation about her absence, unlike countless Bond girls of cinema history).

To women, the Strong Female Character is, under a particularly benign interpretation, a model to aspire to. More truthfully, she is an agent of control, albeit one in disguise. But her Krav Maga skills don't liberate her — they just add to the laundry list of things women are supposed to be for men. She's sexy, but not ****ty. She's smart, but not nerdy. She's spunky, but not a bitch. In the years since Batman '89 she's become a badass — but never at the expense of the male hero.

I am not the only person (and definitely not the only woman) to call bullsh*t on this, but the Strong Female Character endures. In superhero movies, she's pretty much the only mold for female characters of any elevated prominence. She is nearly every major female character in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. She's probably going to be Gamora in August's Guardians of the Galaxy. I'd bet cold hard cash that she will be Zack Snyder's Wonder Woman. In these kinds of films, the Strong Female Character is, effectively, all women. And yet year after year the reviews roll in, naming these characters as the weakest parts of the film, the romances they are so defined by boilerplate, and their scenes dramatically leaden.

There is profit to be made in actual characterization. Witness the massive female following Mako Mori of Pacific Rim inspired nearly overnight. The parameters were barely shifted, but in getting a little more screen time, a little more independent characterization, and in being freed from the constraints of Love Interest, Mako gained a soul and made the movie better.

Along those lines, we are asking, as we have always asked, to be afforded the respect so unthinkingly given to men. We are asking to be seen, and depicted, as individuals on our own terms. We are asking creators to make, in effect, more nuanced, more carefully crafted, more thoughtfully considered movies. Which is what they're supposed to be doing anyway.

There were a lot of things I enjoyed about Burton's Batman. His Gotham felt right to me in a way no other director's ever has. The art direction was incredible. I totally, shamelessly enjoyed Prince's soundtrack. But Vicki Vale wasn't just irritating to me as a feminist — she was irritating to me as someone who enjoys well-told stories. The Strong Female Character does not represent women, does not inspire girls, and does not entertain moviegoers. Twenty-five years after Batman '89, It's time for her to hang up her boxing gloves, put up her perfectly waxed legs, and retire for good.

Source: http://comicsalliance.com/stop-the-press-vicki-vale-and-the-superficial-strong-female-character/

I enjoyed Vale in Batman. She was intrepid,  inquisitive and a tender hearted heroine. She was the balance in the madness. In fact the reason she wore white at the movie's finale was deliberate in depicting her as the light in the darkness.

See behind the scenes of Batman.

Her two scenes with Keaton in the Batcave remains two of the best scenes in the Bat franchise.  Wonderful performance by Basinger.

I too have a long affection for the Vicki Vale character, thanks in large part to Kim Basinger in Batman 1989.

I also remember always being a bit annoyed by the DC Comics Batman titles, over the sheer lack of Vicki Vale when I first began consistently reading them back right before the whole Knightfall storyline kicked off. I later saw that, thanks to the back issue bins, she did infact make some appearances during the late 80's, very early 1990's, but was noticeably and unfortunately (atleast in my estimation) absent for the overwhelming majority of the decade.

Fortunately, the 2000's were a little more kinder.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Wed, 22 Apr  2015, 04:55

I too have a long affection for the Vicki Vale character, thanks in large part to Kim Basinger in Batman 1989.

I also remember always being a bit annoyed by the DC Comics Batman titles, over the sheer lack of Vicki Vale when I first began consistently reading them back right before the whole Knightfall storyline kicked off. I later saw that, thanks to the back issue bins, she did infact make some appearances during the late 80's, very early 1990's, but was noticeably and unfortunately (atleast in my estimation) absent for the overwhelming majority of the decade.

Fortunately, the 2000's were a little more kinder.

Vicki Vale did appear in the comics in the early 80s during Gerry Conway's run. She had an on-and-off romantic relationship with Bruce while gathering photographic evidence to prove he is Batman.